Going off road in Denali

Hi All,

A newbie here in So Cal. After 30 + years on the job decided to pull the plug and retire. I've had a company car for the past 20 years so I had to find me a nice retirement vehicle. My retirement truck is a 2018 Sierra Denali 4x4 with the ultimate package. 

After 3 months I love the truck. I only have a couple of questions and looking for some advice.

1: Is it normal for the transmission to clunk at times and shift hard?

2: Can the Denali be used off road and is it possible to change the 22" wheels and tires for 18"? If so will it void any warranties and or mess with the suspension?

Once a year I travel to the Eastern Sierra's for a week of trout fishing. There are some places we go that is off road etc. The truck is soooo nice I almost don't even want to take it off road but if I do will I have to worry about what it can or cannot do?

I know I should have gotten the All-Terrain but my dealer said it was to late to order as they had already started gearing up for the new 2019's. Plus I couldn't find one I liked that could be dealer swapped.

Thanks a head of time for your answers/recommendations,

Dj

IMG_3184.jpg

Beautiful truck! I don't think swapping tires/wheels will void any warranty or mess with the suspension at all as long as its stock size (265/65r18). These trucks are pretty capable off-road stock, I just took mine out for the first time a few weeks ago to an out of the way hiking spot and it did fine on rocky and rutted out dirt trails. The only thing I was worried about was puncturing a tire but they held up ok. The only thing I'd be worried about on your truck is scratching up those nice wheels! Anyways, congrats on the new truck and enjoy!

Edited by swoleymammoth

Hi All,

A newbie here in So Cal. After 30 + years on the job decided to pull the plug and retire. I've had a company car for the past 20 years so I had to find me a nice retirement vehicle. My retirement truck is a 2018 Sierra Denali 4x4 with the ultimate package. 

After 3 months I love the truck. I only have a couple of questions and looking for some advice.

1: Is it normal for the transmission to clunk at times and shift hard?

2: Can the Denali be used off road and is it possible to change the 22" wheels and tires for 18"? If so will it void any warranties and or mess with the suspension?

Once a year I travel to the Eastern Sierra's for a week of trout fishing. There are some places we go that is off road etc. The truck is soooo nice I almost don't even want to take it off road but if I do will I have to worry about what it can or cannot do?

I know I should have gotten the All-Terrain but my dealer said it was to late to order as they had already started gearing up for the new 2019's. Plus I couldn't find one I liked that could be dealer swapped.

Thanks a head of time for your answers/recommendations,

Dj
IMG_3184.jpg.3c8770066991f4cad316705852c01e08.jpg

Don’t worry about switching out your wheels and tires just be aware that you’ll most likely need different offset wheels if you do a level too. The 16-18 have different upper control arms now which causes rubbing once you do a level. My 18 has 2.25” front billet aluminum level with 1” added rear, 20X9 with plus 18 offset wheels and 275/60/20 KO2’s which is perfect but I had to order new shocks cause rancho sux

0ee6c39dbac6f0b192a81a615e714973.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same truck you do and I have the 2.5 leveling kit from SuspensionMaxx. The upper control arms DO NOT rub my tires under any circumstance nor does it ride any different thanks to the relocation brackets for the Magneride shocks. You'll be fine doing the level if you want to gain some clearance up front and to even the look out. Very nice truck. :thumbs:

Yes you'll be fine with 18s like said above.

Beautiful truck and you should enjoy it. You earned it, no need to keep it cherry and only use it on nice pavement roads. Enjoy your retirement years :)

You had me at trout fishing :thumbs:

These 8l90's are definitely very clunky but that is apparently "normal." Inherent to all of them. Ive found it actually shifts better the harder you are on the gas. Idk how you drive, but mine shifts way better if I rev it out to 3k or 4k RPMs vs easing on it and shifting at 2k RPMs. WOT is really where this trans shines. WOT shifts are awesome.

1 hour ago, dave07 said:

If you are doing some offroading, I would switch to an 18" inch rim and an AT tire. 22s with those low profiles are meant for the pavement!

Yep, what Dave said...if you like those rims and tires, an approach might be find some cheap 18" rims just for you annual trip and through some AT tires on them (i'm a big fan of the BFG KO2)...

OR those Denali rims are pretty desirable...you can sell them and buy you a new set of rims and throw some AT tires on them...

either way...your truck is fully capable of off roading...but even in 4wd, you might get stuck going up a wet grassy hill with those stock tires :) 

(oh and what everyone else said about leveling...it wont affect your warranty...but do your research, I don't know anything about the Magnaride the Denali's have...so there might be something more than just adding a 2" level kit like I did)

good luck and post pics which ever way you go!

Welcome to retirement!  You'll wonder how you ever found the time to work!  Off-road driving can come in many forms.  You can experience some pretty rough paths without scratching up your beautiful truck!  I've had my truck in places where a two wheel drive would shy away from but my truck still cleans up to new condition.  

9 hours ago, Dj91 said:

: Can the Denali be used off road and is it possible to change the 22" wheels and tires for 18"? If so will it void any warranties and or mess with the suspension?

sorry, but I have to finish lol-ing at a Denali owner asking if the truck can go off-road.

But seriously, the only limiting factor you have right now is the crappy stock tires for severe off-road traction. You can drive that truck anywhere you won't get stuck on reasonable trails. I have plowed snow for 3 years with my stock rubber. Its not ideal, but I'm not throwing them away until the tread is at least half gone. Your lower profile tires might make for a slightly rougher ride, but it won't prevent you from enjoying a week of fishing every year.

Personally, I don't think you need to change the wheels/ tires based on what you want to do. Now if you don't like the look of the 20's, you should be able to sell them and get some OEM 18's for less money. Then you can choose as aggressive AT tires as you want. It won't cause any issues with your truck or warranty, especially if you keep close to the same diameter. But honestly, if you keep it on the pavement 360 days a year, I wouldn't bother.

Yep, what Dave said...if you like those rims and tires, an approach might be find some cheap 18" rims just for you annual trip and through some AT tires on them (i'm a big fan of the BFG KO2)...

OR those Denali rims are pretty desirable...you can sell them and buy you a new set of rims and throw some AT tires on them...

either way...your truck is fully capable of off roading...but even in 4wd, you might get stuck going up a wet grassy hill with those stock tires [emoji4] 

(oh and what everyone else said about leveling...it wont affect your warranty...but do your research, I don't know anything about the Magnaride the Denali's have...so there might be something more than just adding a 2" level kit like I did)

good luck and post pics which ever way you go!

Some dealerships will actually void your warranty if you go taller than 2.5” - 3” levels. I actually contacted the GM of my dealership and he told me don’t do the 3” or higher cause of to many issues with the new stamped CA’s. I did a 2.25” billet aluminum from and added a 1” rear and that’s when I started having issues with rubbing then I bought new wheels too. The magnetic ride suspension doesn’t like off roading. There are some kits with magnetic ride suspension adapters available for the magnetic ride suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dj91,

Good looking truck. Enjoy and welcome to the club!

Discussions have taken place regarding the 6 and 8 speed transmissions.

A little reading on the 8speed Transmission Clunk:

Some will void it (including GM) at anything above stock as they have sent memos out regarding that. If it impacts what fails they will decline warranty regardless if you 1" or 3", 2.5 isn't some safe nothing happens number, it is on the upper limits of harsh wear and tear...

Why is everyone talking about levels? He didn't ask about that, he didn't say he was going to add one. He just asked if he can change the wheels to a smaller wheel and not mess with the warranty. Answer is yes so long as you don't go bigger and heavier (which will be harder to do as wheels are heavier than tires so chances are your 18" set up will weigh less than the 22" set up). Putting a 34" tire and 2.5" level the dealer can certainly void warranty for items that fail that are related (BJ's, bearing, ect).

Obviously you can go off road with 22"s but that is a bad idea, it can but a vette can also go off road. 18's can be aired down and increase the foot print which helps with traction and preventing from getting stuck (a 22 will increase very minimally its footprint), it will also help prevent punctures and it will ride better which is big when you spend a long time off the pavement driving places.

I say find a nice looking 18" wheel you like, wrap it in a good AT (not BFG) and profit off the sale of the 22's and enjoy. No switching wheels back and forth, tires will be cheaper to buy and ride nicer as well as more choices. The truck isn't limited, it still has the same ground clearance and locking diff as the other models, just the shocks most likely aren't best for long term off road abuse but will be fine for occasional jaunts. I would also look at adding the metal skid plates, mine came in handy on the white rim trail.

Tyler

• Like 1