GM is presently leaking information on their 2020 and 2021 trucks, specifically Sierras and Silverados.

Wow, they look beautiful ............ but the body work hides a truck full of problems.

I think they need to take a step back and reevaluate the crap they are throwing our way.

Their adds promote all kinds of wonderful technology both mechanical and electrical.

It all sounds so wonderful, in an idealistic way ... but it just doesn't all work as promised.

Our VERY EXPENSIVE trucks are nothing more than dolled up scrap metal.

Our engines are failing prematurely, brake systems continue to fail, ProTail Gates don't operate as promised and leak every time it rains.

Even simple things like a simple back up cameras fail to initiate on a regular basis.

Our computer screens exhibit either the blue screen of death or a totally black screen.

The servicing dealers scratch their heads as they don't have the answers we all need.

I spoke with the manager of the GMC dealer on Long Island where I purchased my Sierra SLT and his exact words were,

"GM is putting too much technology into these vehicles. Technology that is not proven, tested or properly supported. .....

( he went on to say ) They ( GM )  build them and we "try" to fix them. We don't know what to do or how to do it"

My own truck is 5 months old and I have not had one week of trouble free use.

I get calls from the GM Customer support line on a weekly basis asking what's happening and I tell them about my woes.

AND NOTHING HAPPENS.

I want my truck fixed once and for all, I want my warranty extended.

On no less than 5 occasions I have made appointments to have my Sierra serviced, only to drive 35 mile to my dealer and find out they don't have a technician available,

or I'm given some other lame excuse as to why they can't honor their appointment obligation.

What is the purpose of making an appointment weeks in advance if this continues.

How many of you are undergoing the same or similar experiences.

Please use this forum  " Lipstick On A Pig" as your thread to vent.

This is in hopes that someone at GM may wake up and start to care.

• Like 3

Very expensive? No relatively cheap for what you are buying! Everything is relative to ones scope of experience, in fact they are no more expensive than they ever were and safer, easier to drive and more creature features than their predecessors.

Back in 1960 my dad paid $2,000 for a new Impala when current $1.00 size Hershey bars cost $0.05, a carton of cigarettes was $2.00, gas was $0.23 a gallon and $1500/oz. gold was $35.00/oz. and average salary was less than $4,000 yr.And all the Impala had was power steering, power brakes, tube radio and two antennae. Today a comparable Impala is $40,000 (for an inflation factor of 20x) which is about the same as a moderately equipped truck....with air conditioning, power windows and door locks, seat belts, air bags radial tires, antilock brakes, etc, etc. So no.....no more expensive than they ever were.....and they come with a lot more crap to break.

And as far as dependability, $hit happens to those that go looking for it. Fuel injection, electronic ignition....Haven't had a car flood while trying to start or stall out on the highway in 30 years or had to jamb a screwdriver to open the choke and shoot in ether on a freezing morning.....turn the key or now push the button and no more thinking. People complain about the first hard 1-2 upshift  after a cold start....try driving 60s GM 2 speed Powerglide that holds first to 40 mph before to shifting 2nd like a mule kicked it in the ass.

Over 3K miles on my '19 Silverado and not a thing wrong with it. Same goes for my '18 Traverse and Malibus, in fact the Traverse rides better than any Chevy (possibly with the exception of the '74 Impala Custom which got 6 mpg on a 454 cid) I've owned in the past 50 years. No matter what you buy same metal, rubber, plastic and electronic crap in all of them assembled and painted by robots. Want to maximize you're odds, go for pick of the litter, test drive them all, forget about color, buy with a "1" or "2" in the VIN, cross your fingers and dump when the warranty is up.........works for me.

After all, it's only a freakin' truck. Love my wife and kids and keep them for the duration, like my dogs and keep for their lifespan, but the truck? always a newer one with more features waiting on the lot.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Yoda2 said:

GM is presently leaking information on their 2020 and 2021 trucks, specifically Sierras and Silverados.

Wow, they look beautiful ............ but the body work hides a truck full of problems.

I think they need to take a step back and reevaluate the crap they are throwing our way.

Their adds promote all kinds of wonderful technology both mechanical and electrical.

It all sounds so wonderful, in an idealistic way ... but it just doesn't all work as promised.

Our VERY EXPENSIVE trucks are nothing more than dolled up scrap metal.

Our engines are failing prematurely, brake systems continue to fail, ProTail Gates don't operate as promised and leak every time it rains.

Even simple things like a simple back up cameras fail to initiate on a regular basis.

Our computer screens exhibit either the blue screen of death or a totally black screen.

The servicing dealers scratch their heads as they don't have the answers we all need.

I spoke with the manager of the GMC dealer on Long Island where I purchased my Sierra SLT and his exact words were,

"GM is putting too much technology into these vehicles. Technology that is not proven, tested or properly supported. .....

( he went on to say ) They ( GM )  build them and we "try" to fix them. We don't know what to do or how to do it"

My own truck is 5 months old and I have not had one week of trouble free use.

I get calls from the GM Customer support line on a weekly basis asking what's happening and I tell them about my woes.

AND NOTHING HAPPENS.

I want my truck fixed once and for all, I want my warranty extended.

On no less than 5 occasions I have made appointments to have my Sierra serviced, only to drive 35 mile to my dealer and find out they don't have a technician available,

or I'm given some other lame excuse as to why they can't honor their appointment obligation.

What is the purpose of making an appointment weeks in advance if this continues.

How many of you are undergoing the same or similar experiences.

Please use this forum  " Lipstick On A Pig" as your thread to vent.

This is in hopes that someone at GM may wake up and start to care.

Seems to me that most of your issues are with the dealer. Change dealers.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Yoda2 said:

I call BS.  

• Like 3

Because you are buying the hardware. It's like computers or video games now, they rush to release the hardware (your truck) with tons of issues with the software. They just constantly change and update the software down the road to iron out all the bugs. Much like your cellphone updates. These aren't trucks anymore, they are more like computers and they are chasing away home mechanics so you have to go to the dealer to have the "problems" "fixed" with "updates". Its not like your water pump fails and you bolt a new one on and go like your 98 Chev. Now you get hardware with junk, unready software they can play with over the 5 years of ownership. What do you do with a 5 year old computer after tech has advanced? You throw it in the dump. Will GM still be redesigning and applying software updates to a 2015 truck in 2027? Most likely not. They are more expensive, last half as long, and are plagued by reliability issues due to a computer-like approach to new vehicles. Its not just GM, it's all of them now. 

27 minutes ago, Fuelie said:

Troll

Agreed, the issues he listed I haven't heard anything about. Motor failures? Leaking tailgate (it is supposed to, it isn't sealed), braking issues? If these trucks have too much in there I would hate to see what he has to say about Dodge... Where is the list of his problems? If he does he is one of the few in relation to the amount of trucks built. Useless and baseless post trying to bash something, exactly what a troll would do. 

Tyler

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

Agreed, the issues he listed I haven't heard anything about. Motor failures? Leaking tailgate (it is supposed to, it isn't sealed), braking issues? If these trucks have too much in there I would hate to see what he has to say about Dodge... Where is the list of his problems? If he does he is one of the few in relation to the amount of trucks built. Useless and baseless post trying to bash something, exactly what a troll would do. 

Tyler

looks at the troubleshooting page. plenty of threads that support what he is saying. I wouldn't say a lot of engine failures but many people had a oil cooler line blow and it destroyed the engine.  Plenty of people are having lifter failure and lifter noise. 

Edited by ct_corey
spelling

3 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Maybe I missed it on this forum (or don't remember): who's had an engine failure on their T1?

There's at least one user that has had to have their engine replaced due to the oil lines coming lose and starving it of oil, but that's not exactly the same as an 'engine failure'. 

My '19 SLT PP X31 has been flawless, sorry you're having issues with yours OP. 

Edited by jlong1984
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, jlong1984 said:

There's at least one user that has had to have their engine replaced due to the oil lines coming lose and starving it of oil, but that's not exactly the same as an 'engine failure'. 

My '19 SLT PP X31 has been flawless, sorry you're having issues with yours OP. 

Thanks. I don't recall reading about that. Do you remember which engine? 

Sounds like a troll, no specific problems mentioned no vehicle info. When I make an appointment to get my truck looked at they tell me to drop it off first thing and ask if I need a loaner depending on how long they think it’s gonna take.they tell me the appointment is the time to look at the vehicle and not the time to bring it in. It’s first come first serve the appointment really doesn’t matter. Never had problems with that dealer and have had zero issues with my Silverado I do need to get the brake pad life updates I have 4500 miles and 48% brake life lol 

• Like 2