The official ordering, production & delivery thread - 2019 Silverado / Sierra

They are already shipping trucks without AFM/DFM and giving customers who buy those trucks a $50 credit.  There is no contract for customers who order a truck.  It’s not yours until after it arrives and you purchase it.  If they gave me the option, I would gladly take one without that feature.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/03/here-are-the-2021-chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-models-that-will-keep-afm-dfm/

3 hours ago, Transient said:

I think the real question is, if GM allowed a truck to be delivered that didn't have the hardware it was suppose to be built with, which customer would sue for breach of contract? It's a tough spot to be in, and I feel frustrated for those who are stuck in it. However, if also want the product I ordered to be delivered a I had ordered it. Hopefully the wait you guys have to endure isn't much longer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That's not really an option, to deliver a non-running truck, or a truck without components.  Customers wouldn't accept it on delivery and get their deposit back.  The DFM removal is slightly different because very few people really want that, I'd be thrilled if mine came without it.  Also, GM is compensating affected customers $50.

I'm frustrated because for the past month my dealer kept telling me that it's "in transit" and to expect it any day.  I find out now that it wasn't completed when they said it was built, and had never shipped even after saying it was in transit.  

I don't need the truck now, and I understand what's going on in the world so I'm not growing a fit over first world problems.  I'm just venting some frustration and sharing information I had hoping to help others.

That's not really an option, to deliver a non-running truck, or a truck without components.  Customers wouldn't accept it on delivery and get their deposit back.  The DFM removal is slightly different because very few people really want that, I'd be thrilled if mine came without it.  Also, GM is compensating affected customers $50.

I'm frustrated because for the past month my dealer kept telling me that it's "in transit" and to expect it any day.  I find out now that it wasn't completed when they said it was built, and had never shipped even after saying it was in transit.  

I don't need the truck now, and I understand what's going on in the world so I'm not growing a fit over first world problems.  I'm just venting some frustration and sharing information I had hoping to help others.

That dealer sounds like a dick. I hope I never encounter them.

Regarding what I said earlier, does GM know if the truck is sold and paperwork completed when the truck is ordered and they have provided a VIN? I'm SPECULATING they operate from the assumption it is. If they're going to issue a $50 credit for a truck that was ordered PRIOR to the change in production then the customer, and the customer refuses, then GM has a legal problem on its hands. Again, I don't know the individual details with each and every customer. I'm just replying based on my knowledge of contract law and having my own businesses. I'm not a lawyer, but simply offering my opinion, which responders have failed to sway. At this point we're getting off topic. If we wish to further this conversation perhaps we should start a new thread. Otherwise, I'm content with letting this topic die here.

Regardless, imo, I think you have every reason to be frustrated. As I said previously, I would be, too. It's disappointing to hear about these types of scenarios. I hope things get resolved for you soon.

To be fair, the dealers don't always know where the truck is in the process based on the basic information provided to them by GM.  They can often get specific information, or at least some of them can, which I can only assume is the by product of having contacts in GM.

When I was waiting on my Camaro, I was told it was in "Transit".  But evidently that code or term encompasses the entire time from where it sits on lot at the factory waiting to be shipped, to delivery at the dealer.  "Transit" in my case, meant it was sitting on the lot waiting to be loaded onto the train, which they couldn't do because it was too cold (the 1LE or track package, ships with Summer only tires, which can freeze and will crack/split if moved).

10 hours ago, Transient said:

That dealer sounds like a dick. I hope I never encounter them.

Regarding what I said earlier, does GM know if the truck is sold and paperwork completed when the truck is ordered and they have provided a VIN? I'm SPECULATING they operate from the assumption it is. If they're going to issue a $50 credit for a truck that was ordered PRIOR to the change in production then the customer, and the customer refuses, then GM has a legal problem on its hands. Again, I don't know the individual details with each and every customer. I'm just replying based on my knowledge of contract law and having my own businesses. I'm not a lawyer, but simply offering my opinion, which responders have failed to sway. At this point we're getting off topic. If we wish to further this conversation perhaps we should start a new thread. Otherwise, I'm content with letting this topic die here.

Regardless, imo, I think you have every reason to be frustrated. As I said previously, I would be, too. It's disappointing to hear about these types of scenarios. I hope things get resolved for you soon.

Again, someone who orders a truck is under no obligation to buy that truck until it shows up and they sign the purchase contract.  This is why a deposit is required so that that there is a good faith agreement that the person who ordered the truck will show up to buy it when it arrives.  The dealer could technically sell the truck out from underneath you to another customer although that would be a horrible business decision.  By the same token, I could go out and buy a truck today instead of waiting for the order to come in although I may not get my deposit back without a fight.

I can’t imagine the number of higher trim level trucks that are sitting in the factory shipping lot waiting for a chip at this point. No one gets paid until those trucks sell so it seems like a financial blunder but big companies do dumb things all the time.  At some point I’m hoping that they offer the customers who ordered the trucks the option of a AFM/DFM delete but I’m not holding my breath. 

Edited by SLTBlue

Again, someone who orders a truck is under no obligation to buy that truck until it shows up and they sign the purchase contract.  This is why a deposit is required so that that there is a good faith agreement that the person who ordered the truck will show up to buy it when it arrives.  The dealer could technically sell the truck out from underneath you to another customer although that would be a horrible business decision.  By the same token, I could go out and buy a truck today instead of waiting for the order to come in although I may not get my deposit back without a fight.

I can’t imagine the number of higher trim level trucks that are sitting in the factory shipping lot waiting for a chip at this point. No one gets paid until those trucks sell so it seems like a financial blunder but big companies do dumb things all the time.  At some point I’m hoping that they offer the customers who ordered the trucks the option of a AFM/DFM delete but I’m not holding my breath. 
From the time my sale was complete to the time I received my truck was 2 weeks. Truck was already in transit when I first stepped into the dealership to buy a truck. Your "deposit" scenario isn't always applicable.

18 hours ago, Transient said:

The truck isn't "SOLD" until the customer takes delivery of it.  The "sold" order is just a status that the dealer assigns to it when the order is input.  To GM, it's just another order.  VIN isn't provided until the truck is built.  

The dealer would be the one getting sued for lack of DFM if a customer wanted it and it wasn't disclosed by the dealer.  It's the dealership's responsibility to inform a sold order customer of any changes to the order.  

Edited by GearheadSS

6 hours ago, Transient said:

From the time my sale was complete to the time I received my truck was 2 weeks. Truck was already in transit when I first stepped into the dealership to buy a truck. Your "deposit" scenario isn't always applicable.

Yours wasn't a sold order then.  

On 2/18/2021 at 9:42 AM, 04GMshorty said:

Well what the frig... Gm must not like my dealer... 

I am in the same situation, ordered a 2500HD AT4 back in october 2020 and still no tpw. Allotment issue as per my salesman. Other place says optional stuff constraint. At the end of the day, no transparency at all from GM chat or dealer...

3 hours ago, Reinnn said:

I am in the same situation, ordered a 2500HD AT4 back in october 2020 and still no tpw. Allotment issue as per my salesman. Other place says optional stuff constraint. At the end of the day, no transparency at all from GM chat or dealer...

The dealer should be able to tell you why.  A month after ordering mine I checked in with my salesman and was told it was on hold.  Further investigation showed the running boards were on constraint.  They resubmitted the order minus the running boards and it instantly was picked up and I had the truck 4 weeks later.

In other words GM knows why and the dealer can find out.  At least decent, educated dealers can find out.

3 minutes ago, Jim E said:

The dealer should be able to tell you why.  A month after ordering mine I checked in with my salesman and was told it was on hold.  Further investigation showed the running boards were on constraint.  They resubmitted the order minus the running boards and it instantly was picked up and I had the truck 4 weeks later.

In other words GM knows why and the dealer can find out.  At least decent, educated dealers can find out.

When i called the salesman last time, i told him that i heard the High clearance step were on constraint so i told him just to delete them or switch them for something else, when he called me back the next day, he told me it was not an option issue, only an allocation problem. Today, consumer service from GM called me back to give an update on my order which is the same one as the last 4 month: 

Thank you for your recent communication to General Motors.

We have located your order.  At this time your order has been accepted by GM and will be placed in sequence for production.  Presently we are unable to provide a Target Production Week however we do recommend you follow up with your dealership or Customer Care in 3-4 weeks for further details.

Thank you for contacting General Motors. 

I asked them for the event code and they keep telling me they are not allowed to give it to customer as per their internal politics. 

If it it's an allocation issue, take your order somewhere else.  GM can't build these fast enough, and all orders with an allocation will get built first.  They may not get to non allocation orders this model year the way things are going.