I agree these tires are GARBAGE ,in cold weather for the first 5 to 10 miles my tires thump pretty good until they warm up and round themselves out somewhat,this was the norm for bias ply tires back in the 70's but I thought that the square tires for the first 5 to 10 miles in the morning was a thing of the past until I experienced these goodyear sra's.

When balancing wheels, all of the old weights should be pulled off. First the wheel should be spun on the balancer with the old weights still attached to see how much out of balance it is. I prefer stick on weights on the inside of the wheel for all types of alloy wheels. Regular hammer on weights can still be used on the inside of the rim. There should be only one weight (or a continuous strip of stick on weights) per each side of the wheel. Any decently made car/light truck wheel/tire when properly balanced should not require more than a 3 ounce weight on either side. Improper mounting of a wheel on the balcing machine can throw off balance by as much as 1 oz, which will definitely cuase vibration at speed. I have seen this with my own eyes on a Hunter 9700 model balancer. "Road force balancing" with an improperly mounted wheel is absolutely meaningless.

Edited by pm26

I didn't update the latest resolution to my shake/vibration, so here it is. As I had stated before I think the Goodyear tires GM uses are absolute crap. Goodyear obviously can make very good tires since they're the sole supplier to NASCAR and NHRA, but it is apparent to me their mass produced fleet lines such as those bought by GM are very inadequate.
I hated my 2014 Sierra All Terrain for the first 9 months of ownership and was ready to trade it in due to the horrible ride and multiple other issues and the constant recalls. The dealership had road force balanced my tires based on my first complaint about the vibrations and rough ride. It seemed to help by in no way resolved the issue completely. Soon after the ride got much worse, and constant. There were times it was so bad it felt like it could shake the fillings out of your teeth. I drove it like this for a while simply because I was tired of needing to go back to the dealer continually to address all the truck's issues. Finally I had enough and took it in. This time they determined it had a bad rear tire and even told me they should've replaced it the last time it was in, but GM's policy is to road force balance first and hope that resolves the issues rather than doing the right thing up front. My dealer told me they have had numerous complaints like this and have replaced numerous tires to fix them. So, it's clear GM corporate knows they have bad tires on their vehicles, but in their typical fashion they'll avoid fixing it correctly until their hands are forced. Many people probably just accept the fact that it's a truck and rides horribly. I however know better, and will not accept the crap GM tries to pull on its customers.
The truck certainly doesn't ride super smooth and based on what I've read that likely has to do with the stiffness of the current version of the Z71 package. But, by having the tire replaced it made a big difference. Now I at least don't get mad every time I drive the thing.
I certainly miss my AMG Mercedes and the level of service I would receive at a MB dealership. They never tried to do the cheap fix on anything. They'd replace entire systems without question in order to make sure it was done right the first time. GM on the other hand seemingly will avoid financial responsibility and do whatever they can to not incur costs until you lean on them hard enough.

I would think GM has grounds for a suit against Goodyear for providing them with so many bad tires, but we as consumers of their vehicles should not be punished for GM's bad decision to use inferior tire products.

My advice to any of you who are dealing with the shaking/vibration issues which seem to get worse in certain situations, and remain inconsistent is simply this --- take it to the dealer and demand they replace the faulty tire(s). It seems to be the most common resolution to the vibration issues and can be readily fixed in a short time. Don't take "no" for an answer.

• Like 1

You know.. It's strange how I've gone to a Chevy and GMC dealership that are right next to each other (owned by sepearate companies) and when I asked the service advisors regarding issues with the new 2014 Silverado/Sierra, they both have said aside from the recalls, they see very few issues with them thus far. When asked about the "shake/vibration" issues, both looked at me with a "what are you talking about?" type of look and said they have yet to see one come in for issues described as that save for an ocasional out of balance issue that is usually a result of the owner hitting a curb or something. Thus far we have 254 pages on this topic, and I am guessing maybe 200 if even that many people have said they have the shake/vibe issue on this forum alone. Since most folks will take to the internet to do a search on a issue and this topic would certainly be at the top of the search engine results, I think if this was a wide spread problem like a few on here seem to think it is, we'd be seeing a lot more activity here. The issue is not happening to every 2014 GM truck like some think it is and act as though it is. I'm no statistic person, but I truely wonder just how many people have this issue, out of all the 2014 Sierras and Silverados that have been sold.

You know.. It's strange how I've gone to a Chevy and GMC dealership that are right next to each other (owned by sepearate companies) and when I asked the service advisors regarding issues with the new 2014 Silverado/Sierra, they both have said aside from the recalls, they see very few issues with them thus far. When asked about the "shake/vibration" issues, both looked at me with a "what are you talking about?" type of look and said they have yet to see one come in for issues described as that save for an ocasional out of balance issue that is usually a result of the owner hitting a curb or something. Thus far we have 254 pages on this topic, and I am guessing maybe 200 if even that many people have said they have the shake/vibe issue on this forum alone. Since most folks will take to the internet to do a search on a issue and this topic would certainly be at the top of the search engine results, I think if this was a wide spread problem like a few on here seem to think it is, we'd be seeing a lot more activity here. The issue is not happening to every 2014 GM truck like some think it is and act as though it is. I'm no statistic person, but I truely wonder just how many people have this issue, out of all the 2014 Sierras and Silverados that have been sold.

So what is your advice for those who are serious about buying a new GM truck? Cross their fingers and hope that for $ 45k they will get a good truck that does not vibrate?

Colossus:

I don't know anything about you, but from what you are saying here about believing what the dealerships is telling you, you must still believe in the “Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus” because the problem is real. I have been through the BBB arbitration process with a GM factory field serves engineer and GM regional manager setting in on the hearing, only to be turned down on the lemon law because I’m self-employed and using my truck for business but that’s a whole another story. But the arbitration processes the question come up about the 2014/2015 trucks having vibration issue and the GM factory field serves engineer spoke up and said that he covers 3 states and all the trucks he has been called in on, all have vibrations and that GM is aware of the problem but are only trying to fix the one’s that customers are not happy with and keep bugging the dealerships about the problem.

:smash:

Colossus:

I don't know anything about you, but from what you are saying here about believing what the dealerships is telling you, you must still believe in the “Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus” because the problem is real. I have been through the BBB arbitration process with a GM factory field serves engineer and GM regional manager setting in on the hearing, only to be turned down on the lemon law because I’m self-employed and using my truck for business but that’s a whole another story. But the arbitration processes the question come up about the 2014/2015 trucks having vibration issue and the GM factory field serves engineer spoke up and said that he covers 3 states and all the trucks he has been called in on, all have vibrations and that GM is aware of the problem but are only trying to fix the one’s that customers are not happy with and keep bugging the dealerships about the problem.

:smash:P.S. just because they are not listed on the site don't mean they don't have a problem, I didn't buy my truck off the internet I bought it form a dealership and I started their first. I owned my truck 6 months before I found this site and posted on it so I know there are a whole lot more owners out there with the same problem that are not on this site.

Colossus:

:smash:P.S. just because they are not listed on the site don't mean they don't have a problem, I didn't buy my truck off the internet I bought it form a dealership and I started their first. I owned my truck 6 months before I found this site and posted on it so I know there are a whole lot more owners out there with the same problem that are not on this site.

well since GM itself only claims 80% customer dissatisfaction, that means 20% of truck buyers (1 out of 5) are not satisfied with their trucks and since the most reported problem complaints about their truck are vibration issues you can do the math. this is based on GM stats which undoubtedly are scued to make GM look better so what the "real" numbers or you just have to guess.

of the three local dealers near me one has 17 trucks with bad vibrations that they cant sell, another has 23, and the third has 12 and just shipped 7 vibrating trucks to a dealership in another city. I know this because my friend is a mechanic at the last dealership and he also said they are instructed to lie and claim they know nothing about these problems when in fact 6 out of 7 trucks they get in right now are all for vibration issues and the service depts. are so filled with them its a refreshing "surprise" when the finally get trucks in for regular repairs.

because of word of mouth spreading and great websites like this reporting what people need to check before buying, people are avoiding these vibrators and so only the few good trucks they manage to find on the lots get sold while the lot fills up with these vibrators waiting for unsuspecting, uninformed buyers to buy them. the salesmen are instructed to do anything they can (turn up radios, endlessly distract and chatter about stuff) and are told "point blank", if they want to sell trucks they better stay on city streets and under 40 mph if at all possible so customers cant notice the issue before buying.

you sir are living in a fantasy world if you think these trucks don't have widespread common vibration problems with 1 out of every 5 trucks and lately its more like 2 out of 3 trucks left on the lot because of the above explained situation of only the good ones are selling.

then again, maybe you are just a GM rep trying to do some sort of damage control

Edited by keakar
  • Like 2

My advice to any of you who are dealing with the shaking/vibration issues which seem to get worse in certain situations, and remain inconsistent is simply this --- take it to the dealer and demand they replace the faulty tire(s). It seems to be the most common resolution to the vibration issues and can be readily fixed in a short time. Don't take "no" for an answer.

I applaud your optimisism however, If it was this simple we wouldn't be having most of these discussions. Plenty of guys in this thread have had multiple sets of tires installed and it didn't solve their vibration. Some like myself installed michelins which are arguably the best tires on the market and it didn't solve the vibration. Tires may have cured the vibration in your truck but it's not the cure for the majority of these trucks. To think otherwise is just plain wrong.
  • Like 1

You know.. It's strange how I've gone to a Chevy and GMC dealership that are right next to each other (owned by sepearate companies) and when I asked the service advisors regarding issues with the new 2014 Silverado/Sierra, they both have said aside from the recalls, they see very few issues with them thus far. When asked about the "shake/vibration" issues, both looked at me with a "what are you talking about?" type of look and said they have yet to see one come in for issues described as that save for an ocasional out of balance issue that is usually a result of the owner hitting a curb or something. The issue is not happening to every 2014 GM truck like some think it is and act as though it is

And they will sell you ocean front property in Arizona, what did you expect them to tell you?

Nobody is claiming that all 2014 GM trucks have vibrations and shakes. Where did you read this?

Edited by 14LTZZ71

I applaud your optimisism however, If it was this simple we wouldn't be having most of these discussions. Plenty of guys in this thread have had multiple sets of tires installed and it didn't solve their vibration. Some like myself installed michelins which are arguably the best tires on the market and it didn't solve the vibration. Tires may have cured the vibration in your truck but it's not the cure for the majority of these trucks. To think otherwise is just plain wrong.

I in no way think the tire replacement will fix all the problems. I'm simply encouraging people to push that particular issue first as it's the most obvious and simplest fix (when it works), yet GM will not voluntarily replace tires until at least one or two road force balancing services. I had to insist to my dealer that I would not take the truck home until they either replaced the tires or resolved the issue, regardless of how long it took. I was fortunate that they determined I had one tire that completely trashed, and for the most part it fixed my issue. However, I still think the truck rides worse than previous year GM trucks, and any of their current competitors.

It is very clear these new platform trucks are plagued with problems and design flaws. If I had to do it all over again I would've never bought this truck, and I made the rookie mistake of buying a new model year platform before it had been real-world tested. Most of us who bought our 2014's in 2013 have suffered from this mistake. I even noticed both of my loaner trucks had an annoying vibration when driving them. They were both 2WD and my truck is 4WD, so the problem isn't specific to a particular drivetrain.

GM has a major problem with this new platform but chose to release it anyway, and now many of us are victims of their decision. What's worse is that no-one in their technical services seems to have been able to define the exact issue(s) to develop a proper resolution. Or, they may know what's wrong but choose not to fix it because of the major costs involved, and therefore they'll only address the most persistent customers in a case by case basis. Welcome to the new GM...

• Like 1

Hello all,

I have had my 14 sierra cc sb 5.3 z71 for a few months now and have noticed the bad vibrations everyone else has mentioned.

First trip to dealer was a few days ago and the service tech drove the truck and said it was definately vibrating and they needed to road force test tires. Today they did the test found one tire not to spec. Called and said it was good to go.

Now so you know, my problem usually occurs under power and between 75-80+. So i took it for a spin and the shakes were still there. Returned truck and took tech for a ride with the cruise set at 82 and he looked worried it was vibrating so bad. Tokd me to leave it for a few days and they were going to call gm for advice.

Very disappointed knowing this truck and many others are having the same problem across the nation. I am really contemplating getting rid of it due to this issue and all the customers having the same problems with no fixes

Tyler

NC