2014+ Engine & Transmission Tuning

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought my BBP tune yesterday and will be submitting the files today.

Are you guys shut down for Christmas? Can't wait.

If anyone is interested:

I received my tune file yesterday for my BBP tune from Justin.

Loaded the tune in under 5 minutes, took her out driving around and she's a brand new beast.

If you're complaining about the shifting/clunkiness then I can't help but recommend this/a tune. Cleans up the shifts and timing, and it's finally driving the way she's supposed to! No vibrations at any speed, no clunk into gear in 1-2 or 2-3, def can feel the power of the 5.3L. I'm running 87 octane from a company gas card - I will be putting in 89 octane at the first of the year for better mileage/response/no engine knock.

Overall rating: 9/10.

• Like 2

If anyone is interested:

I received my tune file yesterday for my BBP tune from Justin.

Loaded the tune in under 5 minutes, took her out driving around and she's a brand new beast.

If you're complaining about the shifting/clunkiness then I can't help but recommend this/a tune. Cleans up the shifts and timing, and it's finally driving the way she's supposed to! No vibrations at any speed, no clunk into gear in 1-2 or 2-3, def can feel the power of the 5.3L. I'm running 87 octane from a company gas card - I will be putting in 89 octane at the first of the year for better mileage/response/no engine knock.

Overall rating: 9/10.

I totally agree with you!

Unfortunately for me and Jarrad, I had no idea on how to download a tune and upload it into my truck.

However, being that Jarrad has Great customer service...(aka patience) he helped me through it with several emails going back and forth.

I finally was able to get my brain around what I needed to do and Walla! The Beast within woke up!

Don't get me wrong, when Justin first tuned my truck it was great, but I wanted a better response and later shift points, so he sent me a new file and once that was loaded into my truck all is as it should be/expected. I thought I wanted to have it more aggressive, but I think it is just right the way it is now...I need to watch how I accelerate when the roads are wet...even just a little wet the rear tires will slip.

I'm also running on 91/93 Oct. my mpg is averaging around 17.5 city and 24.7 hwy...then again I wasn't looking for a gas saver.

Check out BlackBear Performance if you need to wake up your truck, the versatility of the tune with Jarrad & Justin at the helm makes the mod worth it...Best mod on my truck so far, and NOT the most expensive one either!

Merry Modding & Happy Tuning!

• Like 1

I also had trouble since I had never done a tune before. The result was good but I found Black Bear slow to respond and the instructions too complicated. Emails were 2-3 days for response and it was over 3 weeks start to finish. That's partially because I sent a bad file and 2 different people sent overlapping email responses. Instructions are complicated because they try to cover all vehicles in one set of instructions. Looking back I think the instructions would work better if you used a laptop so the frequent sub menus can be opened as you tune. I printed them out but had so many sub menus attached that I made mistakes. Apparently I hit a busy time at BB.

My suggestion is to use a laptop and take your time if you are a newbie! Great tune though.

I also had trouble since I had never done a tune before. The result was good but I found Black Bear slow to respond and the instructions too complicated. Emails were 2-3 days for response and it was over 3 weeks start to finish. That's partially because I sent a bad file and 2 different people sent overlapping email responses. Instructions are complicated because they try to cover all vehicles in one set of instructions. Looking back I think the instructions would work better if you used a laptop so the frequent sub menus can be opened as you tune. I printed them out but had so many sub menus attached that I made mistakes. Apparently I hit a busy time at BB.

My suggestion is to use a laptop and take your time if you are a newbie! Great tune though.

Weird. Took me a week to get my modified tunes.

And their website has a full set of instructions to follow, detailing everything you'd need to know...I think it took me 5 minutes start to finish on the laptop w/ the program.

Edited by ChevyRoofer

Weird. Took me a week to get my modified tunes.

And their website has a full set of instructions to follow, detailing everything you'd need to know...I think it took me 5 minutes start to finish on the laptop w/ the program.

Same here...it took maybe 2 days and my new tune was in my email, but it took my brain about 2 weeks to catch on to how to do things.

As I mentioned Jarrad was very good with his response and customer service considering he had to deal with a newbie here.

I even looked at the instructions and still had problems for some reason...however, now it seems to be easy and straight forward.

I went back and forth with emails as well however, I didn't expect a quick turn around knowing they would have a bunch of other emails to answer. I usually got a response the next day, at times maybe 2 days, but since my truck was operational it was no biggie for me...knowing that sooner or later things would get worked out.

Now if Jarrad had some bad attitude when he helped me that would be another thing, but instead he showed patience (Professionalism) in his emails...not sure if he was pulling his hair on the other side, but it was all good for me.

Love that tune!

• Like 1

Majority of our customers have no issues with the instructions, however, the guys to recognize that not everyone is on the same page. They are looking to add videos for the instructions this coming year.

3 weeks for a tune file turn around is definitely not the norm, did you address that with the guys? 2-3 business days is the usual turn around time.

• Like 2

Been watching this topic for a while and decided to comment. I had my 2016 Sierra Denali 6.2 tuned by another tuner who will not be named. He had done my 2008 Sierra Denali 6.2 and my 2010 C6 Corvette. I feel like he did a good job with both tunes. He assured me the new 8 speed transmission would be no problem. After six weeks, much frustration, numerous phone calls and a transmission that was much worse than OE (yes it is possible), I went back to the factory tune.

Fast Forward a couple of weeks. I found a used Blackbear Autocal listed on this website for sale and purchased it. Contacted Blackbear, submitted payment and sent in my OE tune. A few days later, received the initial tune. Drove a few days and submitted a data log for review. A few days later had a new tune. Drove it as directed and submitted a data log for review and got a message back from Jarrad I was good to go. From initial contact to completed tune was about two ~ three weeks and several of those days were my not having time to work on it.

Blackbear did a great job and I am very pleased with the outcome. Like so many others, I would highly recommend this company and their services. Rating: Engine 10/10, Transmission 9/10.

• Like 1

Been watching this topic for a while and decided to comment. I had my 2016 Sierra Denali 6.2 tuned by another tuner who will not be named. He had done my 2008 Sierra Denali 6.2 and my 2010 C6 Corvette. I feel like he did a good job with both tunes. He assured me the new 8 speed transmission would be no problem. After six weeks, much frustration, numerous phone calls and a transmission that was much worse than OE (yes it is possible), I went back to the factory tune.

Fast Forward a couple of weeks. I found a used Blackbear Autocal listed on this website for sale and purchased it. Contacted Blackbear, submitted payment and sent in my OE tune. A few days later, received the initial tune. Drove a few days and submitted a data log for review. A few days later had a new tune. Drove it as directed and submitted a data log for review and got a message back from Jarrad I was good to go. From initial contact to completed tune was about two ~ three weeks and several of those days were my not having time to work on it.

Blackbear did a great job and I am very pleased with the outcome. Like so many others, I would highly recommend this company and their services. Rating: Engine 10/10, Transmission 9/10.

Thank you for your review, glad the guys got you taken care of!

Sent from my fone.

Just installed intune i2 87 Octane tune with Firm shifts and AFM V4 off. Took it for a short 10 minute drive and definitely notice better throttle response and power. But the only unusual thing I was noticing is that on a flat road going 35 to 40 mph, the rpms were still staying high around 1700 rpms like it was staying in a lower gear and wouldn't shift to the higher gears where the rpms are normally around 1100 to 1200 on this same road.

Is this normal? Or should I give it a week or so to relearn the driving parameters if they were wiped out during the tune install?
I don't care about mpg's that much but if it's going to run in the lower gear (higher rpms) alot more, then I think it's going to burn more fuel.

Just installed intune i2 87 Octane tune with Firm shifts and AFM V4 off. Took it for a short 10 minute drive and definitely notice better throttle response and power. But the only unusual thing I was noticing is that on a flat road going 35 to 40 mph, the rpms were still staying high around 1700 rpms like it was staying in a lower gear and wouldn't shift to the higher gears where the rpms are normally around 1100 to 1200 on this same road.

Is this normal? Or should I give it a week or so to relearn the driving parameters if they were wiped out during the tune install?
I don't care about mpg's that much but if it's going to run in the lower gear (higher rpms) alot more, then I think it's going to burn more fuel.

yes it runs in a higher rpm. thats partially how you get better throttle response and a transmission thats not so shifty. 45 mph is the magic number to get the trans to shift into a lower gear. The higher rpms may take away some mpg's but its probably not going to be that noticeable, if it even goes down. To tell you the truth i run the E85 tune and got 18.3 mpg on the highway this week, doing 80-85 from austin to dallas. Thats on winter gas too. In the summer on 87-93 I know I'd still get 23-25mpg. So mpg's isnt affected all that much. Prior to the tune the best mileage i ever got on E85 was 19ish and that was on the flat roads from east texas to louisiana.

Edited by DirtyMarcus

I have had the intune (non i2) for about 2yrs now. My initial thought when I read your post was I dont think mine does that. But sure enough on my drive home today I purposely drove the slower steady speeds and paid attention and mine acted the same way. From about 25 to 35 it starts at about 1200 and climbs RPM up to about 1700 then shifts, does the same thing again from 35 to 45 before shifting, and again will do it from 45 to 55. It seemed to really want to hold the gear and the higher RPM if you kept the speed steady like you said. I usually dont drive the slower speeds, most always 55mph roads or 70mph freeway but I have not noticed any drop in mpg with the tune installed. And this is with testing the different tune combinations pretty well over the past 2 yrs. I've tested having AFM off for one month and I lost 1mpg so I keep it on. AFM seems to work flawless in my truck. I've settled on mostly using the diablo tune with firm shift and using E85. I agree with dirtymacus's post, the tune is probably made to hold the higher rpm for better power and throttle response. I've been pretty happy with it for a canned tune. These trucks can really get up and go!