2014+ Engine & Transmission Tuning

I have had the intune (non i2) for about 2yrs now. My initial thought when I read your post was I dont think mine does that. But sure enough on my drive home today I purposely drove the slower steady speeds and paid attention and mine acted the same way. From about 25 to 35 it starts at about 1200 and climbs RPM up to about 1700 then shifts, does the same thing again from 35 to 45 before shifting, and again will do it from 45 to 55. It seemed to really want to hold the gear and the higher RPM if you kept the speed steady like you said. I usually dont drive the slower speeds, most always 55mph roads or 70mph freeway but I have not noticed any drop in mpg with the tune installed. And this is with testing the different tune combinations pretty well over the past 2 yrs. I've tested having AFM off for one month and I lost 1mpg so I keep it on. AFM seems to work flawless in my truck. I've settled on mostly using the diablo tune with firm shift and using E85. I agree with dirtymacus's post, the tune is probably made to hold the higher rpm for better power and throttle response. I've been pretty happy with it for a canned tune. These trucks can really get up and go!

Almost sounds like driving in trailer mode with my truck. I prefer the trans to hold the shift over up shifting to a higher or highest gear when not needed.

Is your truck a Flex Fuel truck?

Almost sounds like driving in trailer mode with my truck. I prefer the trans to hold the shift over up shifting to a higher or highest gear when not needed.

Is your truck a Flex Fuel truck?

Yes, my 2014 is flex fuel.

my intune i2 update: drove it some more today and finally it did shift to the higher gears on some roads, dropping rpms from around 1700 down to 1400. Still seems higher than stock (around 1100 to 1200 rpms) when in the highest gear. I also emailed Diablosport and they said the tuning should not change the shift patterns at all. They said give it some time with the tune, and then later return it back to stock for a few days, and see if I notice a difference.

It makes sense it will stay in the lower gear for more instant power/throttle response. I think I also noticed less clunking too from wherever my clunk comes from (transmission or rear end due to driveline slack) that my dealer says is normal.

Edited by stevev

my intune i2 update: drove it some more today and finally it did shift to the higher gears on some roads, dropping rpms from around 1700 down to 1400. Still seems higher than stock (around 1100 to 1200 rpms) when in the highest gear. I also emailed Diablosport and they said the tuning should not change the shift patterns at all. They said give it some time with the tune, and then later return it back to stock for a few days, and see if I notice a difference.

It makes sense it will stay in the lower gear for more instant power/throttle response. I think I also noticed less clunking too from wherever my clunk comes from (transmission or rear end due to driveline slack) that my dealer says is normal.

I don't understand why Diablosport would say it doesn't change shift pattern at all. Isn't that exactly what the TCM portion of the tune is supposed to do? Why else would we be picking between the firm or hard shift options. And why else would it be holding the gear longer? And I can say that my shifting is better than stock when choosing one of these options. That comment from them just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe someone else can explain.

• Like 1

I don't understand why Diablosport would say it doesn't change shift pattern at all. Isn't that exactly what the TCM portion of the tune is supposed to do? Why else would we be picking between the firm or hard shift options. And why else would it be holding the gear longer? And I can say that my shifting is better than stock when choosing one of these options. That comment from them just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe someone else can explain.

Mike L. is who emailed me back. He first said: "The shift pattern should not change at all, it should shift just like it did, especially at part throttle.'

Later he said: "Well, we cant change the gearing, so it should cruise at the same rpm, did you adjust the throttle boost? That may make it hold gears longer at part throttle."

I didn't adjust the throttle boost for my tune.

Mike L. is who emailed me back. He first said: "The shift pattern should not change at all, it should shift just like it did, especially at part throttle.'

Later he said: "Well, we cant change the gearing, so it should cruise at the same rpm, did you adjust the throttle boost? That may make it hold gears longer at part throttle."

I want to comment on this. I had I believe, a similar issue with my BB turn. I did NOT care for the engine to stay in a gear and have the rpms rise on what I call a partial throttle or easy start. I wanted the engine to shift according to the pedal pressure. Normal or easy start, shift sooner; full pedal higher engine rpm’s. Justin was able to adjust my tune to do just that I am very happy with it.

Sounds like you are trying to accomplish the same thing. Am I correct? If so have you try and relate it to them that way? Shift according to pedal pressure?

Mike L. is who emailed me back. He first said: "The shift pattern should not change at all, it should shift just like it did, especially at part throttle.'[/size]

Later he said: "Well, we cant change the gearing, so it should cruise at the same rpm, did you adjust the throttle boost? [/size]That may make it hold gears longer at part throttle."[/size]

If you talk to diablo they will tell you a certain amount of throttle boost is built into the canned tunes. If you want something different you will have to make the adjustments yourself or have a custom tune made for you

Edited by DirtyMarcus

I want to comment on this. I had I believe, a similar issue with my BB turn. I did NOT care for the engine to stay in a gear and have the rpms rise on what I call a partial throttle or easy start. I wanted the engine to shift according to the pedal pressure. Normal or easy start, shift sooner; full pedal higher engine rpm’s. Justin was able to adjust my tune to do just that I am very happy with it.

Sounds like you are trying to accomplish the same thing. Am I correct? If so have you try and relate it to them that way? Shift according to pedal pressure?

Just wondering...what happens when you take your foot off the pedal? (no pressure)

Does the trans downshift, stay in the same gear or downshift as the truck slows down on it's own?

I've used several different caned tunes on different vehicles through the years. Throttle position and shifts points where the same as stock. Shift firmness and full throttle shift points where changed if desired.

Just wondering...what happens when you take your foot off the pedal? (no pressure)

Does the trans downshift, stay in the same gear or downshift as the truck slows down on it's own?

Well if grade braking is on I may feel more of a clunk when the trans downshifts because that is how grade braking works. I really didn't notice much difference when lifting the pedal between the tunes.

My trans NOW with the way I describe how Justin adjusted the tune will shift more like my trans in my 96 Corvette. I think 4L6E. Heck on a slow take off my Vett will shift to 2nd within 20 feet. Stomp on the gas pedal and she'll scream before she shifts... Thats the way I like it.

final thoughts for now: I do like the canned tune and shifting is somewhat back to normal.. It still holds the lower gear (higher rpms) on some roads. Which is fine though as it has greatly reduced the clunking my truck had. Before it would lug along in the high gear and then clunk and downshift It would clunk along the same sections of road during my daily commute, now it doesn't.

I previously had a Hypertech tune on my truck and didn't notice this shift change like the Diablosport. But I also didn't notice as much performance gain compared to the Diablosport.

I went with black bear because lew did not offer e85 tune and that's what I run 95 percent of the time. Black bear said he did not have any issue with e85 tuning. Did not even consider canned tune.

My background drove evo9 for almost 10 years using e85 the last 6. Did Plenty of remote flashing with bigger injectors and evo scan plus ecu flash. Tried using that on truck with no luck. My only concern with disablew or bb was how do they fully tune AFR without a wide band scan? I guess I will find out once my auto cal arrives.

Edited by Keathlim

I went with black bear because lew did not offer e85 tune and that's what I run 95 percent of the time. Black bear said he did not have any issue with e85 tuning. Did not even consider canned tune.

My background drove evo9 for almost 10 years using e85 the last 6. Did Plenty of remote flashing with bigger injectors and evo scan plus ecu flash. Tried using that on truck with no luck. My only concern with disablew or bb was how do they fully tune AFR without a wide band scan? I guess I will find out once my auto cal arrives.

So is your truck Flex Fuel?

I'm entertaining the idea of running E85 however, my truck is NOT Flex Fuel, but Justin mentioned he could do a tune for it.

I've asked him some other questions before I decide to go that route...like would it be tuned for 100% E85 or would I be able to mix with 93?

Still waiting for a reply.

Keep us posted on your E85 tune!

I know my evo9 was not flex fuel and had to upgrade injecters and adjust tune to get scaling and afr correct for e85. E85 is like steroids on evos and for silverado i have only noticed minor gain so far witout a tune.

For the silverado since mine is flex fuel i believe it adjust the afr for e85. For non flex truck, i would strongly recommend tune for it. I am new to silverado so i don not know if your afr will automatically adjust to e85 without a tune. I wont gamble with that unless i knew for sure.

I know my evo9 was not flex fuel and had to upgrade injecters and adjust tune to get scaling and afr correct for e85. E85 is like steroids on evos and for silverado i have only noticed minor gain so far witout a tune.

For the silverado since mine is flex fuel i believe it adjust the afr for e85. For non flex truck, i would strongly recommend tune for it. I am new to silverado so i don not know if your afr will automatically adjust to e85 without a tune. I wont gamble with that unless i knew for sure.

Oh yeah...I hear you here, no gambling on a non-E85 without a tune. I'm just waiting on Black Bear Performance to get back to me on a few questions I asked them before going with a tune. I know they will do it, as Justin said he could, but I wanted to know more about my current tune.

I just thought your truck was NOT a Flex Fuel since you mentioned you went with BBP for a tune.

Thanks for the info!

Edited by RDKILL