On 10/12/2019 at 7:17 PM, Jsdirt said:

I still own a 900 - biggest POS I've ever owned. Haven't even hit 99k miles yet, and I've already got a new differential in it, and the engine has been an oil burner for almost 50k miles so far. I also owned a '00 Jimmy - tied for the biggest POS ever owned. That one got parted out over 11 years then sent to the crusher this summer. Good riddance.

From what I've been hearing, the new ones are worse as far as failures that used to never happen on older stuff. Same patterns. GM will NEVER change. 

So when exactly was the golden era of GM trucks?

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:15 AM, darks1d3 said:

I like the look but halogen lights?!? 

Yea. Don't get me wrong, I love GM and try to think of myself as pretty loyal.. but not sure how they justify charging you just under $40k for a "special edition" vehicle and then don't even include premium lighting.

On 10/14/2019 at 2:01 PM, HondaHawkGT said:

So when exactly was the golden era of GM trucks?

1967-1971 simple years, clean looking

1989-1992 body style is classic 

1999-2004  beginning LS years, not too much tech on-board

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, flyingfool said:

1967-1971 simple years, clean looking

1989-1992 body style is classic 

1999-2004  beginning LS years, not too much tech on-board

I would take a K2 or T1 over the 99-04 in a heartbeat. The 800's are faaar from perfection... wimpy 10-bolt rear ends, the same number (if not more) electrical gremlins and bad grounds as any new truck, cheap seats, garbage 4L60e, pump rubbing t-cases, cab corners that would rot out just looking at them, etc. They weren't bad trucks by any means. But there is nothing that those trucks have over the new trucks. 

'88-'94 (and up to '98 on some models, but after 1995, OBD-II requirements hit reliability a bit) GMT-400 platform was the most reliable truck in the history of General Motors. I've seen many with well over 300k miles on them still rolling down the road. Up here in the Northeast, though, the road salt destroyed them. The drivelines were bulletproof - the bodies, not so much.

Nowadays the opposite is true! The bodies seem to last just a little bit longer, but the drivelines are garbage (GMT-900 & up). These days undercarriages rot faster than I've ever seen.

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 11:14 PM, HondaHawkGT said:

I would take a K2 or T1 over the 99-04 in a heartbeat. The 800's are faaar from perfection... wimpy 10-bolt rear ends, the same number (if not more) electrical gremlins and bad grounds as any new truck, cheap seats, garbage 4L60e, pump rubbing t-cases, cab corners that would rot out just looking at them, etc. They weren't bad trucks by any means. But there is nothing that those trucks have over the new trucks. 

i've had success with them if they stay stock,  the 4L60e is outstanding transmission, easy  to rebuild and upgrade.  10 bolts are strong enough for commuting.  offroading requires HD parts ofcourse... i dont waste my time with modern t-case 4x4's  go solid  axles . old square body is the way to go for 4x4 stuff.  

what all the old trucks have over the new models  is reliability, cheap simple parts and low to no- technology in the cab to distract drivers with modern techy social trends. 

i would take this over a k2 or t1 

Edited by flyingfool

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This truck deserves so much more .  Face lift to keep it the same for at least another 2 years. which would mean 2023 ( 9 years of production) 

Great offroad capability but very bland interior/engine should also be more special . I hate when GM does crap like this. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2019 at 2:49 PM, Trailboss75 said:

I dont understand why they keep making these trucks with that god awful ugly front grille... ugh..  they need a complete revamp of the front grille on all the trucks, Silverado and Colorado.

Silverado is a little too much, but the Colorado looks great. 

On 11/13/2019 at 1:01 PM, mistermcgoo said:

Yea. Don't get me wrong, I love GM and try to think of myself as pretty loyal.. but not sure how they justify charging you just under $40k for a "special edition" vehicle and then don't even include premium lighting.

True, the prices are very high for what you are getting. This is the most expensive Colorado possible.

(Zipcode is not my real location)

1191784438_ScreenShot2020-04-23at11_49_26AM.thumb.png.ff6a1efeb03f3672d585595d7018bd3d.png 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...