Seat Movement Issues

Went to Lyons in Lewisburg Tn today, tech removed lift motor and bracket said holes were oversized causing looseness, installed nylon bushings from who knows where and as of trip to home and into work about 60 miles total no clunk or shift or whatever way you want to describe it. Will update post after long trip over the holidays or before if it returns but for now appears fixed.

• Like 2

I added washers to the sides of the motor, but not bushings to deal with an oversized hole. I didn't notice too much of an oversized hole on the motor bracket on mine, so maybe this just shows terrible quality control. Was this the front or rear lift motor for the seat bottom.

JD just going by the techs description said the long arms going to the back needed bushings and the motor washers so not sure which one he said lifting motor is all I know. Could have been just washers in all places not actual bushings. If it loosens up again I will see whats there.

Edited by dkeven

Went to Lyons in Lewisburg Tn today, tech removed lift motor and bracket said holes were oversized causing looseness, installed nylon bushings from who knows where and as of trip to home and into work about 60 miles total no clunk or shift or whatever way you want to describe it. Will update post after long trip over the holidays or before if it returns but for now appears fixed.

JD just going by the techs description said the long arms going to the back needed bushings and the motor washers so not sure which one he said lifting motor is all I know. Could have been just washers in all places not actual bushings. If it loosens up again I will see whats there.

As of today 200 miles since this fix, no clunk,shift or slop apparent in my seat. Hesitate to call it cured at this early date but its definately gone, will be fixing myself if it returns unless parts fubared. IMHO this is a quality issue with seat mfg who is not GM maybe Johnson Controls? But appears its fixable and replacement will just delay its re-occurance unless redesign or tighter tolerance spec.

I too am having problems with my 2014 Sierra, for 50K you would think this would be a better built truck!! Has a long term fix been found? I want the dealer to take they truck back and give me a Ford!! My 2011 Platinum did not have these problems!!

All new model = All new minor problems not caught in testing.

I also have these seat issues. It's part of buying a redesigned sub-$60k mass produced vehicle (and often occurs regardless of brand). Just got to be patient or next time buy a more aged design.

FYI- Your 2011 Ford's design originally debuted in the 2009 models, so they had 2 yrs before you purchased to work out issues.

• Like 1

Having the same issue and it seems to be getting worse.. Truck is only 3 weeks old and it's very annoying. I really hope gm comes up with a fix soon and stop telling people there's nothing they can do for someone who just forked over $50,000+.. Having a sturdy seat is critical... C'mon GM....

I have started to run some "tests" on the seat a coupld of days at a time to see if I can isolate the issue. SO far it seems that the main culprit related to seat movement is the vetical height adjuster on the rear of the seat bottom. If one grabs the rear of the bottom seat cushion (by sliding you hand between the bottom and the back and grabbing the frame bar) you can wiggle the seat and see the slack. I have found that if you are in the highest or lowest position for the rear of the bottom seat cushion that the slack goes away entirely. It makes sense when you look down at how the adjuster is setup. When in the highest and lowest seat positions the adjust bracket/bushing (part not attached to the motor) and the motor housing or screw (depending if you are at high or low setpoint) are tight up against one another removing any and all slack from the seat.

There is a blue bushing that also serves as the threaded portion of the adjuster bracket (part not ttached to motor) that seems it is made of plastic and wiggles around quite a bit when the seat isnt in the highest or lowest seat position. Seems it may be time to have some people try riding in the highest or lowest positon to see if this theory holds water (the more people we get to do it, the greater the sample size we can get quickly).

I also tried shimming the track pieces to remove any slack,but that doesnt seem to do it.

My seat does the same thing, I thought there was a can rolling around under the seat at first. I looked underneath and nothing. I did notice the seat has a bit of play in it and it is annoying but not as bad as the vibration issues I get on a perfectly smooth road. Wish I never bought this thing would love a dealer buyback to go to an older 2013 leftover or a Tahoe. GM please buy this. LOL

As expected I'm at the dealership right now and they can't find anything.. They said the only bulletins they have are for manual seats and not powered ones like mine. Hoping a permanent solution is found on this forum so I have some ammo for next visit..