I'm kind of late to the party here but I have the vibration issue with my 2014 Regular cab 2WD Z71 with the 5.3 so I came here to see if anyone else was having the same problem. I bought the truck in May 2014 and just turned 10,000 miles and the vibration seems to be getting worse over time.

I have had the wheels balanced and rotated twice thinking that was the problem (both times all 4 tires were out of balance) but the vibration didn't go away. I didn't make it through all 350+ pages in this thread but from what I saw, there is no fix for the problem. I just don't have the time or energy to fight GM on this one. I applaud those that are and I hope you get a good resolution.

This is such a disappointment. I really like the GM trucks better than the other two but I'm not going to waste my time trying to get it fixed at this point since there isn't a realistic fix anyway.

I've only had my truck a year but I think I will live with the problem for another year and then move on to Ram or Ford.

Laura

Be aware of Ford, they are now having reports of Vibrations AND paint issues on their aluminum bodies, then again, Ram has always had issues with their paint & body work. Vehicles are always a losing battle for the consumers, each one has its flaws, its just a matter of which one has the lesser of the evil flaws, and in my opinion, right now its Ram

So I was at a local county fair this weekend and they had a Ram Laramie 1500 in western brown. Absolutely gorgeous truck. Sat inside behind the wheel and instantly fell in love. Did notice on the corners of the seats it looks like they didn't put enough cushion so the leather wasn't nice and tight, more like it was broken down. Other than that I love the color of the truck and how it felt. I've never actually driven a Ram but my buddies 2012 is pretty nice for an SLT with the 6 speed. This truck had the 8 speed, 3.92 gears, basically fully loaded. Only downside was it had the same bed as my current truck. Hasn't given me issues yet but I'd love to have a small toolbox in the back

What I'm saying is, if my dealer can't get these vibrations taken care of or they tell me "operating as designed" I'll probably offload it. Don't wanna spend the next 10 years of my life in something that's gonna cause me to focus on it everytime I get to 75+

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Edited by rdnckhntr94
  • Like 2

I agree on all accounts and very glad I abandoned ship and bought my Ram . What a great Truck !

I still think Chevy/Gmc has the best looking truck out there , it's just to bad they can't back up the looks . Although after one of many Vibrationless rides in my Ram when I exit the vehicle and glance back I can't help but smile and think how sexy it looks lol .

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by TheFactor
  • Like 2

I agree on all accounts and very glad I abandoned ship and bought my Ram . What a great Truck !

I still think Chevy/Gmc has the best looking truck out there , it's just to bad they can't back up the looks . Although after one of many Vibrationless rides in my Ram when I exit the vehicle and glance back I can't help but smile and think how sexy it looks lol .

I gotta say, I do like the look of the truck, but I'm not a huge fan of the front fascia, and how it it angled forward, The Chevy does have a better look, but the Ram doesn't vibrate, so there is that

I gotta say, I do like the look of the truck, but I'm not a huge fan of the front fascia, and how it it angled forward, The Chevy does have a better look, but the Ram doesn't vibrate, so there is that

For sure as it's just a matter of taste . Before the new 2014 and up Chevy/Gmc new front ends I always liked the Ram styling and really do now lol . I do like the body lines on the rear end and sides better on the Ram to they flow better . I could be partial though kind of like a proud parent :)

For sure as it's just a matter of taste . Before the new 2014 and up Chevy/Gmc new front ends I always liked the Ram styling and really do now lol . I do like the body lines on the rear end and sides better on the Ram to they flow better . I could be partial though kind of like a proud parent :)

I'll give you that one.... they definitely do

• Like 1

well after another 2 weeks at the dealer it is fixed again...

couple of items.

1. tires needed anohter RF balance... they now have less than 6 lbs of road force (I believe that is the correct term).

2. Topper

so on the tires which I think are the bane of all the issues they had a vibration the pico device told them it was the tires... they did the rears as that is where the problem was from... then no change... couple days later they break down and do the front.... Pico says tires this time but within spec. My dealer who is absolutly top notch says I don't want to give it back to you less than perfect so I would like to take off the topper and try it...

I say okay by me it isn't part of the manufactured truck so sure... he takes it off, calls me up and says it rides nicer than any other truck he has driven come out and give it a whirl... It is as smooth as anything up to the speed limiter... it is amazing...

2. put the topper back on... 77 it starts to vibrate not bad but you can feel it.. so I open all the windows in the topper... vibration gone.. I close all the windows in the toppper... vibration gone... open just the window between the cab and the topper ... vibration back...

So I can say with certianty that mine is fixed until the tires act up again... hopefully they will wear out fast and I will move to Michelins...

The Pico he had recieved all NEW software for vibration detection so they are actually working twards a solution and I for one am happy that my dealer was persistant...

Now I have to go write up another thank you letter to them.

To those who went to Ram or Ford good luck, I hope you don't have any issues with those trucks either. But I refuse to give up my 6.2 with 3.73's for a turbo V6... or a 5.7L ...

Edited by curver900
  • Like 1

New Chevy owner (2015 Chevy LT Crew, 5.3L V8) - just picked up truck from dealer yesterday. Test ride went ok, didn't notice any vibration. Felt a bit of a vibration at 35-40mph, thought maybe its the wheel balance.. then I find this thread. Oh boy.. I thought I was moving away from Ford to a more reliable design that's been proven. Did not expect this.

I've read a bit of the thread (but not all 356 pages!!)

Is there a summary of what to do? I've seen tires, driveshaft balance, pinion angle, tie rods, rear end.. etc listed as being root cause but is there a summary of what the fixes are? Does it depend on the truck?

The vibration is not that bad and I can feather the gas to help it. It actually drives great at highway speeds. Love the truck otherwise. A question for the community: should I live with a slight vibration or do I bring back to the dealer to fix? Will they make it worse? Should I wait until GM figures it out?

If I do have a problem down the road, I want to make sure that I've documented the fact that I'm having the same issue. That's one argument for taking it to the dealer.

Active Fuel Management... it is what it is... I have drivin 4 GM trucks while they work on mine and the 5.3 is the only one i notice it in... our 2010 Avalanche has it but it doesn't do it... my guess is the new 6 speed tranny is to blame ... to low a gear for the AFM...

Active Fuel Management... it is what it is... I have drivin 4 GM trucks while they work on mine and the 5.3 is the only one i notice it in... our 2010 Avalanche has it but it doesn't do it... my guess is the new 6 speed tranny is to blame ... to low a gear for the AFM...

My dad's 09 has the same exact six speed as my truck

I'm kind of late to the party here but I have the vibration issue with my 2014 Regular cab 2WD Z71 with the 5.3 so I came here to see if anyone else was having the same problem. I bought the truck in May 2014 and just turned 10,000 miles and the vibration seems to be getting worse over time.

I have had the wheels balanced and rotated twice thinking that was the problem (both times all 4 tires were out of balance) but the vibration didn't go away. I didn't make it through all 350+ pages in this thread but from what I saw, there is no fix for the problem. I just don't have the time or energy to fight GM on this one. I applaud those that are and I hope you get a good resolution.

This is such a disappointment. I really like the GM trucks better than the other two but I'm not going to waste my time trying to get it fixed at this point since there isn't a realistic fix anyway.

I've only had my truck a year but I think I will live with the problem for another year and then move on to Ram or Ford.

Laura

balanced or Road Forced balanced? they need to be RF balanced the spec is less than 15 but best if less than 10

okay, but did the programming change in that time period?

Programming is different from the actual transmission. The gearing is the same between the two but I'm sure the shift points, line pressures, etc. changed a little bit

Programming is different from the actual transmission. The gearing is the same between the two but I'm sure the shift points, line pressures, etc. changed a little bit

you would think that they would put it back to where it was, after all less than .001% better fuel economy is not worth the AFM vibration at lower speeds.. the 6cyl I drove didn't do it and my 6.2 doesn't but I know when I driving a 5.3... heck i should apply for a job as a vehicle tester... probably fire me though after telling them what is wrong.. and what folks won't like ;.)

Well, after ten days with my Ram, here's my opinion of both trucks.

Things I liked about the Silverado:

1. smooth engine, even accelleration, power at low RPM

2. good trans

3. good mileage with the 5.3 (22 combined)

Things I like about the Ram:

1. superior quality interior

2. very smooth ride even with the factory 22" wheels

3. did I mention the smooth ride

4. what a smooth ride

5. port injection so I don't have to think about how much carbon is accumulating on the valves like the direct injection Chevy

6. superior electronics

7. much bigger bang for the buck options and standard equipment wise

• Like 1

Well, after ten days with my Ram, here's my opinion of both trucks.

Things I liked about the Silverado:

1. smooth engine, even accelleration, power at low RPM

2. good trans

3. good mileage with the 5.3 (22 combined)

Things I like about the Ram:

1. superior quality interior

2. very smooth ride even with the factory 22" wheels

3. did I mention the smooth ride

4. what a smooth ride

5. port injection so I don't have to think about how much carbon is accumulating on the valves like the direct injection Chevy

6. superior electronics

7. much bigger bang for the buck options and standard equipment wise

That's great so you are off to the Fiat forum then... Thanks for the update