Consumer Reports does not like the Chevy Colorado

Gorehamj

Colorado camp site 1200.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7/15/2015

In its recent review of the 2015 Chevy Colorado Consumer Reports said about the Colorado "We really, really want to like this truck. We just can’t." In the review, CR points out many positive aspects of the Colorado including:

- Being the most maneuverable truck in the segment

- Its size makes parking a snap

- Tows more than the Frontier or Tacoma

- Fuel economy "is tops."

- Has a quiet cabin that easy to get into

- Offers the best active safety equipment in the segment

- Smooth and silent tailgate operation

- Corner Step bumper

So why can't Consumer Reports say it likes the Colorado? CR didn't like the truck-like ride. They also don't like the Tacoma's ride or the Frontier's ride, calling them "...akin to choosing between poison ivy and wasps on a 10-mile hike." At this point in Consumer Reports review, we begin to wonder why a tester who does not like any of the vehicles in the entire segment is reviewing the Colorado. The group also didn't like the price of the Colorado ($34,300). What do they think a V6 4X4 vehicle that seats five costs these days? And finally, CR called out the Colorado for an uncomfortable seat that had a bottom cushion "that didn't adjust for tilt" and a telescoping steering wheel that didn't telescope out far enough.

If CR's testers love the silky smooth ride of a Prius with a power seat, why not just stick to that, and leave the truck reporting to people that understand how trucks are evaluated?

Consumer Reports' full review of the Colorado can be found here. Tell us below what you think of the review.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It definitely sounds to me like they are being extremely picky. When I sat in one I found the seats to be really comfortable in my opinion. I think the price could be lower too actually, but overall it seems like a great truck.

That tester needs to come and ride in the wife's Jeep for a few hours. THOSE are uncomfortable...the only truly "uncomfortable" GM seats I've ever sat in were because they were worn out with age/use.

Yeah I still remember that video of some of their "testers" talking about how useless fullsize SUVs are... They don't live in the real world.

Their testers are all yuppies from the NYC area and suburban Connecticut. I'd bet you anything none of them have ever known anyone with a camper, horses, boat, etc. And they're obviously not gear heads either. You can't analyze a vehicle, especially a lifestyle vehicle like a midsize truck with the same facts only analysis you test a clothes dryer with.

GM didn't pay consumer reports enough $$ for the review, that's why.

But ultimately, they review based on price. They like a best bang for your buck vehicle. Seeing how these trucks are the newest fullest loaded in the segment, they aren't going to be winning them over.

I also read some of their other reviews and they don't like the ride of any truck.

Who buys a Colorado or a taco expecting a very smooth ride anyway? I'm sure they are blowing it out of proportion... If the ride wasn't good maybe that would of affected it winning MT's truck of the year. And we would Probably start to see some posts pop up on the forum about a rough ride..

GM didn't pay consumer reports enough $$ for the review, that's why.

But ultimately, they review based on price. They like a best bang for your buck vehicle. Seeing how these trucks are the newest fullest loaded in the segment, they aren't going to be winning them over.

Not true, otherwise the SK cousins would win everything. they just rated Mazda best brand. I'm a mazda guy also, but they are not the best value in their class from a feature and cost standpoint.

I was SHOCKED CR would rate a niche "drivers" brand a BB. Maybe they have a few auto enthusiasts hiding in there somewhere.

Everyone Knows that Import Reports are EXTREMELY Biased Towards Honda and Toyota; and we can't forget their CHRONIC Contempt of ANYTHING that has the Chrysler Pentastar displayed on it. as Mike said, They are all New England Yuppies that have Little to ZERO knowledge of Trucks, and their Capabilities.

Archived