GM continues to sell the discontinued models into the next model year alongside the newer design if there is one to get rid of excess inventory parts and rebrand the remaining stock with the new model year just to dump them........did it with the '16 Malibu, did it with the '19 Silverado, did it with the '16 SS and currently dumping stock of the 'last of the 17 Impalas as '19s....may even sell some of them as '20s because they can't get rid of them........worst resale value since the Yugo.

That’s absolutely UNTRUE! I’ve got an 18 and can get close to what I paid for it on trade. There are many specific issues every model and year doesn’t mean they’re jumping boat when moving on, it’s what every manufacturer is doing. The 19’s and 20’s and so on will have their issues too. There are countless amounts of people having issues with their 19’s already and I’m sure the 20’s will too.

Sent from Above

13 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Well who do you believe the Government or your own lying eyes? Domino theory ring a bell? How about weapons of mass destruction? They base their estimates upon whatever they deem most suitable to produce the results they determine ahead of time. 

I see. You're the frog that been boiled so slow you're now frog legs. Don't get me wrong you are certainly right on the fact people NEED more STUFF now than they did then. No argument there. But I doubt that any GOV would publish wage and goods tables that show utter failure on their part. Usually works the other way around. The numbers I reviewed were 'average wages' across all trades both blue and white v all goods, durable, soft, food and energy. It may be some trades faired better and that and would certainly explain some of the difference in experience but.....on the whole.... There are regional differences as well but again on whole.....

In the decade before the 2007 crash wages were up year over year less than 3% while cost of goods advanced over 4%. Housing was off the chain. Some areas tripled real estate values. Homes out of reach for new buyers even at historically low interest rates. People pulled equity to by JUNK and when it crashed..... 8 TRILLION dollars went up in smoke. I have a very close friend put a bullet in his head over that crash when his notes were called. Just a single decade produced a 10% wage v goods compression. Are those the lying eyes your talking about? Most people I worked with lost 70% + of there retirement savings. Those broken people bailed out who? Did I imagine that as well?

I more that doubled my retirement fund and aside from that paid off my house during that crash by not being duped by unsustainable advances in the markets. I didn't pull equity to buy a depreciating, rusting, designed to fail asset. I wasn't fooled then and I'm not fooled now. 

I bought a new car in 76 whose cost was $5K. The equivalent vehicle today is right at $50K. My wages in 76 were $12 an hour what would my wages be today if it matched cost of goods? $120 an hour!! I retired in the same business maxing out at $36/hour. Less than that actually. Salary at the end, so more hours same money. Productivity and all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

That’s absolutely UNTRUE! I’ve got an 18 and can get close to what I paid for it on trade. There are many specific issues every model and year doesn’t mean they’re jumping boat when moving on, it’s what every manufacturer is doing. The 19’s and 20’s and so on will have their issues too. There are countless amounts of people having issues with their 19’s already and I’m sure the 20’s will too.

Sent from Above

there is no what that truck is worth what you paid.

41 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I’ve gotten offered close to what I paid cause I bought my truck $16K off the MSRP.

Sent from Above

I can believe that I traded in my 2017 Colorado and got 23500 for it and I paid 27000 for it 2 years ago.

22 hours ago, Yoda2 said:

The service department at the NJ dealership saw that my volt meter was reading erratically and below 14 v.

Not knowing that the new technology shuts off the alternator when its not needed, they changed the battery at no charge.

That tech has been in use in GM trucks well before the T1's came out. Goes back to at least 2014 or so. 

22 hours ago, ickyoldman said:

I think he is right........These new trucks have too much crap on them and lots of it breaks.  My last good truck was my 04 2500.  My 2016 feels like I am driving a wad of tin foil with technology.  Won't buy another.....

I ask this as someone who's researching my first truck purchase: What do you think you'll buy instead? 

Edited by Cpl_Punishment
Clarify intent of question
  • Like 1

I don't want to disagree with anyone on either side of the wage discussion but I'll share my perspective, which I know is only one very small portion of it. When he was my age, my dad made about 80% of my current salary but the house he bought at that stage of his life cost about 40% what mine did (which is close to what his would sell for now). Given that housing is generally a family's largest expense, that feels significant. 

Edited by Cpl_Punishment

6 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Sent from Above

Yeah, a trade....try sell it back to the dealer for that price or go to Carmax and see how much cash they'll give you....that's the true worth of the trade. I can get what I paid for my '18 Traverse, provided I buy a new one for close to MSRP and with a Silverado there was a helluva lot more wiggle power. I paid $42K rollout including tax and tags for a $56.4K MSRP '19 and they gave me $32K trade in allowance for my '16 Silverado (original MSRP $47.2K) which listed a Kelly Blue Book in excellent condition for $28.5 and which I only asked $30K. Why because with a trade the ONLY thing that matters is the bottom line, not the MSRP, not the Invoice and not the value of the trade.

Test rode half a dozen to break chops and wear them. I decided on the $56.4 MSRP RST and returned the next day, same way I always buy them. Blew off the salesman and went to the sales manager and said "let's dance". My bottom line is $42K out the door on that overpriced RST that's been sitting for over 4 months, adding who was stupid enough to order a $42K vehicle with over $14K in options pricing it above a LTZ. I don't care how you break it down or play with the figures but the bottom line on the bill will read $42,000...for a balance of $12K cash and my trade.......money talks bullshit walks. How he did it was to write up the trade for $3.5K over KBB excellent which was $2K more than I asked and even saved more money on the included tax differential.

Bottom line was I paid $12000 cash for a '19 RST that MSRP stickered for $9,200 more that the 3-1/2 yo '16 and including saved $1000 in differential sales tax and $50 in title and tag transfer. That's a total layout of $1,750 in vehicle cost equivalent to paying off $45/mo. for the 39 months I owned it - try and rent a lease one for that!  That convoluted logic is how I rationalize it and wife's been going along with it for the past 48 years.

And as far as trade in value, forget teething pains on the new one, I never buy the last year model before a body change. Yes they are more likely to be more dependable if not older tech. But consider this: in 2021 the '19 will still have a current body style and the '18 (and fake '19 LD) will have a 5 year old body style.... demand will dictate a much higher trade value for a new design model than a 5 year old discontinued design model.

And as far as my decision in dumping a cherry '16 in favor of the new T1 and glad I did......has the later 8 speed with stock Mobil 1 fluid and non rattle GM front axle......no problems whatsoever.....even the notorious roof pop settled down to a slight tick......great ride, everything works perfect, even the dealer installed OEM Nav.....and the all around LED lighting, especially the 6 individual LED headlamps on high beam is fantastic, the small lens HID projectors with shutters on low beam on my former '16 were piss poor in comparison..

2 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I ask this as someone who's researching my first truck purchase: What do you think you'll buy instead? 

Nothing!  Until some manufacturer ups it's game in quality and presentation and value.  I will drive my current POS until it dies or I die.......Anything newer than my 2016 will have more crap on it than mine does thus just more likely to break.

9 minutes ago, ickyoldman said:

Nothing!  Until some manufacturer ups it's game in quality and presentation and value.  I will drive my current POS until it dies or I die.......Anything newer than my 2016 will have more crap on it than mine does thus just more likely to break.

And if your POS dies before you do? 

I'm leaning towards a Tundra but they have weak payload, ludicrous fuel economy, leaks at both ends, no transmission cooler as of 2019 (meaning ~50 degF higher transmission temps than the ones that ran for a million miles) and they're full of safety technology that was also rushed to market and tends not to work right. 

9 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I don't want to disagree with anyone on either side of the wage discussion but I'll share my perspective, which I know is only one very small portion of it. When he was my age, my dad made about 80% of my current salary but the house he bought at that stage of his life cost about 40% what mine did (which is close to what his would sell for now). Given that housing is generally a family's largest expense, that feels significant. 

Not really an accurate measure considering the advanced education and increased opportunities afforded me over my dad's generation. In his best year my father at the same age made less than 20% of my salary at retirement 50 years later. And his last house sold went for 16% of what my last house sold for 20 years later....a really inaccurate indicator since today the house he sold would easily go for 2000% over what he sold it for and at least double what mine current one is  worth. The Hershey bar is the only real accurate indicator of inflation.

• Like 1