Do You Want Your Truck To Have Automated Braking?

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-40832700-1442245040_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9/14/2015

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) is the group that does the most comprehensive vehicle testing in the U.S. The group recently called on automakers to make automated emergency braking standard (not an available option) on all cars and trucks. General Motors was one of the ten automakers who agreed to do so.

Also called forward collision prevention (FCP) automated emergency braking is a system that scans the road ahead for obstacles. When it sees what it thinks is a likely forward crash about to happen the system applies emergency braking to prevent, or lessen the severity of the crash. Although GM proudly touted its current AED capabilities, only a small fraction of the vehicles GM produces have this technology when they leave the factory. It is usually an expensive option, or part of an expensive options package.

post-139450-0-79456800-1442245082.jpg

Last year, Toyota announced it would be the industry leader in this technology in terms of vehicles with the systems in circulation. Toyota and Lexus are both now rolling our their systems which come at an industry-low price of $300 to $500. Subaru's Eyesight system is the most advanced system available according to most who have been involved in testing and evaluating these systems. Although other automakers such as the German premium brands have the technology, they have almost no vehicles in the current U.S. fleet actually equipped with them. Making the systems widespread will fall to Toyota, GM, and Ford in the U.S. since they make the bulk of the cars and trucks.

Having tested dozens of vehicles with the technology, we can attest to its livability. Unlike automated high-beams (which we feel do not work, and are not a safety system), and lane departure warning and mitigation which seems to be constantly correcting non-problems, FCP rarely intervenes unless a threat is actually detected. Most systems also have three levels of sensitivity. This writer was unsure of how important or how useful FCP was until the day came that I was in an Acura on the highway and the system intervened to help me avoid a near-certain crash. Early Friday morning I passed a crash scene involving a pickup that had hit the rear of a parked tractor-trailer on the highway. Examples of ways this technology can help prevent deaths and injuries are not hard to spot.

The benefits of the system go beyond just preventing minor rear end crashes. The technology can also help a business owner reduce potential liability. With tired workers driving company vehicles, any system that actually works can prevent or reduce the financial costs to one's company an accident can bring.

How do you feel about this technology being made standard in GM vehicles? If you have tested a vehicle that has it, tell us if you found it to be in the way, or if you are one of the very few that have experienced how it works.

Still doesn't stop an older car from rear ending you who is not paying attention while your car is automatically braking...driver responsibility, vigilance and attention trump all safety features which are there to assist a responsible driver and not do everything for them...

Nope. Don't need or want the computer driving for me. Junk like this is just the way to slowly make people comfortable with autonomous cars. You know the story about slowly bringing a pot of water to a boil to kill a frog? Same deal here. Once there is central control over vehicles, you've lost your freedom, period.

Simple cheap solution, get off the cell phone, and or, stop shoving that burger down your face. i've seen so many people, reading newspapers, women doing their makeup, and men shaving while driving, that its incomprehensible

I had 2 Dodge chargers with this feature and I gotta tell you it's pretty dang nice. I would appreciate it in a GM truck. I've tested it at off ramps driving 60mph and seeing what the car would do, and let me tell you, it works. Is it a catch all for stopping accidents, no but I can tell you it could save your butt for that 1 time your guilty of looking away in traffic. Or that time your in 100 miles of traffic cones in construction or that time your checking out the accident in the opposite lane.

I'd appreciate it.

I still can't figure out why vehicles come out of the factory with the ability to do 100 mph.

...because they didn't design it to go faster. The new 'Vette will top 200.

Some of us like to go to the track on our off days. The 2010 Camaro SS tops at 187MPH with the limiter removed. Unfortunately, the track isn't that long around here.

NO! Have it on 2013 Freightliner and is dangerous when using cruise control,will apply brakes when not needed. Brakes have applied twice with slow vehicle in front was already on exit ramp, another while in curve on highway the vehicle in front had turned and stopped on side street. Only use it has is for tailgaters and distracted drivers

I still can't figure out why vehicles come out of the factory with the ability to do 100 mph.

Because people drive their vehicles in places other than public roads. And because this is a free country.

attachicon.gifFord F-150 crash prevention.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

9/14/2015

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) is the group that does the most comprehensive vehicle testing in the U.S. The group recently called on automakers to make automated emergency braking standard (not an available option) on all cars and trucks. General Motors was one of the ten automakers who agreed to do so.

Also called forward collision prevention (FCP) automated emergency braking is a system that scans the road ahead for obstacles. When it sees what it thinks is a likely forward crash about to happen the system applies emergency braking to prevent, or lessen the severity of the crash. Although GM proudly touted its current AED capabilities, only a small fraction of the vehicles GM produces have this technology when they leave the factory. It is usually an expensive option, or part of an expensive options package.

attachicon.gifAcura FCP.jpg

Last year, Toyota announced it would be the industry leader in this technology in terms of vehicles with the systems in circulation. Toyota and Lexus are both now rolling our their systems which come at an industry-low price of $300 to $500. Subaru's Eyesight system is the most advanced system available according to most who have been involved in testing and evaluating these systems. Although other automakers such as the German premium brands have the technology, they have almost no vehicles in the current U.S. fleet actually equipped with them. Making the systems widespread will fall to Toyota, GM, and Ford in the U.S. since they make the bulk of the cars and trucks.

Having tested dozens of vehicles with the technology, we can attest to its livability. Unlike automated high-beams (which we feel do not work, and are not a safety system), and lane departure warning and mitigation which seems to be constantly correcting non-problems, FCP rarely intervenes unless a threat is actually detected. Most systems also have three levels of sensitivity. This writer was unsure of how important or how useful FCP was until the day came that I was in an Acura on the highway and the system intervened to help me avoid a near-certain crash. Early Friday morning I passed a crash scene involving a pickup that had hit the rear of a parked tractor-trailer on the highway. Examples of ways this technology can help prevent deaths and injuries are not hard to spot.

The benefits of the system go beyond just preventing minor rear end crashes. The technology can also help a business owner reduce potential liability. With tired workers driving company vehicles, any system that actually works can prevent or reduce the financial costs to one's company an accident can bring.

How do you feel about this technology being made standard in GM vehicles? If you have tested a vehicle that has it, tell us if you found it to be in the way, or if you are one of the very few that have experienced how it works.

I'll just refer to this video on FCP/AEB Systems, and to say wait until the tech gets better:

Because people drive their vehicles in places other than public roads. And because this is a free country.

Well.....for now.......

The mazda has it. Hasn't kicked in for the wife(that she has admitted), but I actually picked the vehicle that had it.

(You can turn it off if you want. Mazda is cool about that, my 6 had fully defeatable traction control. I confirmed that on an icy day and melted through a sheet of ice), but with kids in the car I wanted any extra safety feature available.

Although I can see the advantage of such systems (or any other electronic helper for that matter), I don't like the idea to stuff even more technology into cars.

Every single bit of dong-dong here and ding-ding there is prone to fail and fixable only by a highly equipped repair shop.

But that's not quite what concerns me.

What concerns me is that when one system fails another one is most likely effected as well.

And, even worse, people don't understand that those features are meant as a support for dealing with the growing traffic volume.

No. They think ...:

Should free people up to do more important tasks such as texting while driving.

so long

j-ten-ner

It's coming and not much we can do about it. If the systems get better they may have a place but as some say it's just another thing to F up. I'm guessing it will be years before all the bugs get worked out of these.

Archived