What the heck, I’m gonna chime in here also. I bought my truck new, in May 2015. It’s a Silverado CC standard bed 5.3 LTZ. This is my third new truck from GM.

My first truck, 1990 7.4L powered CC long bed dually was a durable vehicle. That’s about all I can say about it. It was severely underpowered, lacked any kind of creature comfort, and the paint peeled off of it in sheets. It could barely move out of its own way much less tow anything and if you presented it a hill, well, turn off all the accessories and roll down the windows to try and slow the inevitable overheating. All this while maintaining a marvelous 6 mpg average. I drove that truck for 15 years and 175,000 miles without ever opening the drivetrain. I loved it.

• Bose is the best audio system upgrade for the price. (It came included in the LTZ plus package)

Personally, I’m glad GM continues to bring more luxury and modern electronics to the truck line. If I wanted a basic, plain truck, I would have kept my 1990 CC.

If my 15 has a problem, I’ll take it in and have it addressed. Not a big deal. It seems some folks get awful worked up over a truck. To those I say, Relax, it’s a truck, It’s just a truck. Save your drama for something important.

Nothing against you 1Stepcloser, but...

you couldn't pay me to take a Bose audio system... AND No big deal to just take your truck in and get anything fixed? Wish we all had your dealer, since it clearly hasn't worked for us.

Yes I'm Bitter, this was my first GM product and after this POS, sure as shit will be my last

Nothing against you 1Stepcloser, but...

you couldn't pay me to take a Bose audio system... AND No big deal to just take your truck in and get anything fixed? Wish we all had your dealer, since it clearly hasn't worked for us.

Yes I'm Bitter, this was my first GM product and after this POS, sure as shit will be my last

Well, Like I said, Bose is the best upgrade for the price. I've done competition audio in my past and spent a lot of money on upgraded audio in both my past trucks and two boats. For what Bose added in cost, It's a fantastic sounding system. Like any audio system, you have to know the limits and stay within them.

My dealer is very good. I didn't say I could take it in and get anything fixed... I said I would have it addressed. Sometimes the truth is not what you want. Aside from that, I have had no reason to take my new truck in yet.

I am sorry that you feel bitter about you truck, but in your case, moving to a different brand is the best decision. Find a product that will meet your expectation. I am brand loyal, so my expectations are met, perhaps with bias, by Chevrolet.

I wish you luck.

Edited by 1stepcloser
  • Like 3

Well, I'm just quoting numbers... 355 horsepower versus the Duramax's 310. The DMax did make more torque, If memory serves me, the DMax made 520 lbs/ft? to the 5.3's 385lbs/ft. I haven't towed anything of substance with my 15 yet, So perhaps I should withhold my judgment. But... this little 5.3 is a real powerhouse relative to its size. and it's quiet!

You said that perfectly.....Iove my 5.3

I get a kick out of people that post about their ASE certs... Congrats you can read and retain the information. Modern day techs have it easy now. Type in problem....computer spits back what to check... go check.. type in what you found...computer not only tells you what the problem is, it gives you step by step instructions. It is a great thing, it really is but it damn sure isn't like the ole days of real trouble shooting and using your brain to figure out what was going on. I know this will make the techs here all butt hurt and that is fine, but I'm not lying.

Well, I'm just quoting numbers... 355 horsepower versus the Duramax's 310. The DMax did make more torque, If memory serves me, the DMax made 520 lbs/ft? to the 5.3's 385lbs/ft. I haven't towed anything of substance with my 15 yet, So perhaps I should withhold my judgment. But... this little 5.3 is a real powerhouse relative to its size. and it's quiet!

2011+ duramax (RPO LML) is 397HP and 765ft lb torque. (and it develops the torque from 1600rpm)

Say what you want about either 5.3 or 6.2, but neither can hold a candle to the current Dmax when towing.

(I've towed the same trailer/load with the 6.2 L86 and the 6.6 LML)

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

I think what a lot of you are experiencing is the same effect you get that first night after the wedding. Trust me for many of you that honeymoon phase will soon be over. For others I wish you the best I truly do. No matter what you use your truck for, the bottom line is everyone uses their truck. So sorry there is no "I use my truck better than you award" for those of you that are looking for one. I was also impressed when I first test drove my truck. But that newness or whatetver you want to call it sure did wear off fast. Just the rattles alone make me feel like I am in an old GM with about 80K miles on it.

My truck is in the shop RIGHT NOW having the lower driver and passenger doors painted for the peeling issue. I was told that this was and adhesion issue that has been seen on cars and trucks, so I know I am not the only one that is having, and will have this problem. I think this alone will be a widespread issue mostly on the double cab models. So its only a matter of time until all you brainwashed fans start posting your experiences about your paint peeling off the doors.

If your truck is perfect do me a favor. Count the number of recalls you have had. And no matter what the average consumer says this is not normal or a good thing. Then go start it up and look for that puff of black smoke from the tailpipe. Put it in R then in D listen for the "clunk" or driveline slop. Take it for a drive for a few miles and notice how the v4 sometimes gets confused causing a delay and shudder. These are just a few issues that I have seen on every last 2014/2015 GM truck that I have driven. Then what I want you to do is NOT ADMIT that even though you love your truck its not perfect. So don't take it personal guys and gals.

I get a kick out of people that post about their ASE certs... Congrats you can read and retain the information. Modern day techs have it easy now. Type in problem....computer spits back what to check... go check.. type in what you found...computer not only tells you what the problem is, it gives you step by step instructions. It is a great thing, it really is but it damn sure isn't like the ole days of real trouble shooting and using your brain to figure out what was going on. I know this will make the techs here all butt hurt and that is fine, but I'm not lying.

I agree but since this was aimed at my comment about ASE certifications I will respond. I was an apprentice for several independant shops starting in 1994 before I got my ASE certification shortly after finishing college in 2001 and then went on to various dealerships from there eventually opening my own independant shop with a small car sales department. I have spoken with many modern day technicians and I am impressed with the ability they posess on how to diagnose various software and electrical issues but the lack of knowlege about the basics know how when it comes to fixing parts instead of replacing them is pretty bad. I know the difference in what your talking about and I totally agree with this.

I'd love to get a recall letter for them to make some changes on my truck to eliminate the vibration. It would be nice if GM was more forthcoming like Honda has been with the CRV vibration issues.

I doubt they will ever admit to this issue. In fact the 2015 Malibu that they gave me to drive while my truck is being painted vibrates like crazy. This car only has 500 miles on it. I am starting to think that they are bashing the rims with sledgehammers on the loaners creating a horrible vibration so that when we get our trucks back they "seem" to ride alot smoother.

I just love the "let's drag everybody into my misery" posts...

It is what it is...or rather it is what it shouldn't be. These are just post that may soon be facts, not intended on dragging anyone anywhere.

I'll use your logic...

My new truck has been perfect and flawless, therefore all trucks are perfect and flawless.

And FYI, here is the list of recalls straight from the NHTSA that your 2012 supposedly never had. Besides the critical safety recalls, be sure to review the 5 pages of other TSBs that affect your truck. Sorry to burst your bubble, but nearly every car on the road has been subject to recall.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults;jsessionid=xiI9ZeDK-hywkt-vl-9oXG7HVTU7b18QCSHXRd4JtV0m3-gpWEAX!427883026?prodType=V&searchType=PROD&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.model=SILVERADO&stats=1207783%2C2%2C0%2C45%2C52%2CSILVERADO&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=%2Fdownloads%2Ffolders%2F&searchCriteria.model_yr=2012&searchCriteria.make=CHEVROLET&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1207783

Edited by Black03Yukon
  • Like 1

I've driven my 2014 5.3 4x4 CC now for about 19,400 miles. Here's my review:

The Good:

1. The cab is quieter than any other GM truck that I've owned.

2. The fuel mileage is better than any other GM truck that I've owned.

3. The interior looks nice.

The Bad:

1. The transmission tuning is absolutely horrible, and ruins the driving experience. There's hesitation, flair shifting, clunking and hesitation when downshifting, and what I'd call an inconsistent lurching forward under light throttle 1-2 shifts. The torque converter also kicks in and out at inopportune times. I've also noticed that when going down fairly steep hills with the cruise control on, the transmission will hold for a bit, and then kick into neutral. This allows your speed to increase considerably instead of relying on the engine RPM to maintain a somewhat consistent speed. The transmission doesn't learn anything but shift pressures, and my truck never learned anything at all. If you like a consistent and smooth driving experience, then these trucks are not for you.

2. This is my first truck with the Active Fuel Management system. I noticed it immediately, and was disgusted at how poorly it functioned. It was most noticeable when approaching a slight incline. The truck would lug in V4 mode to a point at which it would hesitate and almost go into a transbrake mode, and then clunk, and then downshift. If it were a seamless transition, then I wouldn't mind it, but seamless it was not.

3. The infotainment system is clunky, and way more difficult to use than is should be. I'm sure you'll find this with all brands. The touch screen is sometimes delayed, and doesn't respond well. I've also found that the steering wheel controls only work about 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time you'll need to keep pressing them. It reminds me of playing with an old laptop with a slow processor. I've also had issues with Bluetooth, and my phone not connecting as it should. I've actually quit using the steering wheel controls for audio, and I rarely use the Bluetooth feature anymore.

4. The FM radio reception is much weaker than previous GM models. Not a huge deal, but you notice it if you like to listen to those stations that are a ways away from you. There is supposed to be a fix in the works, but I would have preferred that GM test and refine the product before actually sending the trucks to dealerships.

5. My truck has the dash snap or crackle noise near the infotainment center that about everyone has. It's not as bad now as it was when new, but it's still there. My truck also developed a very annoying rattle that sounded like it was coming from the lower part of the steering column. It ended up being the bracket that holds the OBDII port. The bracket is flimsy, and had to be fixed.

6. I came from a 2011 6.2, and although the 5.3 is capable, it's still nothing like the old 6.2. If the transmission tuning were better, then maybe I'd like it a bit more. The power has improved from previous 5.3 engines, but it's not what I'm used to. I didn't want to spend the money on an LTZ package to get the 6.2, so I settled. I won't do that again.

7. The backup camera resolution is poor, and was one of the first things I noticed. If you've never had a backup camera, then it's probably fine. My 2011 had the camera in the rear view mirror. It was much better.

I've purchased new GM trucks in 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007.5 (2500 Diesel), 2011 (6.2 gas), and now 2014. My 2000 and 2003 were in the shop a couple of times, but I don't believe the other trucks ever saw the dealership. I actually loved every one of those trucks for various reasons. The 2007.5 2500 diesel, and the 2011 6.2 gasser were my favorites, most likely because I'm the kind of guy that loves power, and the visceral driving experience. These new trucks have horrible transmission tuning, whether it be the 6 speed or the 8 speed. All I want is to not notice my transmission. I want my new truck to shift like my 2007.5 Allison, or my 2011 6 speed. If GM can get their act together, then I'd consider another new truck. If not, then I'll be looking for a low mileage 2013 or older Duramax or 6.2 gasser. The driving experience is too important to me to be constantly frustrated while driving one of these new rigs. Would I buy again knowing what I know now? Absolutely not.

Edited by Newell33

I'll use your logic...

My new truck has been perfect and flawless, therefore all trucks are perfect and flawless.

And FYI, here is the list of recalls straight from the NHTSA that your 2012 supposedly never had. Besides the critical safety recalls, be sure to review the 5 pages of other TSBs that affect your truck. Sorry to burst your bubble, but nearly every car on the road has been subject to recall.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults;jsessionid=xiI9ZeDK-hywkt-vl-9oXG7HVTU7b18QCSHXRd4JtV0m3-gpWEAX!427883026?prodType=V&searchType=PROD&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.model=SILVERADO&stats=1207783%2C2%2C0%2C45%2C52%2CSILVERADO&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=%2Fdownloads%2Ffolders%2F&searchCriteria.model_yr=2012&searchCriteria.make=CHEVROLET&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1207783

Recalls NEVER effect every model/configuration Bush. You should know that. My 2012 missed all of those recalls that were for CERTAIN PRODUCTION MODELS based on the date of build or sometimes a specific issue. No of which ever applied to my GMC as long as I owned it. There was no bubble to burst in the first place. And whatever logic you are referring to is not my logic but obviously your own delusional think you know everything skewed logic. Keep bumping^^

I've driven my 2014 5.3 4x4 CC now for about 19,400 miles. Here's my review:

The Good:

1. The cab is quieter than any other GM truck that I've owned.

2. The fuel mileage is better than any other GM truck that I've owned.

3. The interior looks nice.

The Bad:

1. The transmission tuning is absolutely horrible, and ruins the driving experience. There's hesitation, flair shifting, clunking and hesitation when downshifting, and what I'd call an inconsistent lurching forward under light throttle 1-2 shifts. The torque converter also kicks in and out at inopportune times. I've also noticed that when going down fairly steep hills with the cruise control on, the transmission will hold for a bit, and then kick into neutral. This allows your speed to increase considerably instead of relying on the engine RPM to maintain a somewhat consistent speed. The transmission doesn't learn anything but shift pressures, and my truck never learned anything at all. If you like a consistent and smooth driving experience, then these trucks are not for you.

2. This is my first truck with the Active Fuel Management system. I noticed it immediately, and was disgusted at how poorly it functioned. It was most noticeable when approaching a slight incline. The truck would lug in V4 mode to a point at which it would hesitate and almost go into a transbrake mode, and then clunk, and then downshift. If it were a seamless transition, then I wouldn't mind it, but seamless it was not.

3. The infotainment system is clunky, and way more difficult to use than is should be. I'm sure you'll find this with all brands. The touch screen is sometimes delayed, and doesn't respond well. I've also found that the steering wheel controls only work about 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time you'll need to keep pressing them. It reminds me of playing with an old laptop with a slow processor. I've also had issues with Bluetooth, and my phone not connecting as it should. I've actually quit using the steering wheel controls for audio, and I rarely use the Bluetooth feature anymore.

4. The FM radio reception is much weaker than previous GM models. Not a huge deal, but you notice it if you like to listen to those stations that are a ways away from you. There is supposed to be a fix in the works, but I would have preferred that GM test and refine the product before actually sending the trucks to dealerships.

5. My truck has the dash snap or crackle noise near the infotainment center that about everyone has. It's not as bad now as it was when new, but it's still there. My truck also developed a very annoying rattle that sounded like it was coming from the lower part of the steering column. It ended up being the bracket that holds the OBDII port. The bracket is flimsy, and had to be fixed.

6. I came from a 2011 6.2, and although the 5.3 is capable, it's still nothing like the old 6.2. If the transmission tuning were better, then maybe I'd like it a bit more. The power has improved from previous 5.3 engines, but it's not what I'm used to. I didn't want to spend the money on an LTZ package to get the 6.2, so I settled. I won't do that again.

7. The backup camera resolution is poor, and was one of the first things I noticed. If you've never had a backup camera, then it's probably fine. My 2011 had the camera in the rear view mirror. It was much better.

I've purchased new GM trucks in 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007.5 (2500 Diesel), 2011 (6.2 gas), and now 2014. My 2000 and 2003 were in the shop a couple of times, but I don't believe the other trucks ever saw the dealership. I actually loved every one of those trucks for various reasons. The 2007.5 2500 diesel, and the 2011 6.2 gasser were my favorites, most likely because I'm the kind of guy that loves power, and the visceral driving experience. These new trucks have horrible transmission tuning, whether it be the 6 speed or the 8 speed. All I want is to not notice my transmission. I want my new truck to shift like my 2007.5 Allison, or my 2011 6 speed. If GM can get their act together, then I'd consider another new truck. If not, then I'll be looking for a low mileage 2013 or older Duramax or 6.2 gasser. The driving experience is too important to me to be constantly frustrated while driving one of these new rigs. Would I buy again knowing what I know now? Absolutely not.

A few things that will help you out in regards to the transmission shifting and the snap, cracle, and pop in the dash here is a solution.

1. Take the gray trim peice off from around the radio it just simply snaps in. There are metal clips holding it on. When you get it off and be careful, take the metal tabs and expand them out some so that when you put it back it fits in the space a little tighter. After you do that put a peice of black electrical tape over every metal tab. Snap it back in and this will solve your issue.

2. Go to your dealer and tell them that you transmission shifts hard sometimes, and clunks from time to time. They will get a new download from GM and reprogram the TCM. You will like this program A LOT better. It really smooths out the drivetrain and calms down the v4 to v8 transition. Hope this helps.