After reading through this thread I started looking under my new silverado to see what condition it is in, and so far it looks good. I noticed that the entire frame seems to be coated in a soft, somewhat tacky, black paint-like material. Looking at the pictures above it seems like they either come with this coating from the factory now or that the dealership already applied the TSB. I have a 2015 Silverado LTZ.

Also, I was planning on spraying my frame and underbody parts with Fluid Film. Should I wait until this coating comes off? I don't want to mess up this coating if it's intended to protect against rust.

It definitely doesn't seem like something that will last too long. If you pick at it with a fingernail it comes off. I am thinking for now I'll just apply fluid film to exposed metal parts and wait until this coating wears off before spraying my frame.

For anyone with rust issues, here is the link to fluid film - this is just a normal aerosol spray can - a 3-pack for under $40:

http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Film-11-75-Spray-3-pak/dp/B00B93ZXGS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1442664296&sr=1-1&keywords=fluid+film

They also have a complete underbody kit - this comes with a sprayer and everything you need to completely coat your underbody for $100 and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Undercoating-Gallon-bottles-everything/dp/B0048770KE/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1442664180&sr=1-1&keywords=fluid+film+undercoating+kit

After reading through this thread I started looking under my new silverado to see what condition it is in, and so far it looks good. I noticed that the entire frame seems to be coated in a soft, somewhat tacky, black paint-like material. Looking at the pictures above it seems like they either come with this coating from the factory now or that the dealership already applied the TSB. I have a 2015 Silverado LTZ.

Also, I was planning on spraying my frame and underbody parts with Fluid Film. Should I wait until this coating comes off? I don't want to mess up this coating if it's intended to protect against rust.

It definitely doesn't seem like something that will last too long. If you pick at it with a fingernail it comes off. I am thinking for now I'll just apply fluid film to exposed metal parts and wait until this coating wears off before spraying my frame.

I applied FF over the whole frame, wax and all. Some guys say doing that will make the wax peel off. I haven't had that happen. I believe the factory wax would have peeled off with or without FF. After applying FF the factory wax softened up, which is preferrable to a hard wax that will become brittle and flakey.

FF works best on surface rust. The FF seep into the rust and keeps moisture and oxygen from feeding the corrosion. If you have rusty patches this is what you do: remove any flaking rust and spray on FF. I usually follow that with some black spray paint in visible areas.

FF sprays on a brownish translucent color. The spray paint is merely to mask the fact that the shitty factory wax flaked away. If you'd rather have the rust patches visible you can skip the painting step.

I guess what I'm asking, or am at least surprised by, is that the painting step would even work. FF seems very oily (I've used it in small areas) and I'm surprised that paint would stick to it.

• Like 1

I've never painted over Fluid Film, but would have to agree, I can't see spray paint sticking to an area treated with Fluid Film. Plus, with Fluid Film you do need to re-apply periodically. It's water resistance and lasts a good while, but it's not permanent. I'm not sure I'd bothering even trying to paint over an area I treated with FF.

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress on surface rust on frame issue from GM? I have 2014 CC Sierra 4X4 and noticed rust localized to frame. Dealer said he would pay for under coating from vendor. Should I ignore rust or cat the frame only? What about top of frame....love my Sierra but frustrated...8K miles

• 1 month later...

My truck is a 2014 Sierra 1500 and currently has 20k miles on it. I didn't know there was a tsb for frame rust until now. The coating on the frame is peeling and coming off in pieces and there is a lot of rust showing . Is it too late to get it fixed and recoated by the dealer? Also I have a 6 in lift kit on it, will that add to the price of getting it fixed? As always all replies are greatly appreciated. Thank you

Edited by Hunter79

You should take to the dealer and see their response. Basically, I was told it was normal... Long back story, but that was basically it for me with the truck and with GM. If this is the only problem you have, take it in and see if they will repair. It is under the 10 year/100,000 corrosion protection part of the warranty. At least that's what I think.

Take it to the dealer and COMPLAIN!!! I don't own a GMC or Chevy but I do own a Toyota - and they've had rust issues since 1995. My current truck had the entire frame replaced under 'warranty' because it failed frame inspection.

Take it to a couple different dealers if you have to - and get your 'commplaints' on file. See what they say......

If there's a wide enough problem, and enough people complain....they 'should' offer a solution. If you want...(and if you think it'll help) - tell them that Toyota is replacing frames for free!!

The corrosion portion of the warranty doesn't even mention the frame. Just sheet metal.

From 2014 warranty booklet:
Sheet Metal Coverage
Sheet metal panels are covered
against corrosion and rust-through
as follows:
Corrosion: Body sheet metal
panels are covered against rust for
3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever
comes first.
Rust-Through: Any body sheet
metal panel that rusts through, an
actual hole in the sheet metal, is
covered for up to 6 years or
100,000 miles, whichever
comes first.
Important: Cosmetic or surface
corrosion, resulting from stone chips
or scratches in the paint, for
example, is not included in sheet
metal coverage.

Yeah you gotta stay on top of the undercoating if you don't want rust. Read the multiple threads on here that discuss the problems and solutions to it. I drive my truck through salt all winter and washed the frame off maybe twice all that time. Zero rust other than a couple spots hidden by the spare. You can't rely on the factory wax. It's basically good enough to keep the frame from rusting before you get it home from the dealer.

• Like 1

We have a 2014 Sierra and when it had just over 30 000Kms on it, we took it to our dealers body shop and they kept the truck for three days while giving us a rental car in order to strip the frame and correct the rust issue that we had pointed out.

The truck has about 52 000Kms on it now and we are noticing the same corrosion occurring once more.

Back to square one.