Custom Trail Boss Console Upgrade?

I'm a little late to this thread, but I'm going to chime in anyway. 

I had quickly scrolled past a few comments here and there about complaints about interior storage, but never gave them much thought.  When I clicked into this thread, I was shocked.  How can you offer a giant centre console / bench with NO storage?  That is inexcusable and ridiculous. 

When the 2019 configurator came online, I built a lot of different trucks, and at a glance, it looked like the Custom / Custom TB were the best value, and would be a good choice for me.  But, I'm not sure I could look past that giant flaw.  Overall, the interior looks pretty poor.  Lots of blank plugs and buttons.  Why is my 2018 Base Sierra so much better?  GM has removed so much content from the Custom truck, it's sad. 

You could stay, who cares, stop complaining, and buy a higher trim level if you want more features.  While that's a fair point, I think basic trims that get used as company work trucks, can influence a customer's perception of a model and brand.  If you drive a company work truck, that you think is terrible, you might be less likely to even look at the higher trim models for your personal vehicle. 

Edited by rkj__
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rkj__ said:

You could stay, who cares, stop complaining, and buy a higher trim level if you want more features.  While that's a fair point, I think basic trims that get used as company work trucks, can influence a customer's perception of a model and brand.  If you drive a company work truck, that you think is terrible, you might be less likely to even look at the higher trim models for your personal vehicle. 

I might have ordered a higher trim level if I would have known the console had no storage, but it's not mentioned anywhere. I also didn't think to ask of the rear doors open, some things you just assume are going to be there. Mine was the first Custom the sales guy had seen, he spent 10 minutes trying to get it open. It probably costs Chevy more to produce two different consoles than to include what should have been there all along. 

Edited by 383

15 hours ago, rkj__ said:

I'm a little late to this thread, but I'm going to chime in anyway. 

I had quickly scrolled past a few comments here and there about complaints about interior storage, but never gave them much thought.  When I clicked into this thread, I was shocked.  How can you offer a giant centre console / bench with NO storage?  That is inexcusable and ridiculous. 

When the 2019 configurator came online, I built a lot of different trucks, and at a glance, it looked like the Custom / Custom TB were the best value, and would be a good choice for me.  But, I'm not sure I could look past that giant flaw.  Overall, the interior looks pretty poor.  Lots of blank plugs and buttons.  Why is my 2018 Base Sierra so much better?  GM has removed some much content from the Custom truck, it's sad. 

No one buys these trucks for the center console storage. That's the main issue, and they realized it and took advantage - I feel like sometimes I walk away and tend to accept them for what they are, because I put that on myself for not checking. But GM has to take responsibility too.

It's not the end of the world, the truck is still amazing, I just need somewhere to throw a couple of odds and ends. I think anything above a WT model should have the storage compartment, regardless of the cost reduction on custom's/elevations/etc.

9 hours ago, 383 said:

I might have ordered a higher trim level if I would have known the console had no storage, but it's not mentioned anywhere. I also didn't think to ask of the rear doors open, some things you just assume are going to be there. Mine was the first Custom the sales guy had seen, he spent 10 minutes trying to get it open. It probably costs Chevy more to produce two different consoles than to include what should have been there all along. 

What is the issue with the rear door? I'm just learning about the truck.

I call BS on the fact you'd spend 5k+ more to go to a higher trim just for a center console that can be fixed for ~$300. Maybe you would of ordered this via the dealer, but no one upgrades trims for this option. Again I agree with you in the fact that this shouldn't be an issue in a 2019 trail boss (which still isn't cheap).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tanner709 said:

What is the issue with the rear door? I'm just learning about the truck.

I call BS on the fact you'd spend 5k+ more to go to a higher trim just for a center console that can be fixed for ~$300. Maybe you would of ordered this via the dealer, but no one upgrades trims for this option. Again I agree with you in the fact that this shouldn't be an issue in a 2019 trail boss (which still isn't cheap).

No issues with the rear door, just used that as an example of thing that you don't normally think about checking, you just assume it is there. 

You are correct, it's not worth a $5k upgrade for the console, but is is just aggravating enough to be a real downer when you get a new truck. Also the WT truck has a pocket on the back of the front seats that the Custom doesn't have, another thing that doesn't seem like the savings would be worth having two different seats in inventory. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 383 said:

No issues with the rear door, just used that as an example of thing that you don't normally think about checking, you just assume it is there. 

You are correct, it's not worth a $5k upgrade for the console, but is is just aggravating enough to be a real downer when you get a new truck. Also the WT truck has a pocket on the back of the front seats that the Custom doesn't have, another thing that doesn't seem like the savings would be worth having two different seats in inventory. 

GM does some odd things. But I've been in the forums long enough they do also listen to the complaints. A lot of the changes were the stickies on this forum, which is great to see. But, they still have a ways to go in my eyes.

the major complaints I have about my custom trail boss;

- no LED or HID lighting. It's 2019 get your shit together, any truck over 40k should have this. The bed lights and interior have LED but the headlights don't?

- the tailgate is aluminum and plastic. it's a POS, and its not going to stand up to any abuse. You have to treat it like a wet soda cracker. Not truck-worthy.

- no CD player (minor flaw) again it's 2019 this should be a standard option. I was surprised to find no CD player.

- as mentioned the lack of storage all around. Mainly the center console, front hump, and rear storageunder the seats which is taken up even more by the bottle jack than before. Glove boxes are small as well

- no stock rear wheel well liners, yet they are on the front? I purchased these $350+

- unable to toggle the camera without sliding the screen and clicking, then it only toggles for 10s (which would be fine if I had a toggle button on the wheel) so the 10s camera shot IS distracting while trying not to be.

- gas door is not locking. especially with the capless filler, this should be a locking door, actuated via remote or inside the cab/park indicator. To deter tampering

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 9:27 AM, dctackett10 said:

For those who aren’t part of the trailboss Facebook group. Someone posted this a few weeks back.   Looks like he just changed the top part of the jump seat out. 

B0BEE095-54C9-4EE5-9836-932070A8227E.png

There is no image of this part number so do you know what piece it actually is? Is it the top w/ storage and you keep the rest as is (with the seat still in place)? any images of this particular part # for reference? thanks for sharing!

1 minute ago, JayTrailBoss said:

There is no image of this part number so do you know what piece it actually is? Is it the top w/ storage and you keep the rest as is (with the seat still in place)? any images of this particular part # for reference? thanks for sharing!

Lol go to that link

I'll gladly pay the $350 for an opening console to save $5k over the premium for the LT.

But I agree it should be an opening console on the custom and custom TB. 

($350 for a console, $40 for LED headlights, $80 for heated seats...all stuff I'd rather get from factory)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roddy8 said:

I'll gladly pay the $350 for an opening console to save $5k over the premium for the LT.

But I agree it should be an opening console on the custom and custom TB. 

($350 for a console, $40 for LED headlights, $80 for heated seats...all stuff I'd rather get from factory)

your prices seems great. aside from the console, where can we get these!

2 hours ago, snowman44 said:

$80 for heated seats?How can I make that happen?

right. and $40 LED lights sounds great too, sign me up.

5 hours ago, snowman44 said:

$80 for heated seats?How can I make that happen?

WATERCARBON HSK150 Deluxe Automobile Heated Seat Kit - same factory as Dorman

Edited by Roddy8
  • Like 1