Airlift airbag system

I installed these on my 6.2 NHT 4x4.  I had a lot of trouble with the front clamping bracket that goes under the brake line cover.  The cover just wont fit.  I had to trim down the standoff height of the bracket with my chop saw.  Not sure if the NHT is different than normal axle or what the deal was.  

So far I'm just filling with the Schrader valve when pulling my 6000 lb camper.  Looking at which pump to get.   Probably go with the wireless one.  It rides super smooth.  

20200105_163732.jpg

Bags are fine. I haven't towed anything heavy with it lately but it does still work lol. I saw the auto level setup and honestly i don't think its worth the extra money. Once the trailers loaded and you pick your psi you want its very easy to bump it up 5-10psi if you think its being a little to bouncy.

I just bought a 2020 3.0L Sierra SLT and looking to put these bags on. I previously had a 2016 Sierra with the lighter duty bags from AirLift and they were good, when not towing, ride was pretty much like stock. Since these are the heavier duty, 5000lbs load leveling vs the 2000lbs I had, what is the ride like when not towing, with the min 5-10psi? Has the ride been affected at all? Thanks for your time in replying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2020 3.0 and added the 5000 air bags 8000 miles ago for towing a couple of trailers, largest being bumper pull RV..  Also have the wireless air compressor system.  Everything works as one would expect, very nice.  When i am unloaded I run the bags at 10psi and have found the only time it does not feel "stock" is going over speed bumps and both rear tires hit a same time.  

• Like 1

Are Air bags really needed for a 6,000lb trailer?   My LT Trials boss with 6.2 is coning in 2 weeks.  I pull a trailer which weights around 7,000 lbs loaded.  As long as the tongue weight isn't too much and I have a weight distribution hitch I shouldn't need air bags, correct?

I pulled the same trailer with a tundra and no air bags needed.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

19 hours ago, no more tundra said:

Are Air bags really needed for a 6,000lb trailer?   My LT Trials boss with 6.2 is coning in 2 weeks.  I pull a trailer which weights around 7,000 lbs loaded.  As long as the tongue weight isn't too much and I have a weight distribution hitch I shouldn't need air bags, correct?

I pull a 20 foot aluma trailer which is 1100 lbs and a polaris rzr which is 1600 lbs and it made my ltz with a 6.2 sag pretty good which is why I did the air bags.  Did it affect my driving with it sagging.... no, but I couldnt stand the sag.

i was in the same boat, the heaviest trailer I tow with this truck is 7600lbs with a tongue weight of around 760lbs.  Even with the weight distribution hitch I had more sag than I wanted so I added the bags.  Other trailers that I tow do not have WD hitch and it surely helps.  

On 1/21/2020 at 2:40 PM, woychc said:

I just bought a 2020 3.0L Sierra SLT and looking to put these bags on. I previously had a 2016 Sierra with the lighter duty bags from AirLift and they were good, when not towing, ride was pretty much like stock. Since these are the heavier duty, 5000lbs load leveling vs the 2000lbs I had, what is the ride like when not towing, with the min 5-10psi? Has the ride been affected at all? Thanks for your time in replying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I didn't really notice a difference in unloaded ride quality but at the same time I came from driving a 3/4 ton diesel. Someone was talking about a weight distribution hitch and you are correct about not needing airbags with it. I use my air bags for very short distance trips where I'll end up hauling close to 15k ibs aside from that I just like them to reduce the sag.

20191105_090933.jpg

• Like 1

I just don't want then quality of the normal ride to change.  I only use it about 5% of the time when pulling my travel trailer.  thanks again for the responses.  My truck is due at the dealer on Monday!  First thing I will do is hook it up to my trailer with weight distribution hitch and see how it sags.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 2:05 PM, Unclebud87 said:

Personally I didn't really notice a difference in unloaded ride quality but at the same time I came from driving a 3/4 ton diesel. Someone was talking about a weight distribution hitch and you are correct about not needing airbags with it. I use my air bags for very short distance trips where I'll end up hauling close to 15k ibs aside from that I just like them to reduce the sag.

20191105_090933.jpg

Hey!  Did the bags add any lift to the truck when installed?  I know my load leveller ones didn't on my 2016 but was just wondering if these 5000lbs ones do?   My truck is currently a stock SLT.  

4 hours ago, woychc said:

Hey!  Did the bags add any lift to the truck when installed?  I know my load leveller ones didn't on my 2016 but was just wondering if these 5000lbs ones do?   My truck is currently a stock SLT.  

I didn't measure it but I'm pretty sure it did pick up the back maybe an inch.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 12:49 PM, no more tundra said:

Any update on how your Trail Boss is doing pulling your trailer?