Custom Trail Boss Console Upgrade?

Picked up my Custom Trail Boss yesterday and I really like the truck, mechanically speaking.  My biggest beef is with the interior storage options.  Specifically the fact the center console doesn't have a storage compartment even though the thing is huge and the owner's manual shows there should be a storage compartment.  There's not a storage compartment under the seatback either, despite what appears to be a HUGE empty cushion sitting there.  

I have a Z71 Suburban, so I know I'm spoiled but this is crazy how few places there are to store stuff in the cab.  I'm hoping a better center console can be swapped out, but I'm worried about what options may exist with the rear seat power and air vents.  

Let me know if anyone comes across anything that can be added or modified to increase the utility for the front seat passengers.  

Thanks!

• Like 1

Sounds like you would have had to upgrade to a Trail Boss 2LT for the extra goodies.

That is where the auto makers get you.

The Custom Boss is pretty cool looking.

Comes with Halogen lights. I don't know why GM didn't just keep the same LED squinted looking headlights on the custom.

16 minutes ago, Trailboss75 said:

I bought the center console storage from chevy for $60.  Its just a plastic piece that fits in there, but it makes storage much easier without having to use that entire storage area.

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/2019/Chevrolet/Silverado 1500/front-console-organizer-84106530?categoryId=12001

Sounds like the OP is saying there is no storage at all. How would the plastic piece you reference fit in an area that has no pocket to begin with?

Is your Trail Boss a custom trim level also?

8 hours ago, Texas_Trail_Boss said:

Picked up my Custom Trail Boss yesterday and I really like the truck, mechanically speaking.  My biggest beef is with the interior storage options.  Specifically the fact the center console doesn't have a storage compartment even though the thing is huge and the owner's manual shows there should be a storage compartment.  There's not a storage compartment under the seatback either, despite what appears to be a HUGE empty cushion sitting there.  

I have a Z71 Suburban, so I know I'm spoiled but this is crazy how few places there are to store stuff in the cab.  I'm hoping a better center console can be swapped out, but I'm worried about what options may exist with the rear seat power and air vents.  

Let me know if anyone comes across anything that can be added or modified to increase the utility for the front seat passengers.  

Thanks!

The under center seat storage would be on LT, Trail Boss LT, LTZ and High Country.  Lower trims are excluded from it.  Kinda dumb IMO. 

I think you might be the first to inquire about a console swap on T1 as well...

1 hour ago, Trailboss75 said:

I bought the center console storage from chevy for $60.  Its just a plastic piece that fits in there, but it makes storage much easier without having to use that entire storage area.

https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/2019/Chevrolet/Silverado 1500/front-console-organizer-84106530?categoryId=12001

Thanks for the reply, but there is literally no opening for this accessory.  The lid to the console does not open and there is no storage under the seatback either.  Weirdest thing I've seen in a modern truck.  My old ranch truck, a 2010 F150 XLT had storage options everywhere.

6 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Sounds like you would have had to upgrade to a Trail Boss 2LT for the extra goodies.

That is where the auto makers get you.

The Custom Boss is pretty cool looking.

Comes with Halogen lights. I don't know why GM didn't just keep the same LED squinted looking headlights on the custom.

Yeah, the price I paid for this truck makes it easier to live with, but I will need to swap something out or go custom.  The worst thing for me is the diagram in the owner's manual shows my console with a latch and an opening, but the console on my truck is a single piece of plastic where the latch should be.  I would bet that later builds will have the console that more closely matches the manual, in terms of operation.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texas_Trail_Boss said:

Thanks for the reply, but there is literally no opening for this accessory.  The lid to the console does not open and there is no storage under the seatback either.  Weirdest thing I've seen in a modern truck.  My old ranch truck, a 2010 F150 XLT had storage options everywhere.

You could just buy a center seat/console from Chevy (one that comes with the higher trims) and swap it out.  Also, the back storage bin is a optional item you can purchase from Chevy accessories website.

• Like 1

If anyone has a model number or a contact where I could order an LT console I would be very grateful.  My web search has proven futile and I've searched all of the GM accessory sites I can find.  I do like the under-seat storage in the back, but for now I'm concerned with storage in the center, between the two seats.

Hey, so I know exactly what you're talking about and I've researched this a fair bit. The way I've looked at it is, there is an armrest that should be able to bolt in place of your existing one. You'll have to swap over the seat belt and some of the trim pieces. In anything I've looked at, I don't see why it won't work. If you're interior RPO Code is "HOU" then have your local dealership look into P/N: 84541195 for the armrest and if you want the liner P/N: 84166736.

I'm not saying that this has been tried and is a 100% thing, I'm just saying that I don't see any reason what so ever as to why this wouldn't work. Parts you're looking around $600 Canadian so likely much cheaper for you down in Texas.

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎25 at 5:06 PM, Texas_Trail_Boss said:

If anyone has a model number or a contact where I could order an LT console I would be very grateful.  My web search has proven futile and I've searched all of the GM accessory sites I can find.  I do like the under-seat storage in the back, but for now I'm concerned with storage in the center, between the two seats.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up my Trail Boss Custom Saturday and I feel the exact same way. Unbelievable GM did not make this a normal center console. It’s almost like a false lid. I also want to purchase the center console out of the next higher up trim level. I just need to make sure this is possible and figure out what part numbers I need. Let me know if you are able to get this done!

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 9:08 PM, jj_marshy said:

I just picked up my Trail Boss Custom Saturday and I feel the exact same way. Unbelievable GM did not make this a normal center console. It’s almost like a false lid. I also want to purchase the center console out of the next higher up trim level. I just need to make sure this is possible and figure out what part numbers I need. Let me know if you are able to get this done!

I haven't fixed my console yet, but I did order the backseat under-seat storage.  The official GM one for $200ish.  It arrived today and once the rain stops I'll install it and upload some pics.  

For what its worth I'm glad someone else was shocked at how DUMB the center console is on these Custom Trail Boss's.

• Like 2