In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
jdvaughn

Seat Movement Issues

I had my truck into the dealership a few weeks ago for seat movement issues and it seems they added two small clips to fasten the seat cushion to the frame. At first it seemed it may be better (I think it was psychological), but I now have movement in the seat again. I see the clips are still there, but I get seat movement (lateral and forwards/backwards, not up and down) in turns and braking. It definitely feels like the bracket to me as the movement is small but sudden and clunks, not smooth like the cushion is sliding. Every time I get in the seat clicks/clunks a little in a manner that makes it seem as if it is taking up the slack in the bracket bushings or pivot points.

Anyone who has had the actual seat bracket replaced have any better luck fixing the issue?

is it the same bracket without a fix to address the slop in the bracket?

This is ridiculous to have this happen on such an expensive vehicle. I know it is a new model blah blah blah, but things like this fall under the basic fundamentals. Figure out how to make a seat!!! Venting over....Thanks for the help and otherwise I love the truck so far, but get frustrated over such elementary things going wrong.

Edited by MotoMedic
Added Topic Tags

whatever... I'm sure 2013 Chevy was perfect and had no issue. I'm sure your 1996 Ford is also perfect and never had any issues ...

The truth is that every car/truck, every year has it's issues. The 2014 has no more issues than any other year.

• Like 4

My seat was doing the EXACT same thing and then I noticed I had it set very high. Once I lowered the seat a bit the "clicking" when turning corners went away. I guess these seats are just not very stable when raised up very high. Kind of like a scissor jack that is more stable when lowered I assume.

• Like 1

My seat was doing the EXACT same thing and then I noticed I had it set very high. Once I lowered the seat a bit the "clicking" when turning corners went away. I guess these seats are just not very stable when raised up very high. Kind of like a scissor jack that is more stable when lowered I assume.

My seat has been doing the same thing as the OP's. Just started doing it about 100 miles ago (650 miles on the truck now). I'll try this and sees what happens.

Edited by 4X4Sierra5.3

4X4Sierra5.3,

Hello! I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle regarding the seat moving. I am more than happy to look into this concern for you. Could you private message me referencing this thread and include your contact information, VIN, exact mileage, and preferred dealership?

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

• Like 2

4X4Sierra5.3,

Hello! I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle regarding the seat moving. I am more than happy to look into this concern for you. Could you private message me referencing this thread and include your contact information, VIN, exact mileage, and preferred dealership?

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

Hi Jennifer, My 2014 is doing the same thing with the seat movement.... Alos experiencing a noise froim the rear of the truck every morning when cool. Sounds like rapid bumping noise. Not sure if coming from the rear gears or is the locking differential. Dealer does not know what it is. They removed the drive shaft and lubed, but did not fix the noise. When the vehicle is driven and warm, there is no more noise. Thanks, Pete

Same here..... Mine started as a slight movement and is getting worse. But I have not had time to get in touch with my dealer.

Hi Jennifer, My 2014 is doing the same thing with the seat movement.... Alos experiencing a noise froim the rear of the truck every morning when cool. Sounds like rapid bumping noise. Not sure if coming from the rear gears or is the locking differential. Dealer does not know what it is. They removed the drive shaft and lubed, but did not fix the noise. When the vehicle is driven and warm, there is no more noise. Thanks, Pete

Could be brakes or a flat spot on the tires from sitting overnight. What tires do you have? The Goodyear Eagle's?

Hi CiceroChevy,

I'm sorry to hear about the movement issue you are experiencing with your seats. We would like to assist you further by looking into your case with the dealer. Could you please private message us your name, address, phone number, VIN and dealership you used?

Toddfather,

I know you mentioned you haven't had time to take it to the dealer. Would you like us to assist in setting up an appointment for you to take your vehicle in? Please message us your name, address, phone number, VIN, and preferred dealership.

We look forward to your reply.

Jonathan A. (Assisting Jennifer)

GM Customer Service

Amazing they didn't notice this during the millions of miles of testing they claimed.

• Like 1

Like anything new, there will be issues. Seems like a minor fix, hopefully this is the end of the recalls. No bueno.... I'm sure they will get it resolved. Bad press and recalls does affect their bottom line. I'm willing to buy right now, but after seeing this recall, I'm going to sit tight, even though I have a private offer expiring at the end of this month. GM will have to increase the private offer for me to consider at this point.

Hope everyone that bought these trucks can get their problem fixed soon!

• Like 1

Like anything new, there will be issues. Seems like a minor fix, hopefully this is the end of the recalls. No bueno.... I'm sure they will get it resolved. Bad press and recalls does affect their bottom line. I'm willing to buy right now, but after seeing this recall, I'm going to sit tight, even though I have a private offer expiring at the end of this month. GM will have to increase the private offer for me to consider at this point.

Hope everyone that bought these trucks can get their problem fixed soon!

Really? That's a new thought process. :dunno:

It said only seats with manual seat backs.....hummm

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 8cyloffury
      I recently purchased a used 2018 Yukon Denali (4x4) w/ 43k miles. I have noticed a sound/sensation combination since shortly after taking possession of it. It is a slight "clunk" that reverberates through the seat and I both hear and feel it. 

It FEELS like my seat track is moving 1/32" or 1/64" forwards or backwards each time I come to a stop or accelerate. It does not appear to be a lateral (side to side movement) as I do not notice it in turns. 

I took it into the dealer and they installed some type of retaining clip that appears to be attached to the underside of the seat. I believe this is the GM version of the "hose-clamp" fix but it has not alleviated the problem at all. (And as I said, I did not notice any lateral movement before or after this was done ). 

I was able to minimize the sensation by immobilizing one of the seat motors (which had some play in it) using a zip tie. The sensation of movement (or clunking) on the right side of the seat (closest to the center console)has gone away but the left side click/clunk seems to remain. I cannot find any lost parts or components under the seat though if I grab the seat as a whole and try to move it forwards and backwards on its track there is SLIGHT play and a similar sound (though it's quieter). 

I tried to do the same thing with the passenger seat (also powered and heated/ventilated) but it has no play/slop/movement at all and I have sat in it while driving and have not felt it at all. 

I have addressed the issue with the dealer but they seem to just be guessing at this point and although I have an extended warranty (the vehicle has 43k miles on it) it is a pain to use and it causes me to be without a vehicle for a day at a time usually. 

I have searched and searched online  and cannot seem to find mention of this specific issue except on the previous generation Tahoe/Yukons and those instances seem to involve much greater amounts of seat movement (1/4"-1/2"). 

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to fix this issue? Perhaps a shim or a retention screw tightening, or any bulletin or other known issue that could help me ID exactly what's going on? (I've driven other similar vehicles of similar age and have never noticed this problem before and if I don't have to live with it I'd rather not especially while I have SOME kind of warranty in place). 

Any help would be much appreciated. 
      Thank you in advance. 

• By Frank2015_1990
      Hello,
      New here. I just got a used 2015 Yukon SLT and cannot get both the left and right seat haptic motors to come on at all. I did some checking and disconnected both the left and right motors and applied 12V to them and heard each of them go off just fine. However when i go into the intellilink menu, under vehicle settings, there is no option for me to change the alert type from beep to vibrate. Is this a software update of some kind? I can not find any information about this anywhere.
    • By YukonJohn
      The rattle we had was coming from headliner behind the passenger seat, and was typically worse at medium to highway speeds. It is noticeably louder with the sunroof cover slid back(open). My fix: Open rear passenger door and stand on running board to access the roof rack. If you wiggle the crossbar of the rack it has the slightest of slack, but just enough to make a clanking sound. I wedged some thin flexible magnet pieces(no the rack isn't magnetic, just what I had handy) in between the crossbar and the roof brace in front of and back of the bar(see pic). Viola...no noise. If these come loose I will come up with something more robust(maybe some two part epoxy).

I'm not familiar with the inside of the 2015-2019 Suburban, Tahoe, and regular Yukon's, but the ultra quiet cabin of the Denali amplifies ANY little rattle or strange noise. I was used to the road noise and rattles of my 2007 Suburban(288K). They went kind of hand in hand. This one will take some getting used to. I know, suck it up buttercup.

Now...back to the "other" issue... front end clank, clank, clank-clank after medium to hard braking, but occasionally during acceleration, and less occasionally steady speeds. No specific rhythm, almost like it's swinging in the wind, and then it suddenly stops after a few seconds. Please help if you know anything! I WILL fix this too! There is a video from another in a different thread on here that has the EXACT same issue/sound as mine.

• By Rauen
      Apologies if this is a common thread. I have a noise that is driving me insane, driving is not relaxing or enjoyable. 2019 4cyl turbo Silverado LT1500 Crew Cab, 4500 miles. The noise seems to be coming from the front left of the dash. It happens only when my foot is on the gas, and only when “cruising” around 1200-1500 rpm. It sounds like a cricket. It does fluctuate when when I hit lumps/bumps in the road, but is present either way. I can’t tell if it’s a fan squeaking or if its
      something rubbing that shakes the right way at that RPM. Highway driving - no noise due to higher RPM. It drives me nuts and I feel like I spend most of my drive time trying to pin point it instead of enjoying my new truck!
    • By jeffs42885
      Just actually stumbled across this page while browsing coloradofans. Jeff from Dallas Texas, 2018 Colorado 4x4 LT, basically Stock as it's my daily. Also have a 2018 Camaro ZL1. I need some help, before I start looking at all of your trucks, mods, other cool stuff..

(copied this from coloradofans.com, also from a few subs on reddit..)

Hi all, need some advice- Let me preface this with, I am not trying to get anyone in trouble nor an I trying to throw anyone under the bus. I just want my Colorado fixed. I appreciate anyones feedback as I explain the story.
      2018 Colorado LT, 4x4, 30k miles....

About three weeks ago, I had an appointment at my local Chevrolet dealer, which is a very large dealer in the Dallas/Fort-Worth metroplex. The truck has a very weird sounding, only can be described as an intermittent, yet ANNOYING and LOUD squeaking/rubbing sound coming from what sounds like the front of the truck. I showed up to my appointment, and the service advisor and I went for a ride, and he said that he could barely hear the sound, but I was able to hear it as clear as day. He also pointed out that he heard it when we accelerated, and when we braked. Nothing when we were coasting, not using the brakes, etc. He told me that I would have to leave it with him for a few days, or get there early on a Saturday for his guys to take it in. I didn't have the ability to do that at the time, so I told him I would reach back out in about a week or so.
      Fast forward a week - I was to be traveling so I was going to leave the truck prior to leaving the DFW airport. I ran some errands in the morning, and after getting the truck up to operating temperature, It is not making the sound, at all. Unfortunately I did not have the time to deal with this at the time so I went back to my house, and hopped a ride to the airport.

Once I got back, and started my routine I noticed that the noise is still back and I can still hear it as loud as day. I made an appointment for 8:15 AM on last Tuesday. I showed up at 7:30 and they got me checked in. We took it for a ride around the lot, and the service advisor heard the noise. He got me right in. the shuttle took me to work. About three hours later he called me and he said - and please bear with me, I am no mechanic and my terminology may be off - "There was a seal in the transfer casing that was rotted..we fixed it, blah blah..and now it is not making the noise, OH, and you need an oil change. Want that while you're here?".

Hopped an uber back to the dealer on my lunch and drove back to the office. Everything seemed fine. I got out of work around 5pm that day and went to the grocery store, sure enough, the noise is still there, and louder than ever. I am getting frustrated at this point. I reviewed the work order only to find out that it mentions nothing about fixing anything, only that the tech could not duplicate the issue I described.

At this point, I am very hesitant to go back to that dealership, so I reach out to some other local enthusiasts for a referral, and I make contact with someone who works at a dealership about 30minutes south of where I live. I was to stop by Saturday morning, and ask for his buddy the service advisor. No problem at all. I stopped in right on time, met with the advisor, we took it for a ride around the lot. Sure enough, there it is! The noise on the stop, and on the go! He heard it, I heard it. But he told me that they won't get to it until Monday because the suspension, front end guys, etc, won't be in. I say OK, Whatever it takes. I also say, hey since I am new to town and need my registration switched, can you guys please do a safety inspection? He says yeah no problem.

Another $35 uber back to my apartment.

Today I get a call. And now, I am being told that the noise I am hearing is the noise of air going into the engine, and it's louder because I have a K&N Blackwing Cold Air Intake system. Which makes absolutely zero sense, since the noise only happens on the stop and go, and it's also a grinding/rubbing/squeaking noise. However, at this point.. I am not arguing. Because I have a short temper and I really don't want to be mean right now. You catch more bees with honey than vinegar.  I just picked it up, and it's still making the same noise. The intake is not causing the issue.. and I don't have the stock one as I just moved here. 

I'm not a mechanic, but that's the stupidest **** I've ever heard. I have had intakes on all of my cars. There's one on my 2018 ZL1 camaro, no noises like that. I had them on my 2016 SS, 2015 C7, etc.. Never had any issues. The only COMMON issue here is that much like in the past like I've dealt with Pontiac back in 2009, the dealership is using any kind of excuse to not have to do any work at all. (Example - in 2010, broken ball joint on my 2009 g8 gt - they blamed it on my roto-fab engine covers hitting the hood, when in fact, it was a MAJOR TSB..)

So a couple of things.

1) Where in DFW can I go to get this fixed
      2) Should I even bother calling the GM customer care number.. because I am SERIOUSLY SICK OF "NO RENTALS BEING AVAILABLE" and having to pay for an uber. It's going to cost me $36 to get to the dealer tomorrow to pick the truck up.
      3) Any other advise.

Thanks in advance.