Chevy passed out a 2019 Silverado information book to journalists during this week's media drive. I'm working on scanning the entire thing and sharing it here. 

There's a lot of information packed into this flip book. I thought the most interesting was the engine line up and an AFM vs DFM diagram. This is the best comparison blowout diagram I've seen so far. Here's the four pages related to the engines. 

1533991753160-2f2d66c2-19e6-42b7-b397-f8964a764507.jpg

1533991796372-fd7b9cc0-7342-482d-ac71-94918e595750_.jpg

1533991945087-4d42519b-000a-4b9f-8b88-3b46a60ef2a2.jpg

1533991899728-4e7493aa-2058-4c9c-b1f7-b8c9fa288d8d.jpg

It will be interesting to see how this operates.  I notice every time our 2016 Suburban goes into 4v mode. Makes a low rumble sound. Not from the exhaust either.  

On 8/11/2018 at 1:04 PM, Loco Diablo said:

I don’t know if it’s a good thing or a bad thing versus AFM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DFM engine will have less vibration than an AFM engine but is twice as likely to have a lifter issue than an AFM engine. Apparently GM feels the AFM system in the 2014+ Gen V engines is reliable enough that they are willing to double the number of collapsible lifters.

• Like 1

I hope for their sake they got it right this time. Could be another bailout in the works if not ...

Seems like an awful lot more to potentially go wrong with this system.

I sure as hell won't be the guinea pig on this one! Tried that once. Never again!

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1

I can’t believe V-8 drivers or V6 drivers put up with it, especially for the little gains. I tested mine every way possible barely got a mile a gallon with it on. Got out of it as soon as possible. Never going to have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm still running my Range. No loss of fuel mileage, other than what was happening long before I got the device.

• Like 1

I bought the Range a month ago. I feel it is smoother without the V4/V8 switching.

I ran it for a couple of weeks, then took it off for a few days before reinstalling it. I don't see any noticeable loss in MPG.

The only thing I have noticed is when coasting (slowing down), the instant MPG only goes to around 80MPG. Without the Range it would go to 99 consistently.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:02 AM, Zane said:

Chevy passed out a 2019 Silverado information book to journalists during this week's media drive. I'm working on scanning the entire thing and sharing it here. 

There's a lot of information packed into this flip book. I thought the most interesting was the engine line up and an AFM vs DFM diagram. This is the best comparison blowout diagram I've seen so far. Here's the four pages related to the engines. 

1533991753160-2f2d66c2-19e6-42b7-b397-f8964a764507.jpg

1533991796372-fd7b9cc0-7342-482d-ac71-94918e595750_.jpg

1533991945087-4d42519b-000a-4b9f-8b88-3b46a60ef2a2.jpg

1533991899728-4e7493aa-2058-4c9c-b1f7-b8c9fa288d8d.jpg

Zane in the second paragraph titled "Dynamic Fuel Management" there is a line stating the amount in percent that DFM is on over AFM and due to the glare I can not read it. What does it say please? Thank you. 

Pretty sure it says 9% - I did the super-mega zoom. :)

That's some good peepers Jsdirt. Thanks. 

• Like 1

It says:

"...DFM operated with fewer than eight active cylinders...a 9% improvement over the...model with AFM..."

Could also be running on 7 cylinders. Not only four.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 1

Makes me want to but a 2018 so I don't have to deal with another generation that I don't want to touch. The roll out of afm was such a reliable success.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, j-ten-ner said:

It says:

"...DFM operated with fewer than eight active cylinders...a 9% improvement over the...model with AFM..."

Could also be running on 7 cylinders. Not only four.

so long

j-ten-ner

So watching a few videos on the new system, it seems like it "could" run on 1 cylinder, however its programed to only go as low as 2 at a time. 

Range in my '11 Tahoe for the last 50k miles. Highway mpg dropped by 1 mpg. AFM issues are not worth 1 mpg in my book.