So I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 5.3 3.42 gears with towing package(not NHT).  I have installed Bilstein 5100s on all four corners. Tow mirrors being shipped as we speak. Air bags are up next.  Here is my dilemma. My wife has her heart set on a Forest River Vibe 32BH.  It is 38 feet long, dry weight of 7400#, cargo capacity of 2300# and a hitch weight of 930# fully loaded.  I don’t plan to ever haul with full water, and I highly doubt I ever put 2300# of gear in it. We plan on towing it in our local area with 1 trip a year from Virginia to New York.  I will also be the only one in the vehicle when towing as she and the kids will go in our van.  Just want to get some of your thoughts on this setup. Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Brandon Raphael Mattingly said:

So I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 5.3 3.42 gears with towing package(not NHT).  I have installed Bilstein 5100s on all four corners. Tow mirrors being shipped as we speak. Air bags are up next.  Here is my dilemma. My wife has her heart set on a Forest River Vibe 32BH.  It is 38 feet long, dry weight of 7400#, cargo capacity of 2300# and a hitch weight of 930# fully loaded.  I don’t plan to ever haul with full water, and I highly doubt I ever put 2300# of gear in it. We plan on towing it in our local area with 1 trip a year from Virginia to New York.  I will also be the only one in the vehicle when towing as she and the kids will go in our van.  Just want to get some of your thoughts on this setup. Thank you. 

You should be ok, but expect poor fuel mileage.  Due to the length and weight, make sure you are using a weight distribution hitch with a strong sway bar.  The length and the sway is what I'd be worried about most. 

Be sure your brakes and the trailer brakes are in good shape.  Getting that trailer going won't be so bad, it's slowing it down in a hurry that would be concerning.

I towed a skid steer with my 2014 1500 Crew cab 5.3L, and I don't have NHT either.  Must have weighed over 10k lbs, it was really heavy.  Braking in traffic was adrenaline pumping consider the trailer had no brakes on it.  

Anyways, you should he fine, these are tough trucks.

Might want to look at a tuner and a Lew tune. Also e85 if it's a flex fuel truck, the extra horsepower makes a difference. Maybe look into upgrading the brakes. Factory brakes are decent, but ceramic pads and factory rotors aren't the greatest for stopping power. Some severe duty pads and slotted rotors make stopping much better. Also watch your trans temp, if you're running over 200 might want to do some trans tstat mods. My truck seems to stay below 200 hauling a trailer with quads and dirt bikes around 4000 pounds in 90 degree heat at 80mph, but not everyone's does. I assume you'll have a weight distribution hitch, if not that's probably one of the most important things to have.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I've always said  if you have start adding stuff to handle the extra load , you don't have enough truck.

Is this your first trailer? 

Sure it will tow it. It's going to a handful though.

It more than likely weighs more than advertised and the hitch weight is usually more too. Batteries, propane are on the hitch too they don't count that. You are never going to haul it empty either . They all say that.

I've gone through this recently and looked at that same Trailer. Too big for me . The Vibes are nice for the money. 

Also you are really limiting where you can camp with a trailer that big. It won't fit in most campsites.

• Like 1

I've always said  if you have start adding stuff to handle the extra load , you don't have enough truck.
Is this your first trailer? 
Sure it will tow it. It's going to a handful though.
It more than likely weighs more than advertised and the hitch weight is usually more too. Batteries, propane are on the hitch too they don't count that. You are never going to haul it empty either . They all say that.
I've gone through this recently and looked at that same Trailer. Too big for me . The Vibes are nice for the money. 
Also you are really limiting where you can camp with a trailer that big. It won't fit in most campsites.

I’d have to agree. For a trailer that size, I’d definitely want an HD for the extra strength and braking power alone. I’ve borrowed my buddy’s trailer that was around 7000 lbs loaded up on a few occasions, and my 1500 did ok (same exact specs as OP), but my F250 6.7 was a world of difference in the handling and braking dept.
  • Like 2

I’ve been researching lite travel trailers. First you have to figure out what you really need. Not so much the biggest, I’m certainly guilty of that. Then the truck capacity, gas mileage etc. For fun work backwards. There’s amazing small lite weights out there that wouldn’t break the bank or truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 7/10/2020 at 5:50 PM, Brandon Raphael Mattingly said:

Karnut is right.  There are some very nice, lighter trailers for 1/2 tons.  We found the Winnebago line a good balance of size ,comfort, looks, weight and price. If the trailer you are proposing is your first, you will have a poor trailering experience.  Just the extra fuel and underwear you will go through will be shocking and spoil your experience.  Rent a trailer or two first and take some trial trips.  It will cost you but may save you a whole lot more!

• Like 3

Laughable as this sounds I was just looking to be able to travel with little stranger interaction. Not camping. I’m now building in my mind alternatives to the camper. I can buy a regular small trailer. Add a decent compost toilet, ac-heat, and generator for around 2500$. And it be lite enough not to hurt fuel mileage too much. Yea, my wife laughed at me too.

I'm thinking about getting one of these . 29'4" 5450 dry weight
I just picked up my current trailer about six weeks ago and used it 4 times now and it's okay but it's a 2004. I'd sell it in a heartbeat.
The Alpha wolf is better insulated ,has more features and imo nicer than the Vibe.
Better deal too.
I'll tow this all day long with my 18 5.3 stock truck.4f4875f2b1cc537f325bfe5c5effea3f.jpg4b6512a14f14490d1be8f44639c1d252.jpg1d62f1d68efb8c4d68e1e3df55f65c69.jpg3901d6870ea396ac39e933df905babf4.jpg2f1139084266372d6eb6893e4aba6d6b.jpgf9a441aa31347b8e25a14479eda95241.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Back 2010, I bought a new 31BH TT from Forest River, to pull behind my 1500 with almost identical setup as your truck. On the 75 mile trip home with the new camper, I decided I would never tow it again with a half ton. Too much trailer to stop safely in an emergency situation was obvious. Nothing to do with the power to get it going... ALL about stopping it. Luckily, I was also buying a 2500HD dmax at same time to start a business. Night and day difference from a tranny and braking capability. Still holds true today on the newest trucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Back 2010, I bought a new 31BH TT from Forest River, to pull behind my 1500 with almost identical setup as your truck. On the 75 mile trip home with the new camper, I decided I would never tow it again with a half ton. Too much trailer to stop safely in an emergency situation was obvious. Nothing to do with the power to get it going... ALL about stopping it. Luckily, I was also buying a 2500HD dmax at same time to start a business. Night and day difference from a tranny and braking capability. Still holds true today on the newest trucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My cousin has a similar trailer. His is a 2014-2015. I think it's 37 ft. It's huge. 2 slides.

He tows it with an older Suburban 2500 with a tuned 8.1.

It's lifted on 35's and has Wilwood brakes all around. Aftermarket tranny cooler and oil cooler. When that thing downshifts it picks up speed instantly. He can stop it pretty good too. In the wind it sucks though. They use it almost every weekend. He Cat scaled the setup loaded on the way to the Black Hills and it was over 16,000.

They have TTs that are very lite. There’re open concept with a door for the bathroom. Some have bunks with a convertible to bed dining table. Easily towable by an SUV or half ton. As far as brakes the brakes on the trailer should be able to stop the trailer. One of the first questions I would ask when or if I buy one.

Always go by the Gvwr of the trailer which is too much for your current truck.  you will easily be overloaded.  Also a safe bet to stay within 80% of your tow rating when towing a travel trailer.  I have the same truck and would not go over 8000lbs travel trailer.  Look into Lance travel trailers they are built around 1/2t towing

Edited by YEGbluesilverado

I'm thinking about getting one of these . 29'4" 5450 dry weight
I just picked up my current trailer about six weeks ago and used it 4 times now and it's okay but it's a 2004. I'd sell it in a heartbeat.
The Alpha wolf is better insulated ,has more features and imo nicer than the Vibe.
Better deal too.
I'll tow this all day long with my 18 5.3 stock truck.4f4875f2b1cc537f325bfe5c5effea3f.jpg4b6512a14f14490d1be8f44639c1d252.jpg1d62f1d68efb8c4d68e1e3df55f65c69.jpg3901d6870ea396ac39e933df905babf4.jpg2f1139084266372d6eb6893e4aba6d6b.jpgf9a441aa31347b8e25a14479eda95241.jpg

I’ve been looking at these myself, or something similar. Love the open concept layout. Plus the weight and price are attractive.