High frequency noise coming from dash when in 4WD

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I brought my truck in for service and when I got it back I had the high pitched noise.. I drove for 16 miles before I realized they flipped the switch to 4wd auto. As soon as I flipped to 2wd it's gone.

My truck makes the same noise in auto and 4 wheel drive. I had the dealership look at it and they told me they couldnt hear it. My brother told me the same thing when I had him drive it. He couldnt hear it either.

• 2 weeks later...

I just took my truck in for FM recorion issue, a squeeking noise under the hood after the engine has been off for hours, a 4wd switch that makes a high pitch squeel and a blown rear shock. The dealer confirmed all my concerns with the exception of the 4wd switch noise. The tech said he cannot hear it...he said he would order a new switch to see if it helps. We did get into a brand new truck on the lot and that truck also made the high pitch noise during the initial switch into 4wd...after the switch to auto or 4wd the noise seemed to go away unlike mine that continues to squeel...

A lot of people on here have that high pitched noise . I am thinking its "Chevy Normal"??? My noise is heard all the time in auto or 4 wheel high . Just not when I switch it over from 2 wheel. I am thinking it's some sort of sensor?

The noise I hear on my truck is also all the time when in auto or 4 hi...the new truck on the lot could only be heard when initially switching it into 4hi and auto...

The noise I hear on my truck is also all the time when in auto or 4 hi...the new truck on the lot could only be heard when initially switching it into 4hi and auto...

No i didnt drive the new truck on the lot, I just flicked it into 4hi and auto with the engine running. The noise was present while making the switch to 4wd but once it went in, it was quiet again...

My truck makes the same noise being described here. 4wd auto, Hi or Lo makes the sound every time. When in auto it kind of pulsates and gets very annoying. When I switch back to 2wd it instantly dissapears.

1500 '14 Silverado LTZ Z71

1100 km so far

I'm 24 and damn is this noise loud. Hopefully it is NOT normal operation...

Wow I am so glad I found a thread on this. I now know I'm not crazy for hearing this noise. I only have 400 miles on the truck but have been hearing this since the first day. With the radio on it isn't bad but with no hvac or radio on it is quite noticeable. I have only been running the truck in auto because I don't commute far and my driveway is a total mud mess but maybe I will do some experimenting in 2wd and see if it is still there. I didn't even think to put two and two together that it would have to do with the 4wd. I actually shut the truck off the other night took the key out and was still hearing the noise even with the truck turned off.

On a side not with this, this is my first vehicle with the auto 4wd. Is it ok to commute around town or highway with the switch on auto? My old 98 I would have to stop and put in 4wd all the time to get up my driveway with the snow and ice and my 14 I haven't had to manually switch yet. But is it ok to keep in auto? Maybe besides this high pitch noise.

Well I am glad thats resolved! It turns out that this annoying 4wd sound is "normal" according to the dealership. WOW that makes me feel much better! (Sarcasm Intended) And get this, according to the GM rep I spoke with on the phone and the dealership, they have NEVER heard of this issue. Weird never heard that one before either! :bs:

I have owned 6 4wd drive vehicles in my life and have never experienced anything like this. GM is seriously a joke....

I guess if GM can ignore an ignition switch issue that may lead to death, or shrug off an issue with our gauges going out if a media device title is too big, ignoring a noise that is capable of driving your customers off is no big deal. My next purchase will be Ford, and will be soon.

Archived