Custom Trail Boss Console Upgrade?

On 7/26/2020 at 1:56 PM, Dunn said:

idk why they would go thru the trouble of even making 2 different models.. its pretty easy to see the seam and latch on the one with storage.....there is a gap all the way around it whereas its closed on the one that doesn't have storage....you can tell which one opens on bottom and the top lid.....they also look like the height might be different.....but if your not looking for it or dont even know about it probably wouldnt even look twice to see.....lot of peeps got caught off guard and GM got ton of flack for this i imagine

no matter in 2021.....all the trucks will have storage for new model year

I was not aware that all trucks in 2021 are getting the console.  That is good news for new buyers!

I was totally blind-sided when my wife an I picked up the new truck that I had test drove by myself.  I went to put in my sunglasses and couldn't open the lid.  I thought that the latch was just hidden somewhere.  My wife chided me for not noticing it when I test drove the truck....

I'm glad that I swapped in the entire new jump seat assembly, as it sounds a lot easier than just swapping the lid, plus I have the bottom storage compartment now,  Now that I have both types of consoles, it's easy to spot the visual differences between the ones that open and the ones that don't, but before seeing them in person, it was difficult to discern from internet pictures.  I guess I should try to do something with my old jump seat, which is now just sitting on the shipping pallet in my garage.

I want to thank everyone who contributed on this thread. Between correct part numbers for the console, the clips, the PDF that showed what needed to happen and everyone's account of how to do it,,, it made for a fairly easy install. I shudder to think how long it'd taken me without your help. Good job gentlemen,, the wife is happy! 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 10:11 AM, Railroad_Jim said:

I was not aware that all trucks in 2021 are getting the console.  That is good news for new buyers!

I was totally blind-sided when my wife an I picked up the new truck that I had test drove by myself.  I went to put in my sunglasses and couldn't open the lid.  I thought that the latch was just hidden somewhere.  My wife chided me for not noticing it when I test drove the truck....

I'm glad that I swapped in the entire new jump seat assembly, as it sounds a lot easier than just swapping the lid, plus I have the bottom storage compartment now,  Now that I have both types of consoles, it's easy to spot the visual differences between the ones that open and the ones that don't, but before seeing them in person, it was difficult to discern from internet pictures.  I guess I should try to do something with my old jump seat, which is now just sitting on the shipping pallet in my garage.

Also sort of blind sided on my HD. I bought as soon as they reopened from the covid lock down at the end of April, because I really needed the truck due to covid schedule and location changes for both our jobs. I didn't get the full walk through since there was still limited contact. I was a little distracted with nitpicking the new 6.6 and other things during the test drive. Plus a little wore for having to drive 2 hours for a truck to look at.  

Edited by Stand By

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 9:37 AM, Hoss Dawson said:

Hi

Did anyone ever find a video of changing out the console/armrest on a 2020.

Hoss

I'm not sure if there is a video and I wish I would have made one when I swapped mine because if would have gotten several thousand views by now based on how frustrated everyone is about getting a truck with no storage in the center console.    But, if you are handy with tools you probably don't need a video.   In order to get the console swapped in my 2019 Silverado 1500 WT, I just simply unbolted the front seats and took them out (4 torx bolts on each seat).  That allowed me access to the four torx bolts holding in the center console.  Removed those and swapped out the entire console with one that had storage which I ordered from a junk yard.  My truck does not have the wiring harness to hook up the USB and 210 outlet that's in the new console, so they are non-functional.. but I don't care.  If you do, I suppose you could run a power wire to the fuse panel.  Then I just bolted the new console down and replaced the seats.   The whole thing took less than an hour.      I know from reading other posts in this thread, some people just replaced the top half storage, but by replacing the entire console you get the added storage under the seat.   The trick is finding a console in a junk yard.  I found one with an online search at a junk yard in Michigan and they shipped it to me in California. The whole thing cost me $400 with shipping.   I sold my old (non-storage) console on craigslist for $25.

• 2 months later...

Got my armrest via Fed Ex today. I had ordered it about a month ago but they held my order because they wanted to verify VIN. Once I realized that they had sent me an email they got it to me pretty quickly. 

Removed the bolts for both front seats and moved them forward. Man handled the plastic covers and got it swapped out in about 45 min. Needed a T45 for the bolt on the pass side, in addition to the T50, T55 and T25. 

This is my first non-Toyota and have to say I was a bit perplexed that there wasn’t storage in the armrest. Oh well. 

Also have to say, it’s nice working on a vehicle that you care if you break the plastic manhandling it when it’s 35 degrees out because they still make it. I’m used to working on old Land Cruisers. This would’ve taken me 3 hrs being ginger with it. Then again, Mr T would’ve just included a damn armrest! :)

Thanks Jeffed! 

4E7C5F3E-23DF-4E4F-81F1-75F91123D254.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/17/2020 at 6:36 PM, trip said:

So figure out the wire diagram for wiring harness for the USB and 12v outlet straight to the fuse box it belongs to. Right fuse box on X1 plug you will add a terminal pin to 6 and 16 you can order a five wire kit for these parts 19332365 and 19332366. For the ground on the back side of right fuse box is x2 with the correct ground you can either re-pin that connector or just tap in to that wire it’s port 1if you decide to re-pin it here is a wire kit to help 19371175

B1142C86-76F1-431F-A0B6-E716A4BF146B.jpeg

4451F23B-66CD-4793-8E48-C2518F1E5BA9.jpeg

E54BE461-A11E-4DB3-A649-BC41439A262E.jpeg

A866B2D4-233D-4F54-883B-9EFF3609D7C2.jpeg

6603DCB5-4391-48DB-92BF-19C0837857AB.jpeg

54C013A2-B429-47F9-9F97-665425EA38BB.jpeg

69F1E762-8490-4888-8102-ED31CD287742.jpeg

Does this make USB function as OEM? Does the radio recognize it for CarPlay?