2020 Silverado HD & Sierra HD Caught Testing Again

Zane

ChevyHD.LEDs.g01.KGP.ed.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

8/21/18

General Motors is putting the last and final touches on the next generation Silverado and Sierra HD. Our spy photographer just caught both the 2020 Silverado HD and the 2020 Sierra HD undergoing a development drive while towing camping trailers. 

Here's what our photographer Glenn Paulina has to say;

The LED signature of both the Chevy and GMC trucks are now very visible through the frontal camouflage, and we can see how the HD trucks’ LED treatments differ from the Silverado and Sierra 1500s.  

Silverado HD Stays Funky, But Not 1500 Funky
The Silverado 1500 gets a fairly radical LED treatment, with boomerang-shaped LED signatures serving as the headlight’s standout lighting feature.  The Silverado HDs also get an eye-catching LED signature, but one that significantly toned-down compared Silverado 1500.  The hood, grille, and headlights were teased in an official PR teaser shot, but the prototypes’ reveal more of the final treatment, and how the Silverado HD will announces itself when approaching at night.  We also get confirmation of the bold CHEVROLET lettering that runs the full width of the grille, as seen in the teaser shot—The “R” is clearly visible through a hole in the grille mesh.

GMC HD Stays Conservative—Closer To The Sierra 1500 LED Treatment
One prototype in the convoy was a Sierra 3500 HD test truck, and it, too, had the production headlight design finally installed.  The GMC HD’s LED signature remains more conservative than its Chevy counterpart.  The LED signature remains to be a simple arc outlining the outer edge of Sierra HD’s headlight—very similar to what we see on the Sierra 1500.

More secrets hide behind the camouflage, but one of the most important design features that define’s a vehicle’s personality—it’s headlight LED signature—is now nicely revealed.  We look forward to more uncovered secrets as GM’s HD trucks continue to rumble toward they’re official unveiling.

2020 Chevy Silverado HD / 2020 GMC Sierra HD Photos

ChevyHD.LEDs.g02.KGP.ed.jpg

ChevyHD.LEDs.g03.KGP.ed.jpg

ChevyHD.LEDs.g04.KGP.ed.jpg

ChevyHD.LEDs.g05.KGP.ed.jpg

ChevyHD.LEDs.g06.KGP.ed.jpg

ChevyHD.LEDs.g07.KGP.ed.jpg

ChevyHD.LEDs.g08.KGP.ed.jpg

ChevyHD.LEDs.g09.KGP.ed.jpg

ChevyHD.LEDs.g10.KGP.ed.jpg

ChevyHD.LEDs.g11.KGP.ed.jpg

ChevyHD.LEDs.g12.KGP.ed.jpg

ChevyHD.LEDs.g13.KGP.ed.jpg

GMC.HD.LEDs.g01.KGP.ed.jpg

GMC.HD.LEDs.g02.KGP.ed.jpg

GMC.HD.LEDs.g03.KGP.ed.jpg

GMC.HD.LEDs.g04.KGP.ed.jpg

GMC.HD.LEDs.g05.KGP.ed.jpg

GMC.HD.LEDs.g06.KGP.ed.jpg

Zane, did you notice the rear of the cab? Could they be possibly be hiding a Ram style Mega Cab behind that added on Camo? That would be a huge deal if they offered this!! Still cannot get over the new designs. I may end up keeping my 2018 Denali HD for a long time unless they really do stay more conservative with the GMCs. 

Well at least it appears they're keeping the 8 footer on the duallies.  Wonder what the weights of those trailers are, both trucks are pretty leveled out.

As far as the cab size Autoguy, it's hard to tell on the Chevy but the GMC looks normal.  The angles on the Chevy aren't the same as the GMC, but I'd guess they're the same cab type.  Who knows maybe they will cut into the bed length and put a few more inches into the cab like dodge/chrysler/fiat did.

Will be interesting to see these un-camoed.  Tow mirror is unwrapped though I think for the first time (just has swirly pattern no heavy camo).  I see some bottom feeding going on at the lower opening there for cooling/airflow.  At least its grilled unlike K2 HD. 

Waiting for the day they release component failure testing. I want to see how long the o2 sensors, alternator, water pump, MAF, injectors, throttle body, fuel pump, transmission, engine, differential, transfer case, driveshaft u-joints, etc., etc., are designed to last. You know, the IMPORTANT stuff.

That will be the day I buy one. :lol:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jsdirt said:

Waiting for the day they release component failure testing. I want to see how long the o2 sensors, alternator, water pump, MAF, injectors, throttle body, fuel pump, transmission, engine, differential, transfer case, driveshaft u-joints, etc., etc., are designed to last. You know, the IMPORTANT stuff.

That will be the day I buy one. :lol:

And egr, dpf failures on diesels.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, WilliamBos said:

Looks like they copied Ram with folding towing mirrors.

To me, they look like they will be power telescoping (finally) and that they will slide out instead of flipping up like the Rams.  So far, the design looks odd to me but that may be just me.

18 hours ago, PhantomSierra16 said:

To all the people whining about the towing mirrors as I currently am: Isn't possible that this is just a prototype, not the actual final design of the mirrors? I can only hope so, because this looks horrendous 

I am afraid the answer is no.

The 2019 1500 T1 production trucks have the mirrors mounted to the doors also.