Custom Trail Boss Console Upgrade?

1 minute ago, Boss2020 said:

By any chance is there instructions anywhere? I just got my 2020 TBC on Friday and can’t stand the no storage issue. As well as the crappy headlights. I ordered mine today.

There’s a parts blowup earlier in the thread that shows what has to be removed. This is what I followed. 

6 minutes ago, Boss2020 said:

By any chance is there instructions anywhere? I just got my 2020 TBC on Friday and can’t stand the no storage issue. As well as the crappy headlights. I ordered mine today.

not really , just what can be found here .  

1 hour ago, Boss2020 said:

Instructions for what?

13 hours ago, Gbengmerc said:

My dealer says this part is a different manufacturer. ? Just picked up 2020 trail boss Saturday and want to make the switch

It appears to be the same part. I asked the person helping me with my order online why these part numbers changed and they advised me that it's usually something to do with site of manufacturer or change in manufacturer etc... They said it was required to be the same in form and function for the GM part catalog to auto-sub one for another. 

I got mine swapped Tues but I broke the plastic clip that holds the torsion spring on the passengers side.

The bottom flimsy part that screws in at a lower point. It broke when removing the old seat-back.

I tried to repair it with some plastic epoxy but it broke and it's not repairable. It's a piece of plastic that's designed to flex and bend. =(

The spring still works to some degree but not to the degree that it would if that clip/frame/springholder were intact.

I'm going to assume that those small parts are probably unavailable as separates. If I could figure out how to, I would order another one... but if I cannot then I will eventually forget about it because it works fine. 

It really is kinda irritating how easily some of these parts break. Especially when it's not clear if you can replace them individually.

I'm still trying to get a used, entire console from a junkyard, with the bottom storage and the console lid storage, plus the rear USB/power ports, but in the meantime, I bought the "Texas Saddlebags Clutter Catcher(R) Universal Floor Consoles Black (50811)" floor console that "Chad's Trail Boss" posted earlier in this thread. 

Here is the link to the console:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQ10BSY

There is nothing to attach the console, just some grippy feet on the bottom.  Chad recommended to shave down the front of the console if you have the GM floor mats across the center.  I do have the mats, and didn't yet shave the console, but I really had to jam it in there to make it fit, and the side are kind of smushed because of that.  I will probably shave the front bottom a bit to make it fit better, but it's definitely not going anywhere the way it's jammed in there.

I'm really happy with this thing, as I can use a short USB cable to attach my phone to the dash, and then the phone, in the case, fits in the slot on the left.

Here are some pictures of the console installed:

console_3.jpg

console_2.jpg

console_1.jpg

Edited by Railroad_Jim
typo
  • Like 1

I would like to shout out a BIG THANKS ? to those who initiated and contributed pics, instructions, and "How to" swap out the center console.  As most of you experienced, I was very disappointed in my 2020 Custom when I found out the center console did not open considering my 2008 Silverado had tons of storage!! 

Ordered one from GMPARTSXPERTS and it shipped in about a week.  Arriving today!!  

Also ordered the Texas Saddlebag for the floor organizer, and the rear seat floor organizer from Weathertech (it'skinda flimsy).  

Next stop:  replace that Dollar Store rearview mirror they put in my truck!   LOL.  

Thanks again!!

Edited by Fred Cruise
Wrong name of vendor

46 minutes ago, Fred Cruise said:

I would like to shout out a BIG THANKS ? to those who initiated and contributed pics, instructions, and "How to" swap out the center console.  As most of you experienced, I was very disappointed in my 2020 Custom when I found out the center console did not open considering my 2008 Silverado had tons of storage!! 

Ordered one from GMEXPRESS parts and it shipped in about a week.  Arriving today!!  

Also ordered the Texas Saddlebag for the floor organizer, and the rear seat floor organizer from Weathertech (it'skinda flimsy).  

Next stop:  replace that Dollar Store rearview mirror they put in my truck!   LOL.  

Thanks again!!

I haven't heard a word from sdparts.com.  Ordered in December.  Could you post a link to where you bought yours from?

Thanks

Joel, ordered from here:

https://www.gmpartsxperts.com/oem-parts/gm-f-armrest-84756948

The site shows 1 in stock...I spoke to them and the one in stock is damaged and they can't seem to remove it from the page.   Took them about a week to get a new one in and ship.  Mine arrives today, (I ordered on 23 Jan, it shipped on 30 Jan from New Jersey).  Hopefully all will be good!  

Edited by Fred Cruise

18 hours ago, Little Rascal said:

I haven't heard a word from sdparts.com.  Ordered in December.  Could you post a link to where you bought yours from?

Thanks

got mine in a week ,it was damaged and got the the replacement a week later from https://www.gmpartsxperts.com/

18 hours ago, Fred Cruise said:

Joel, ordered from here:

https://www.gmpartsxperts.com/oem-parts/gm-f-armrest-84756948

The site shows 1 in stock...I spoke to them and the one in stock is damaged and they can't seem to remove it from the page.   Took them about a week to get a new one in and ship.  Mine arrives today, (I ordered on 23 Jan, it shipped on 30 Jan from New Jersey).  Hopefully all will be good!  

That's prolly the one I returned.  It had a small cut in the pad and scratch's in the plastic . GM does a lousy job in their shipping practices , the seat belt attachment is not covered and bounces around in the box . Not a doubt in my mind that is the culprit . I live 50 miles from there and drove there to make the swap , Kyle at Malouf Chevy in NJ

Edited by Harry Rombold

On 12/16/2019 at 7:30 PM, RottDawgler said:

Got my replacement arm rest installed tonight. I agree, it’s kind of a PITA but it’s done and it’s good to have that storage back.. it was worth it.. 

There's been no mention on here about the plastic behind the seat belt floor attachment and how it comes off , I'm guessing the same type of clips used on the other side panels but previous posts say that only 5 new clips are needed for the job . That number doesn't jive with or include this lower panel forementioned .  For the most part the posts relating to this upgrade have been very helpful but still leave some holes to be filled . When I do anything I like to be prepared , unpleasant surprises can really take a dump on you day .  Comments welcome , thank you