In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Picked up my Custom Trail Boss yesterday and I really like the truck, mechanically speaking.  My biggest beef is with the interior storage options.  Specifically the fact the center console doesn't have a storage compartment even though the thing is huge and the owner's manual shows there should be a storage compartment.  There's not a storage compartment under the seatback either, despite what appears to be a HUGE empty cushion sitting there.  

I have a Z71 Suburban, so I know I'm spoiled but this is crazy how few places there are to store stuff in the cab.  I'm hoping a better center console can be swapped out, but I'm worried about what options may exist with the rear seat power and air vents.  

Let me know if anyone comes across anything that can be added or modified to increase the utility for the front seat passengers.  

Thanks!

• Like 1

Sounds like you would have had to upgrade to a Trail Boss 2LT for the extra goodies.

That is where the auto makers get you.

The Custom Boss is pretty cool looking.

Comes with Halogen lights. I don't know why GM didn't just keep the same LED squinted looking headlights on the custom.

16 minutes ago, Trailboss75 said:

I bought the center console storage from chevy for $60.  Its just a plastic piece that fits in there, but it makes storage much easier without having to use that entire storage area.

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/2019/Chevrolet/Silverado 1500/front-console-organizer-84106530?categoryId=12001

Sounds like the OP is saying there is no storage at all. How would the plastic piece you reference fit in an area that has no pocket to begin with?

Is your Trail Boss a custom trim level also?

8 hours ago, Texas_Trail_Boss said:

Picked up my Custom Trail Boss yesterday and I really like the truck, mechanically speaking.  My biggest beef is with the interior storage options.  Specifically the fact the center console doesn't have a storage compartment even though the thing is huge and the owner's manual shows there should be a storage compartment.  There's not a storage compartment under the seatback either, despite what appears to be a HUGE empty cushion sitting there.  

I have a Z71 Suburban, so I know I'm spoiled but this is crazy how few places there are to store stuff in the cab.  I'm hoping a better center console can be swapped out, but I'm worried about what options may exist with the rear seat power and air vents.  

Let me know if anyone comes across anything that can be added or modified to increase the utility for the front seat passengers.  

Thanks!

The under center seat storage would be on LT, Trail Boss LT, LTZ and High Country.  Lower trims are excluded from it.  Kinda dumb IMO. 

I think you might be the first to inquire about a console swap on T1 as well...

1 hour ago, Trailboss75 said:

I bought the center console storage from chevy for $60.  Its just a plastic piece that fits in there, but it makes storage much easier without having to use that entire storage area.

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/2019/Chevrolet/Silverado 1500/front-console-organizer-84106530?categoryId=12001

Thanks for the reply, but there is literally no opening for this accessory.  The lid to the console does not open and there is no storage under the seatback either.  Weirdest thing I've seen in a modern truck.  My old ranch truck, a 2010 F150 XLT had storage options everywhere.

6 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Sounds like you would have had to upgrade to a Trail Boss 2LT for the extra goodies.

That is where the auto makers get you.

The Custom Boss is pretty cool looking.

Comes with Halogen lights. I don't know why GM didn't just keep the same LED squinted looking headlights on the custom.

Yeah, the price I paid for this truck makes it easier to live with, but I will need to swap something out or go custom.  The worst thing for me is the diagram in the owner's manual shows my console with a latch and an opening, but the console on my truck is a single piece of plastic where the latch should be.  I would bet that later builds will have the console that more closely matches the manual, in terms of operation.  

2 hours ago, Texas_Trail_Boss said:

Thanks for the reply, but there is literally no opening for this accessory.  The lid to the console does not open and there is no storage under the seatback either.  Weirdest thing I've seen in a modern truck.  My old ranch truck, a 2010 F150 XLT had storage options everywhere.

You could just buy a center seat/console from Chevy (one that comes with the higher trims) and swap it out.  Also, the back storage bin is a optional item you can purchase from Chevy accessories website.

If anyone has a model number or a contact where I could order an LT console I would be very grateful.  My web search has proven futile and I've searched all of the GM accessory sites I can find.  I do like the under-seat storage in the back, but for now I'm concerned with storage in the center, between the two seats.

Have you tried talking to your dealer?   They probably will be your best bet.

Hey, so I know exactly what you're talking about and I've researched this a fair bit. The way I've looked at it is, there is an armrest that should be able to bolt in place of your existing one. You'll have to swap over the seat belt and some of the trim pieces. In anything I've looked at, I don't see why it won't work. If you're interior RPO Code is "HOU" then have your local dealership look into P/N: 84541195 for the armrest and if you want the liner P/N: 84166736.

I'm not saying that this has been tried and is a 100% thing, I'm just saying that I don't see any reason what so ever as to why this wouldn't work. Parts you're looking around $600 Canadian so likely much cheaper for you down in Texas.

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎25 at 5:06 PM, Texas_Trail_Boss said:

If anyone has a model number or a contact where I could order an LT console I would be very grateful.  My web search has proven futile and I've searched all of the GM accessory sites I can find.  I do like the under-seat storage in the back, but for now I'm concerned with storage in the center, between the two seats.

I just picked up my Trail Boss Custom Saturday and I feel the exact same way. Unbelievable GM did not make this a normal center console. It’s almost like a false lid. I also want to purchase the center console out of the next higher up trim level. I just need to make sure this is possible and figure out what part numbers I need. Let me know if you are able to get this done!

On 2/17/2019 at 9:08 PM, jj_marshy said:

I just picked up my Trail Boss Custom Saturday and I feel the exact same way. Unbelievable GM did not make this a normal center console. It’s almost like a false lid. I also want to purchase the center console out of the next higher up trim level. I just need to make sure this is possible and figure out what part numbers I need. Let me know if you are able to get this done!

I haven't fixed my console yet, but I did order the backseat under-seat storage.  The official GM one for $200ish.  It arrived today and once the rain stops I'll install it and upload some pics.  

For what its worth I'm glad someone else was shocked at how DUMB the center console is on these Custom Trail Boss's.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Big Robs
      I keep hearing an interior rear cabin rattle noise when hitting bumps or rough roads. Sounds like it is coming from the interior rear cabin wall were the rear mirror is located. Has anyone experienced this issue? The second rattle noise is coming from the driver side seat belt pillar or door. The rattle noise almost sounds like plastic hitting plastic. Any ideas or has anyone experienced this?
    • By Platinum LBZ
      Hello! New to this site and I know this is Probly old news. I swapped out the interior of my 2006 LBZ with a 2005 Escalade platinum which is much nicer than the stock LT trim package. Last week I finally picked up the complete interior wire harness from a parts Escalade that I bought and parted out, the first platinum that donated the interior, the harness had been cut. So finally the heated and cooled bucket seats, (front and back) will work. Yes buckets out back are awesome! Along with the heated and cooled cup holders! Also headrest monitors for the kids!  Anyhow just thought I would share in case anyone wants to or tries the swap. Make sure to get a complete harness for the interior. The Escalade packs a big upgrade from the stock Chevy harness. It  doesn’t have all the wiring and the pin outs would drive you mad! 

• By Zane
      I recently installed the upgraded digital dash in our LTZ that did not have it thanks to White Automotive.  The process turned out to be quite a bit more daunting than I had expected. I had found a few posts (here and another better start here) that talked about upgrading the gauge cluster, however I could not find any specific step by step instructions to gain access. 

With plenty of reasons for everyone to access the radio, center console, and gauge cluster, I thought a step by step tutorial would make the project immensely easier for anyone willing to do it. And trust me, If I can do it, you can do it. 

This "How To" is in first draft form. I just wanted to get it out there for anyone who wants to do this or has been struggling with how to get the specific trim pieces that are required off. 

Photos will be added to this tutorial after Christmas
      A Video will be added to this tutorial after New Years
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Tools needed
      7mm socket with 6 inch extension & ⅜ ratchet , plastic interior trim removal tools, T15 Torx bit

Plastic Interior Trim Removal Tools are absolutely necessary. Using metal tools or screw drivers will 100% damage your interior!

We used this kit from Amazon that costs around $16.  <------ This is not a referral link. Just being helpful and showing as an example. 

Prepare by cleaning out center console, cup holders, charging area, side console storage areas, and by moving the front driver/passenger seats backwards. 
      Using towels, create a soft area to store interior pieces during work

The Steps

Pry infotainment decorative chrome/painted trim away, starting at the bottom around the HVAC vents on each side, then the top.  Remove square access cover directly next to the accelerator pedal.  Remove the 7mm screw under the decorative cover.  Place fingers in drivers side footwell console storage area and use moderate force to pull the side of the center console away.  You do not have the totally remove the panel. There are approximately 8 clips to pull loose towards the top and front of the panel.  Do the same on the passenger side, however there is no screw to remove before the panel will snap out. There are approximately 8 clips to pull loose. You do not have to totally remove the panel.  With the center console lid open, use a pry tool to pop the clips holding the top of the center console area to the center console assembly.  Pull up and disconnect approximately 10 clips around the cup holders, charging pad and/or storage pad area  and up to directly below the radio/climate controls. Do not yank the trim too far away, there are wires connected to the bottom of this trim piece.  Gently position the tray as far rearward as possible without removing the wires, or gently remove the wire connectors and place the console on your soft area.  Using a pry tool, remove the thin, curved piece of trim directly under the piano key switches. There are five clips to remove, each releasing directly towards the rear of the vehicle, parallel to the floor of the vehicle. Release  two clips on each side then pull gently to remove the center clip. Position console tray (if still attached) to remove two T15 screws at bottom of infotainment/climate control unit.  Unscrew top four T15 screws holding infotainment/climate control in place at top of unit.  Using pry bar, pull infotainment unit away, releasing approximately 8 clips around the unit. Use caution, HVAC ducting will come out with the unit, so only pull directly out.  Disconnect Unit or lean out to continue on for access to gauge cluster.  Using a plastic pry tool, release the leather infotainment trim, but only along the side of the cluster.  Using a plastic pry tool, remove the leather gauge cluster hood. The approximately 6 clips are released pulling straight up.  Remove the fuse access panel on the driver’s side door opening.  Using a T15 bit, remove the two screws holding the HVAC/switch unit in place.  Using a pry tool, pull the HVAC/switch unit directly away from the dash. There are approximately 8 clips holding it in place.  Unscrew three 7mm screws holding the front cluster trim piece in place.  Using your hands, pry the cluster trim piece away from behind the steering wheel, including the trim piece on the top of the steering wheel column that is attached.  Remove four 7mm screws holding gauge cluster in place.  For 2019 trucks, slide red locking tab and lift cam lock to remove cluster harness.  Reverse steps to reassemble.   

Please comment with any suggestions, edits, or comments. I'd like this to be as helpful as possible. 
    • By z1boss
      Well guys, I finally broke 30,000 miles yesterday.  It has been an amazing experience so far and I am very blessed to own this truck.

Background:
      I special ordered my LT Trail Boss back in May 2018 and picked it up in September 2018.  I have almost every option that you can order on it except the sunroof (would have delayed my production at the time).  My truck was built the very first week of production (7/09/2018) and is one of only a small handful of Red Silverados, if not the only one, to receive the Gideon/Dark Atmosphere leather interior as that color was changed to not an option for Red Silverados on the second week of production.  Within the first week or two of receiving it, I installed a custom Electronic Cutout System for my exhaust, Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 33.5x12.5R20 mud tires, an Undercover Ultra Flex tonneau cover, and vinyl wrapped the scoop portion of my hood.  Later on, I installed some cosmetic hood vents.  Then, about two weeks ago, I installed the Trail Boss / AT4 specific ReadyLift +2” lift kit, giving me a total of 4” inches of lift.  This allowed me to run 35x12.5s and I am loving the new taller stance of my truck more and more every day.

Review:
      I have driven my Trail Boss all over the place, in a wide variety of conditions and never had any major issues.  From -15 degree weather to over 100 degrees, this truck has performed excellent.  The only two problems I have ever had (which are resolved) was a Bluetooth sync issue very early on for a few months and a random, once-in-a-blue-moon appearance of the ESC light only to have it go away at next start up.  Both of these issues have been long gone now and I couldn’t be happier with the truck.  If I had to make a list of my favorite options, it would be the Trail Boss trim level, Safety Package I, and Convenience Package II.  In my opinion, the Trail Boss trim gives this Silverado a unique look and a tough image.  The blacked-out appearance along with the “Trail Boss” name just emphasizes that this is one bad truck (in a good way).  The Safety Package I has saved my skin so many times and in my opinion it is a must have.  The Rear Cross Traffic Alert gives you advanced warning of vehicles/pedestrians that may cross your path as you reverse, and the Side Blind Spot detectors are a huge plus in giving you peace of mind when making a lane change.  Furthermore, the Convenience Package II adds some nice creature comforts that I can’t really live without.  The Bose stereo w/ subwoofer hits loud and crystal clear.  The rear sliding window provides nice airflow in the summer months and the garage door HomeLink buttons are a nice touch.  The one thing that I do not have because it was not available in 2019 on the Trail Boss is the 6.2 L.  This is now an option for 2020 Trail Boss trims, and I am kind of upset that it wasn’t offered in 2019.  I would not trade in my truck over this, but I really wanted the bigger motor.  That being said, the 5.3 L in this new gen T1 truck is much quicker and more responsive than the 2018 and prior trucks.  It may have to do with the weigh savings this new gen truck has, in addition to the new Dynamic Fuel Management system, which is seamless and unnoticeable.  Whatever the reason, this truck has a lot of pep, even in 5.3 L form.  Overall, I am very happy with this truck and the way it has performed, and I look forward to another 30,000 miles.  Any questions just ask.

Disclaimer: No one pressured me to write this review, nor did GM have any contact with me about it.  This is my honest opinion on how I feel about the truck and I hope this review helps anyone thinking about buying one to make the right decision for them.

• By BrodyGN
      Hello, 

I wanted to see if anyone knows the actual answer about leveling a trail boss. Can you really get away with a "cheap" level ie. Rough Country using only spacers or do I need to fork out the extra and get the ready lift or fabtech with the upper control arms. Is the Readylift video brainwashing me or do you really need the control arms?!? Asking because it seems to be about $500 (CAD) difference between the two choices.