T1 Towing Mirrors! Good and Bad News!

GM has available now factory camper mirrors!  Time for a nice run down on them and what is involved. 

What they are:  Factory tow mirrors.  https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/extended-view-tow-mirrors-in-black-84731241?year=2020&make=Chevrolet&model=Silverado%201500&categoryId=98023

Price? Part #?  84731241 is the #, MSRP for the mirror package is $730. 

What do they feature?  Includes lower convex spotter glass, as well as cargo lamps, clearance lamps and integrated turn signal indicator.  Manual extend and manual fold.

The good:

-GM has factory tow mirrors available as an accessory for trucks that don't have them!

The bad:

- 2020+up ONLY at the moment.  They do NOT list them for 2019.

- They DO REQUIRE HARNESS SWAPS.  Both front doors require new door harnesses.

- If you have the front spotter lights in the mirrors or have blind spot alert, THESE WILL NOT WORK! 

- BCM calibration required for ALL models to make all lighting function. 

If you have the dealer do it, its about 3.6 hours. 

Harness numbers will be listed below:

2020-2021 Crew and Double Cab with KEYED ignition and DLF mirror:  84622369 and 84622370

2020-2021 Regular Cab with KEYED ignition and DLF mirror:  84622376 and 84622380

2020-2021 Crew and Double Cab with PUSH BUTTON ignition and DLF mirror: 84622371 and 84622372

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

It still amazes me that GM puts out a vehicle with a towing package and doesn't include mirrors.  What were they thinking.  Then to offer them up for the next model year and change them to the point that they will not work on the previous year.  Again, what were the engineers thinking!!!!!!

What is the point in not making them power folding?  I don't think everyone that parks in a garage is wanting to get out and manually fold them every time so they can park inside. 

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 1

Coming from a Max Tow i was looking forward to swapping my mirrors out just to find this out? This is annoying and stupid on GM’s part but in their “eyes” it forces those with 19’s to buy new trucks so they can keep pumping them out. I guess I’ll wait for Boost or somebody to come out with a solution...

• Like 1

I’m sure they would bolt up. But the dealer ain’t gonna program them to function. Plus everyone with an LTZ and up, and anyone with the Safety Package on the lower trims is screwed anyway. They are only offered manual fold, no blind spot monitor, no cameras. 

If we just have plain side mirrors without power folding or blind spot monitoring could we swap them? Assuming we would have to get out and adjust the mirrors by hand of course. Not like I really adjust them all that often anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, tstephansen said:

If we just have plain side mirrors without power folding or blind spot monitoring could we swap them? Assuming we would have to get out and adjust the mirrors by hand of course. Not like I really adjust them all that often anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Yes, and the 2020 tow mirrors will bolt up to a 2019,  just no functionality in the power department.   All manual.

Edited by Black02Silverado

so i have a lt trailboss...no power fold, camera or lights...so if i got these are you saying they will bolt on but i will not be able to adjust the mirrors ? im aware they wont fold, cant do that know anyway. i also believe there is a defrost feature in our mirrors...i assume that woulsnt work as well based on what ur saying ? 

4 hours ago, mfbearded said:

so i have a lt trailboss...no power fold, camera or lights...so if i got these are you saying they will bolt on but i will not be able to adjust the mirrors ? im aware they wont fold, cant do that know anyway. i also believe there is a defrost feature in our mirrors...i assume that woulsnt work as well based on what ur saying ? 

Correct, they will not work since the harness is different from the 2020 to 2019. 

I wonder how the harness is different. If the factory mirrors are only power adjustable with heat what would make the tow mirrors function differently. Both are just small motors and a heating element. I think a harness should be pretty easy to make to adapt them. 

Why would you need to reprogram anything? They are performing the exact same function. 

2 hours ago, Adhutch85 said:

I wonder how the harness is different. If the factory mirrors are only power adjustable with heat what would make the tow mirrors function differently. Both are just small motors and a heating element. I think a harness should be pretty easy to make to adapt them. 

Why would you need to reprogram anything? They are performing the exact same function. 

One thing would be a button on the door for power extending.  Our 2019's don't have one, just power folding.  So there is that to be added.

• Like 1