2014+ Engine & Transmission Tuning

They're still waiting on some trans software/updates (I believe from the EFI Live people...?) but should be able to tune 6-speed soon. When you buy a Black Bear tune, it includes Motor & Trans, as well as programming updates. I know some other tuners out there are already doing the trans, but I went with Black Bear because they are highly respected on this forum and have a track record of doing things the right way, no shortcuts.

As for warranty concerns, I asked Black Bear about the 2014's "flash counter" and will it cause my tune be obvious to GM. I was told: "GM should be none-the-wiser about the tune. There is not a flash counter, but there is flash history tracking. This is only updated if the ECM thinks that the tune has changed. You can flash the same tune file in 100x and it will not register it." Sweet!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at the dyno shop right now getting my Corsa system installed and I already have an Airaid intake. Debating hard on a custom I just want to read some feedback on ppl that have tuned and what they got out of the truck. 5.3 3.42 crew cab is what I'll be modifying. I did some searching but can't find a lot of info. If I may have missed some good threads post up the links. I have a few hours to decide. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah they specialize in Ls engines and swapping them into just about anything. They have a 350z with a Ls9 swap and brog warner 67mm turbo making 780 to the wheels. And a 95 BMW 3 series also Ls9 swap all motor 600 to the ground. To many crazy builds to list But yeah I've only seen the 6.2 tune thread.

• Like 2

But with so much success with tuning now a days it'll only make the truck operate and drive better no? This is complete custom dyno tuned. Truck made 286/348 stock with 22's.

The power train warranty will be blocked/voided if it goes in for service of internal engine and or transmissions components. If for example the alternator or other engine accessory goes out they may not check the codes and replace the part under warranty. At any rate it's always a risk but then again if you start getting nickeled and dimed in repairs you could trade it and get a new or slightly used one with warranty. My guess is that a tuned truck driven within reason will be ok. The 5.3 gains nearly 30 hp and tq with E85 so I think the drivetrain could handle a tune without issue.

Chevy engineers are missing out on extra cash if they offered factory tuning which didn't affect warranty. They could offer stock, mild, and wild as choices.

• Like 2

Yeah you all make good valid points.. I just would love to feel the difference with it tuned up and what not. There's so many adjustments they can tweak it's crazy. And under normal dd it would be ideal I think.. But at the end of the day with this being a first year model and potentially having issues down the road I don't think it would be to smart to hack into it. Ugh lol. Guess the positive side is I still have my diesel. I may hold off on the tune and maybe down the road after some more research and development it'll make more sense. The last thing I need is to tune it and have an issue that'll make me come out of pocket for. Thanks for the responses so far it's helping me out

I have no doubt the truck could handle the tune.. My main fear is future recalls or anything of the sort and having it tuned will void me qualifying for the fix. I don't think the possible 15-20 hp will be worth thousands of potential dollars out of pocket to fix something connected to the tune.

Edited by Dj0nes

The warranty scare doesn't make it an easy choice, that's for sure. I'm going to do my 6.2 anyway though.

I'm weighing the odds (or what I guess them to be) of having a major powertrain failure and having the dealer (successfully) deny warranty coverage for it due to a tune that did not cause the problem... vs. the joy of ownership improvement over the next 5 years of having a properly calibrated speedo, better throttle response/drivability, better mileage and more power. I'm guesstimating the odds of the former being relatively low, or at least not high enough to keep the vehicle from working the way I want it to work.

Only time will tell if it's the wrong choice.

• Like 2

I can't say I'd blame you guys for being on the fence with how it can log flashes now but I will add I just flashed my 2011 back to stock because of the TPS issue happening and now the truck feels broken. :lol: Weak throttle response, sloppy shifts and AFM.

Yeah, I forgot to mention AFM. I'm of the belief that even if it is improved on these new engines, it still can't be good for longevity of the engine. I really believe they're trading engine life for 1 mpg. That may be a good trade for them (assuming most engines make it out of warranty) but not for you if you plan to own the vehicle much longer than that.

I don't have any data (nobody does yet) for these engines in this regard, but it's my money so I have to take my best guess.

Yeah you all make good valid points.. I just would love to feel the difference with it tuned up and what not. There's so many adjustments they can tweak it's crazy. And under normal dd it would be ideal I think.. But at the end of the day with this being a first year model and potentially having issues down the road I don't think it would be to smart to hack into it. Ugh lol. Guess the positive side is I still have my diesel. I may hold off on the tune and maybe down the road after some more research and development it'll make more sense. The last thing I need is to tune it and have an issue that'll make me come out of pocket for. Thanks for the responses so far it's helping me out I have no doubt the truck could handle the tune.. My main fear is future recalls or anything of the sort and having it tuned will void me qualifying for the fix. I don't think the possible 15-20 hp will be worth thousands of potential dollars out of pocket to fix something connected to the tune. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can run E85 and get a nice little bump in power.

The guy at the dyno shop verified with GM there are no flash counters in 2014 models. They will start in 2015.

Seriously doubt that GM went to the Global A system and didn't do flash counters. Probably just said that because otherwise might scare folks off.

• Like 1