The Interior "Snap, Crackle, Pop" Thread

I too have the "stone hitting the windshield" cracking sound when I drive down the freeway. I've had my 14 Sierra All Terrain for a little over a month now and have about 2000 miles on it. I started hearing the sound within the first week of ownership and like everybody else I thought it was a rock hitting the windshield. It's a little dissappointing that it's happening, but my biggest gripe with the truck is the throttle response, man is it slow... I end up flooring it all the time just to get it moving!

I wonder if it could be considered a driving hazard all of us out there scanning the windshield for phantom rock impact. We had a few days in the 60's/70's last weekend and I didn't notice the sound as much. Maybe its a cool whether phenomenon...

I too found the throttle response horrible when I first drove my new truck. I had the fire recall reprogramming done around 700 miles and the service guy said the tech had done something else when reprogramming for the throttle response. I haven't heard anything about programming specific to that so maybe B.S. but my truck definitely had better response in the first 1/4 of the peddle travel. No more giving it tons of gas for medium response. I'm on 18" wheels btw, some say the larger wheels have an effect on throttle response, which makes sense mathematically...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My newer 14 has the stone hitting the glass sound. Curious if anyone has found the cause?

Bad quality control and design by GM.

My High Country has vibration issues so because of loaners I have been in about 10 different trucks now.

The High Country is the worse but many have the issue.

With miles it has gone away, I hear it very seldom. When it did it regularly (every 10 miles or so) I found a fix that stopped would stop it. I would take my fist and beat the hell out of the dash. Then it would stop doing it.

I know it is not any of these; the mirror, the safety sensor above the mirror, the iLink radio, leather interior the air conditioner. I have been in trucks that did the same thing that would have these items or not and it would still do it.

I had my hand on the radio once and could feel the pop when it happened. I think it is a stress release in the way the dash bolts or attaches together.

I had the truck in the dealer for vibration and asked him to check it out, he heard it and thought it might be in the vent controls of the heater.

So no fix found but it has seem to go away. Then it is summer so maybe it is cold related and will return next winter.

• 2 weeks later...

rattle at left dash speaker. Found missing foam on left speaker where it contacts dash trim panel.

Thank you, mine had been in 3 times for this. I stuffed one piece of foam in there today and no more rattle. It would always rattle on left hand turns but not anymore.

Chalk another one up to "stone hitting the windshield" low on passenger side is what my ears are telling me, haven't had anyone riding shotgun when it happened to confirm. It does sound like a stress release. Anyone dialed in a cause/solution?

Mine does it too. It just sounds like the dashboard or something behind it expanding and contracting with thermal changes. Like after the AC has been running for a bit in a car that was originally at 120 F on the inside or something like that.

Mine made the "rock hitting the windshield sound" all winter but I havent heard it since it warmed up. I'm hoping everthing is finally broke in and it wont come back in the winter. It concerned me a few times...I looked everywhere for a crack the first time it happened!

I had the same sounds, "rock hitting the windshield sound" for the last several months. Yesterday my windshield cracked after one of these "pops" and broke starting from the top outside edge of the glass and ran for about 16 inches. I believe this is the cab flexing, the way the windshield is mounted between the pillars leaves no room for expansion/contraction. I called the dealer yesterday and the service manager said he had the same thing happen to his Silverado a month ago.

There is no visible rock chip in the glass, it literally just broke.

I had the same sounds, "rock hitting the windshield sound" for the last several months. Yesterday my windshield cracked after one of these "pops" and broke starting from the top outside edge of the glass and ran for about 16 inches. I believe this is the cab flexing, the way the windshield is mounted between the pillars leaves no room for expansion/contraction. I called the dealer yesterday and the service manager said he had the same thing happen to his Silverado a month ago.

Not what I was hoping to hear.. Sorry for you luck. Hope mine doesn't follow the same fate. Emailed the dealer to make sure they can't call it my fault if/when it cracks, fingers crossed.

"There is no visible rock chip in the glass, it literally just broke"

Interesting .... got me thinking about my new Sierra. Drove it down a backroad for a few miles early one morning to hunt a few months back....it was still dark outside. Didn't even pass another vehicle. Later that morning when I was done hunting (private land, no one else hunting but me) I went to my truck, and noticed the bottom driver side of my windshield was cracked. To this day I don't know how the hell it happened. It was fine the night before.

Don't know if this was related or help contribute... but I did have a rock hit the windshield two different occasions in the previous 6 months. But they just left a little mark .. and they were months before.. and more than 6 inches from where the crack was found that morning..

Maybe when I was driving through the woods that morning I hit a bump and that caused it to crack. Don't know because the crack wasn't big... only about 4 inches.

I do auto transport & one morning woke up to the sound of glass blowing out. The vehicle (not a GM product) was on the trailer & while parked the rear glass blew out. Called back to the factory yard & before I could finish the sentence they asked "did the glass blow out?" Um yeah. This had happened more than once apparently.

Long story short, all they wanted was the ID code off the glass. Seems the flaw is NOT the design of the vehicle, but of the glass itself that tracks back to the glass mfg.

Edited by '01LS1