Popping noise from under the bed area?

I'm going to have to try this.

May be a stupid question, but is there any chance of the plastic melting over time? I'd hate for it to disintegrate into a sticky mess after a year. Wouldn't be much different than the dealer slapping grease all over it though, I'd suppose.

Never say never but I don't think so. They aren't near anything that gets hot. I was worried that thru just normal use they would weasel their way out and be gone since there is no tabs or anything holding them in place. I've checked every once and a while and the grip between the 2 leafs sandwiches nice and tight and havent budged. I'm sure after times (years) the pressure will corrode and make them brittle and I'll have to replace them but the hose is so damn cheap you would have enough for the life of owning the truck. I would assume any hose whether the fish tank, radiator , heater hose or what not would do the job.

since I added these she is super quiet. No creaks or zounds like buckling metal. Just makes all the bumps and stuff feel super nice. Plus that clunk you get from slowing down and/or then getting on the gas again...gone. Not sure if the 2 are connected

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by Jeff5347

Well after adding these and just 2 days of driving they are sliding around. Still in there but the driver side, the one that made the noise, is dancing around. Now gotta find how to keep it in place

• 11 months later...

I am going to add my truck to the list of popping/clunking coming from the rear while truck moves laterally. It has been in the dealership and they have greased the springs and re-torqued the U-bolts and shackles. It fixed it for a day then it rain and it's back even worse. I have a 2016 Silverado 1500 Crew cab Z71 with 10,250miles. The dealership told me that since they preformed the TSB on it they will have to get info back from GM on the next step to be performed.

When the tuck is pushed side to side and you place your hand on the leaf springs you can feel the noise come through them. But sitting in the truck it is hard to tell if its front or rear, because I originally believed it was the front end until I stood on the bumper and it made the noise.

I don't abuse the truck nor take it off road. I am very particular with my truck and keep it well maintained.

I traded in my 2011 Silverado 2500 Duramax and it never made this kind of noise from the suspension. Some days I miss that beast.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to add my truck to the list of popping/clunking coming from the rear while truck moves laterally. It has been in the dealership and they have greased the springs and re-torqued the U-bolts and shackles. It fixed it for a day then it rain and it's back even worse. I have a 2016 Silverado 1500 Crew cab Z71 with 10,250miles. The dealership told me that since they preformed the TSB on it they will have to get info back from GM on the next step to be performed.

When the tuck is pushed side to side and you place your hand on the leaf springs you can feel the noise come through them. But sitting in the truck it is hard to tell if its front or rear, because I originally believed it was the front end until I stood on the bumper and it made the noise.

I don't abuse the truck nor take it off road. I am very particular with my truck and keep it well maintained.

I traded in my 2011 Silverado 2500 Duramax and it never made this kind of noise from the suspension. Some days I miss that beast.

This is near identical to what I've experienced both in the issues and how they have been addressed. I do know that replacing the leaf springs solved the issue for about 8,000 to 9,000 miles, but the issues return after that. Now the service manager is saying the TSB says to just Moly grease them. That did not eliminate the noise entirely, and the loud bang, pop, clunking is worse than ever at this point with about 35,600 miles on the 2016 truck. I truly believe these GM springs are complete junk. It's only a matter of time before a recall or someone files a class action lawsuit. It's to the point of driving people nuts, because there is no permanent fix as of now. The regional GM rep flew down from Detroit to meet with me and the dealerships service manager and literally told me to just turn the radio up.. Well these noises sometimes overpower the radio and you can feel it in the seats, in the pedals, and even in the steering wheel from time to time. They also told me to just trade it in for 1/2 price on a sedan if I want something more quiet. Well I need a truck not a sedan. And evidently GM can't make a decent truck or product anymore. They say this sub par performance is just "normal". Hope their sales and stocks tumble like they did in the recession. Only this time we hopefully won't be dumb enough to bail them out.

Hate to restart up an old thread, but my 2015 Sierra just started doing this the past two weeks or so. 6700 miles on it. Brought it to the dealership today, they torqued the leaf springs and claimed the noise was normal. Unfortunately it didn't solve anything at all...

Likely leaf springs. more of pop, clunk, bump, Not really the squeak issues found on the older models. I've had mine replaced twice, and they are doing it again and again and again. Now the dealer won't even replace them. Says it's how their trucks perform and that's just normal. I know from experience that replacing the leaf springs solved the issue for about 8,000 to 9,000 miles, but the issues return after that. Now the service manager is saying the TSB says to just Moly grease them. That did not eliminate the noise entirely, and the loud bang, pop, clunking is worse than ever at this point with about 35,600 miles on the 2016 truck. Not to mention the moly grease cakes with grit and can even contribute to more issues down the road. I truly believe these GM springs are complete junk. It's only a matter of time before a recall is issued or someone files a class action lawsuit. It's to the point of driving people nuts, because there is no permanent fix as of now. The regional GM rep flew down from Detroit to meet with me and the dealerships service manager and literally told me to just turn the radio up.. Well these noises sometimes overpower the radio and you can feel it in the seats, in the pedals, and even in the steering wheel from time to time. They also told me to just trade it in for 1/2 price on a sedan if I want something more quiet. Well I need a truck not a sedan. And evidently GM can't make a decent truck or product anymore. They say this sub par performance is just "normal". Hope their sales and stocks tumble like they did in the recession. Only this time we hopefully won't be dumb enough to bail them out.

Likely leaf springs. more of pop, clunk, bump, Not really the squeak issues found on the older models. I've had mine replaced twice, and they are doing it again and again and again. Now the dealer won't even replace them. Says it's how their trucks perform and that's just normal. I know from experience that replacing the leaf springs solved the issue for about 8,000 to 9,000 miles, but the issues return after that. Now the service manager is saying the TSB says to just Moly grease them. That did not eliminate the noise entirely, and the loud bang, pop, clunking is worse than ever at this point with about 35,600 miles on the 2016 truck. Not to mention the moly grease cakes with grit and can even contribute to more issues down the road. I truly believe these GM springs are complete junk. It's only a matter of time before a recall is issued or someone files a class action lawsuit. It's to the point of driving people nuts, because there is no permanent fix as of now. The regional GM rep flew down from Detroit to meet with me and the dealerships service manager and literally told me to just turn the radio up.. Well these noises sometimes overpower the radio and you can feel it in the seats, in the pedals, and even in the steering wheel from time to time. They also told me to just trade it in for 1/2 price on a sedan if I want something more quiet. Well I need a truck not a sedan. And evidently GM can't make a decent truck or product anymore. They say this sub par performance is just "normal". Hope their sales and stocks tumble like they did in the recession. Only this time we hopefully won't be dumb enough to bail them out.

It's frustrating. Mine were greased by the dealership which lasted maybe 10k miles tops. I'm thinking of trying the bicycle tire between the leafs route. Regardless, this is the most annoying part of my truck. I enjoy driving in the rain because it stops the creak & clunk for the most part. I wonder if anyone has had luck with after market leaf packs.

I would like to add to this thread.

I have been noticing a clunk / thunk noise coming from the rear of the truck when traversing uneven terrain and bumps, mainly on the dirt road leading in to my neighborhood. I thought it was a shock as many in this thread have concluded. So, this weekend, I had someone shake my truck side to side using the rear hand hold stake pocket while I was under the truck. I found that it is deep tone metal to metal thunk on the backside of the passenger rear wheel. I immediately called the dealership and took my truck in. When I got there, the service writer went to get the tech who diagnosed this exact noise just 2 weeks ago as a heat shield. When I shook the truck for the tech and the sound immediately repeated as it it did in my driveway, he did not hesitate to tell me that it was normal for any solid axle vehicle to have slack and that noise is the slack being taken up. My wife and I both questioned him as I have not ever heard this type of noise (plus you can actually feel it when you put your hand on the center cap) and he swore that it was normal. I've not shaken any trucks on thier lot, but I will be soon.

Has anyone else heard of this? Am I being paranoid? Is this normal?

I have this issue on my truck and the dealer told me it was "end play" and was normal. Well they didn't even take the time to measure if the "end play" was within GM specification. My truck is also one of the lucky ones that has a serious bang/pop/clunk noise that people are describing on the late model years. I do know that not all of the trucks have this noise. I also know of machinist for aerospace engineering companies that swear that there should be virtually no end play, and certainly no noise should be coming from the rear axle as a result of any such condition. There are plenty of other manufacturer's that do not have "end play" in their rear axles that are making this kind of racket.

It's frustrating. Mine were greased by the dealership which lasted maybe 10k miles tops. I'm thinking of trying the bicycle tire between the leafs route. Regardless, this is the most annoying part of my truck. I enjoy driving in the rain because it stops the creak & clunk for the most part. I wonder if anyone has had luck with after market leaf packs.

Totally agree. I really liked the look of the truck both inside and out when I was looking at other makes and models. This noise is so pronounced and noticeable when driving down the road that it's embarrassing. The rain only masks it slightly at this point. What's even more disturbing is how GM's Midwest Regional Service Manager handled my case. He was such a coward he couldn't even give me his business card. Only had a nametag on stating who he was and his home office location. He essentially tried to tell me to just deal with it. It's definitely the worst money I've ever spent on something. I really hate GM because of my experience and how they treated me. It was the last GM product my family will ever own due to the experience and treatment.

• Sad 1

Where did you find this info? is there a bulletin number associated with it? I might have them do this next time I take it in for service.

Switch, do you have any pics of your fix and where you got the stuff to fix it. My problem is it sounds like a loose shock mount or something. So me being the detective I got under the truck and shook and moved it. Couldn't replicate it. So I grabbed my rear Dr tire and started to shake it hard. What I found is the leaf at the rear part is rubbing on the upper and lower where there is a piece of plastic to separate the 2. In this pic where the 2 are sandwiched is a isolator and that is where I can feel it and if I wedge a screwdriver in to separate them the noise disappears. Any fix for this?

11f73b8721199256412a5440c5c430d3.jpg

Probably the best diagnosis and info yet on the topic on the late model trucks as far as rear suspension noise.

My 2016 Silverado 1500 LT series truck hasn't developed a "squeak" as some of the earlier models but it definitely fits the description of a defined a pop, clunk, bang. I want to say the earlier model styles did not have as many plastic pads in between the springs which may have been a contributing factor to the "squeeks"? Well GM updated the spring design in the late models to have more integrated plastic pads and revised the retaining C clip with a plastic liner sometime possibly around 2015-2016 year. It eliminated some of the "sqeeks" but now is in part contributing to the pop, bang, clunk, as road grit gets ground into the plastic pads between the leafs. It's good to know this home remedy may also temporarily fix what appears to be what some describe as an "end play" issue with in the axle. The condition may actually be the leaf's rubbing as the truck bed is shook from side to side. I know when I had my leaf springs replaced twice, this end play issue nearly was eliminated altogether. However 10,000 miles on each GM leaf pack and the end play returns. I really believe GM engineering, R&D should take a hard look at the leaf spring designs on these series trucks and do something about it. People are getting pissed off and the GM brand is developing a bad reputation (not in a good way) for having a poorly designed rear suspension, problematic and noisy vehicle as a result amongst the truck buyers. GM engineers need to come up with a permanent solution that solves the problem instead of the current constant clean, grease, repeat TSB band-aid. Any form of lubricant, especially grease is only traps road grit, which is a major contributing factor to the issue to begin with (friction between the metals and pads). I have no doubt there will be more people with this issue on their vehicles as people begin to put more miles on their late model vehicles.

• Like 1

It's most likely the leaf springs. Had mine replaced... all good.

Well GM won't replace them anymore. Had mine replaced twice on a 2016 under warranty. Problems returned. Now they say the TSB will only let them grease them with a special moly based GM grease. I can say the grease lasted about 1 oil change, or 3000-4000 miles. Now the dealer says I should pay a little extra to have the leaf springs fully cleaned, greased and serviced every oil change. If I were to change out the springs they tell me all my drivetrain warranty would be void. What a joke of a truck and corporation. Can't wait to get into another brand. GM is quickly becoming the POS brand amongst truck buyers.

Rear rancho shocks replaced by dealer. Problem solved!!

There is a bulletin in the dealer's online service manual on this.

Guys: this problem has been haunting me on my new 14 for the first 9000 miles. It's been getting progressively worse. More prominent when wet and when turning left. I initially thought shocks, then in my mind went through every other possibility from pinion nut to differential, I inspected springs, brakes, body mounts, fuel tank, on and on. I finally took a picture of my shock with the rub marks, oil, and dust on it and a bare metal spot near its upper mount where the undercoating had been rubbed off.

I finally said to myself - you're overthinking this. Insisted based on this physical evidence that dealer replace shock. They did the one and told me they were doing the second one because it was 'blown out' also. I'm ecstatic. No longer any noise at all, and the rear end is a whole lot less jumpy than it was. Drives much better. I think everyone with this problem should insist on replacing the ranchos. They must have had a bad run or something.

My rear ranchos were failing at about 25,000 miles. Replaced all 4 shocks hopping the problems would go away and the pop,clunk, bang noise was still there. Some of the issues described in this thread could be the junk ranchos, but I suspect a lot more are actually the leaf springs. It's difficult to believe leaf springs could fail at low mileage, but I believe these late model trucks have a sub par leaf spring design that is contributing to most of the issues on the other posts.

Your leaf springs need to be re torqued they sometimes move after they settle in.

This is common practise in the suspension industry to re torque shackles and leafs after 1000 miles.

My 2013 sierra's leaf springs moved at least 1" I had it retorqued and the shackle bolts too.

Had mine re-torqued on a 2016. GM Dealer told me all was fine. Problem was still there as I drove off their parking lot that evening. Took back, at least 4 more times, replaced the leaf springs two more times, or every 10,000 miles. Problem returned each time after 10,000 miles or less. Now the GM dealer won't replace them because of how the TSB reads. GM's recommended grease lasted about 3000-4000 miles for me and now is louder than ever. Stuck with the issue indefinitely on a $50,000 truck.

Mine makes all kinds of weird noises at different times. I haven't driven it enough to pinpoint when they happen. I get the popping sound in the rear, a popping sound in the front. A sort of consistent whining noise, from the front driver side, very subtle, that comes and goes at the exact same time intervals at highway speed. like a weeeeoooooweeeeeeooooweeeeeeooooo.. Best i can duplicated it in text. My truck makes ALOT of noises over even slight bumps. Just don't have time, with work, to deal with any of it.

Popping in the rear may be leaf springs. Trade in every (50) miles or so is what GM wants.

2014 5.3 z71 4x4 1300 miles 3.08 gear ratio

Has anyone had an issue with a loud popping noise from under the bed or around the back wheels area? This is most noticable in the morning and when you are accelerating from a stop around 5 - 10 mph.

Dropped the truck off this morning but wanted to see if anyone else had the issue in case they come back and say they can't replicate or find the problem.

YES. Good luck is all I can say.

I have a noise that sounds like the rear leaf springs during tight turn/backup maneuvers. I also hear it if I am on a road or hill that causes the rear end to flex. Not 100% sure it isn't normal, but I seem to just be noticing it now at 5000 miles, so not sure if this is a new noise or I just never noticed.

It's "normal" for GM's Regional Service rep/manager, however I had a local GM service manager, myself, a aerospace machinist, a licensed mechanic and just about everyone on this forum say otherwise on an issue that sounds very similar to yours. Amazing how they weasel their way out of warranty repairs to save the billion dollar corporation $.