Subtle Mods - I don't off road or need 12" of clearance

Hey everyone,

New to this forum. I'm leasing a White 2017 GMC Sierra SLE that, based on the price and looks (not a fan of the new wheel well shape) of new trucks I may just buy out in a few months. If I keep it, I would like to look at doing a few things to it. Like I said, I don't off road or hunt or haul a lot of stuff. I like it because there is room in the cab, it's great in the winter, I can haul stuff if I need to, but basically its just a big car for me. I have steps and a roll up box cover. 

I like my truck a lot just as it is. I have the 5.3 V8. It's enough for my needs. I don't really need a lot of after market performance. I'd like to make it as comfortable as possible and to look good but not over the top. I'd like it to be not quite stock but not a show piece if that makes sense. Like you look at it and say I'm not sire why but like the look of that truck. 

Leveling kit: Don't need a lift but would lie the front and back to match.

Wheels and tires: I'd probably stick to almost factory. I have stock 18x9 (P265/65/R18) rims and tires. I was thinking maybe 18x10 for just a little more width to fill up the wells a bit. Tire needs to be a good all season as I mostly drive on roads. 

Debadging: I like the clean look.

Ambient lighting: I have an SLE so not much for options. I do have bed lighting which is nice. I like lights and think some subtle additions inside might be nice.

Those are my initial thoughts. What do you all suggest?

Thanks.

truck.JPG

HCongratulations on knowing what you want and being able to voice it without being intimidated by the wants of the group. Nice looking truck

i think that you would like BFG TAKO2 tires when you are ready. There are lots of wheels to accent your truck wonderfully. I think you should take some time to look over them, you might find a set that makes you happy.

brighter lights can be accomplished with just a simple bulb change.  You could also put a “stealthy” 30” Rough Country curved light bar behind your grille. They fit well and are pretty much hidden. That is a good mod for +/- $250

LED bed lamps are a nice addition, over a stock basic truck. You could add puddle lights or other underbody landing lights for getting in and out as well.

Edited by Darksky

Obviously your milage may vary but here are my thoughts.

Like the 18" wheels, with the smaller tires I think they balance nicely. I love the GMC snowflake wheels in black. I'd stuff some 33" with the level as I think that looks great. I personally prefer the color matched fenders and grille so that would be on my list. Or a custom grille without badge. I would strip the steps and remove the door guard, looks super clean without it.

Love the LED lighting inside too, nice subtle mod. Curved lightbar is solid if you have need. Smoked tail lights if you're into that. Remove the lower valance. Upgrade the audio. All weather floor liners and a gear box for below the rear seats.

Take it for what it's worth, just my thoughts.

Some good ideas so far, thanks.

Keep them coming.

I’ve seen the light bars for behind the grill.

Puddle lights is a good one.  

I’m leaning to some LED’s in the door bins and door wells that come on with enter/exit and dash lights. I assume they can be wired like that. 

Gona keep the steps as I need them to get in and out. I think 18’s still for sure. I want a nice ride. 

Front valance delete seems like like a very easy, free and often done mod.

4 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Keep those wheels, the 18's ride a little better and are attractive IMO.  Ninety nine percent of those here with the BiG lifts and big macho wheels interpret  'off-road' as riding on the shoulder! 

Hey...! But I get waayyyy over on the shoulder, sometimes. like all the way over where the grass isn’t even trimmed.

I’m glad you’re keeping the steps.  Color matching is great.  The under rear seat storage box is very nice, I have one.  The new mats are beauties as well.

I want to do LED footwell lighting next. 

LED back up bulbs are twice as bright as stock. You can put them in the third brake light’s bed light bulbs too.

Edited by Darksky

Some of the first mods I did was to put LED's in the interior footwells front and back to add more interior lighting.  Also added lights on the exterior to shine on my side steps at night so  you can see where you are stepping.  My truck came with the bed lights but I added another pod of lights on each side to add more light.  I also put little lights in the steps in the rear bumper again so you can see where you are stepping in the dark.

I'm not sure about the GMC's but on my Silverado, I added some piping to add some accent colors.  I have it on the doors and around the charging tray on the center console.  

• Like 1

You can bring the truck almost level by removing the spacers between the rear end and the springs instead of raising the front end. From what I read you’ll still have a slight rake won’t be nearly as noticeable as it is stock and requires replacing the ubolts.