Oil dipstick not registering after putting in 8 qts of oil

I recently completed my first oil change in my 2019 Silverado LT with a 5.3 V8.  After reading in the owner's manual that the capacity is 8 quarts, I put exaclty that into the engine.  I waited about 30 minutes for the oil to settle and read the dipstick, but the the oil level did not register on the dipstick.  The factory (or dealer) put enough oil in to register halfway up the dipstick, but they must have put 9 or 10 quarts in order to do this.  My question is what could be going on?  Do I fill the oil up to an acceptable level on the dipstick and run the risk of damage to the engine by running too much oil or do I just keep the 8 quarts and run the risk of running too little oil?  Did they give me the wrong dipstick?    

Edited by hogrider815

One thought, I know fresh oil can look transparent on the dipstick...like nothing was on there even though there really is.

Only thing that makes sense to me based on your description.

Have you started it? If so, what does the pressure gauge show?

I find it very tricky to read the oil on the 2018 dipsticks. Particularly the 0-20 stuff when new because it is "water like in its transparency and thinness".

Also found that one side of the stick seems to read more accurately than the other. Meaning one side will show the level right at the high mark, and the other side will show oil another 2-4 inches up. I don't know if this is from scraping as it goes in and out, or what.

For me, I drain the oil. Then add 1.5gal/6qts. Run the engine until warm or a short drive. Let it sit over night. Read it in the morning, and fill as needed.

The only time I added all 8quarts/2gal called for, it read well over the top mark and I had to pump some out the dip stick.

Stop before you do anything else. Pull the stick out again and be sure it's completely dry, replace and let sit for 10 seconds on level ground.  Pull out the stick, if you don't see any liquid, drain the pan and monitor how much oil you see coming out.  Refill with 7 qts, should see a measurement at the bottom of the stick.  Better to figure out what's wrong with less oil than too much.

Edited by The Zip

4 hours ago, hogrider815 said:

I recently completed my first oil change in my 2019 Silverado LT with a 5.3 V8.  After reading in the owner's manual that the capacity is 8 quarts, I put exaclty that into the engine.  I waited about 30 minutes for the oil to settle and read the dipstick, but the the oil level did not register on the dipstick.  The factory (or dealer) put enough oil in to register halfway up the dipstick, but they must have put 9 or 10 quarts in order to do this.  My question is what could be going on?  Do I fill the oil up to an acceptable level on the dipstick and run the risk of damage to the engine by running too much oil or do I just keep the 8 quarts and run the risk of running too little oil?  Did they give me the wrong dipstick?    

Ok so I added 1/2 quart this morning and barely saw anything register on the dipstick.  I drove to work (about 30 min drive) and after work I checked the oil after it had been sitting all day. The dipstick not only registered the oil, but it was over the upper limit.  Will a 1/2 quart extra do any damage or do I need to drain some out before driving? I've attached a photo of the oil mark. 

Oil Level.jpg

Edited by hogrider815

I changed my oil in my 6.2 tonight, it just hit the bottom of the dipstick with 8 quarts, I put 8.5 quarts in it after letting it sit, warming it up, then letting it sit again to settle and it’s about half way in the hash marks. I’m going to drive it tomorrow and check again and will add more if needed, I’m thinking per the dipstick it’s going to be 9 quarts. 

• Like 1

My wife always told me to push it in a little further when checking her oil but I never could seem to get a "good reading".:P

That stated, 8 qts. hits the top dimple on my 2018 stick. As others have said, I don't add all 8 at once, add some to the new filter before install, start and run, check later and top off. I use both gallon jugs. None left over.

Edited by Capt Bob
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Straight from the owner's manual:

Checking Engine Oil

Check the engine oil level regularly, every 650 km (400 mi), especially prior to a long trip. The engine oil dipstick handle is a loop. See Engine Compartment Overview for the location.

Warning: The engine oil dipstick handle may be hot; it could burn you. Use a towel or glove to touch the dipstick handle.

If a low oil Driver Information Center (DIC) message displays, check the oil level.

Follow these guidelines:

• To get an accurate reading, park the vehicle on level ground. Check the engine oil level after the engine has been off for at least two hours. Checking the engine oil level on steep grades or too soon after engine shutoff can result in incorrect readings. Accuracy improves when checking a cold engine prior to starting. Remove the dipstick and check the level.
  • If unable to wait two hours, the engine must be off for at least 15 minutes if the engine is warm, or at least 30 minutes if the engine is not warm. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it with a clean paper towel or cloth, then push it back in all the way. Remove it again, keeping the tip down, and check the level.

8 quarts is all it should take if following GM's drainback before checking times. 

55 minutes ago, newdude said:

Straight from the owner's manual:

8 quarts is all it should take if following GM's drainback before checking times. 

Thanks for posting that, I just checked it again and it's been sitting for about 2 hours and it's right at the top of the hash marks. I put 8.5 quarts in it last night. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/29/2019 at 1:32 PM, eppieguy said:

Thanks for posting that, I just checked it again and it's been sitting for about 2 hours and it's right at the top of the hash marks. I put 8.5 quarts in it last night. 

I went for my free oil change last week and noticed they added 9 quarts. I will have to check the dipstick this afternoon after letting it sit for at least the two hours. Think I should probably take it back in. Maybe  I can get another free oil change :)

• 1 year later...

So I know this is an old thread but figured I’d chime in with my first oil change experience on my 2019 LT 5.3L (NBS). I have been changing my oil in all my trucks and vehicles since I was old enough to drive and have found that the amount going in is not the same every time. The dealer did my first change free at 7,000 miles. I just hit 13,000 and decided to do it again a bit early. (Still 6,000 miles between the last change.) I drove about 10 miles, let sit for 30 minutes and then drained. It took 7.5 quarts. I put in the extra half quart for the heck of it per GM’s spec and my dipstick read above the full mark. I ended up pumping the half quart back out this morning after letting it sit overnight. On level ground it reads just below the full mark on the hashed section of the stick. As others have said, it’s easier to add oil then take it back out. If it calls for 8 quarts,  add 7, drive it a few miles then let it sit to a cold start. Few hours or over night. Top off as needed. There is always a bit of residual oil that takes a while to fully reach the pan. Readings can be off if you don’t wait for it all to settle before draining. You wouldn’t think that a quart over is harmful but I have seen seals go bad pretty quick from overfilling the crankcase. Oil is a lot less expensive than an engine repair or replacement. IMHO.