Would you buy an electric Chevy today? What about an electric GMC?

Are you ready to buy an electric truck?  

1,054 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I own and drive an EV and there can be a lot to it. Given how much the average EV truck is going to cost, I'm pretty sure that contractors and other people who need work trucks will be buying them (I'm sure some exceptions notwithstanding). There are many advantages to EVs and there are also many disadvantages. Cost of charging isn't really a problem - my car costs me around two bucks to fully charge, but it can take a while. Charge times are improving and what not, but most mainstream EVs are not quite at "fill up a car with gas" level. Like many others have said, anyone who does need to go remote with their trucks, an EV just won't be practical at the moment. But again, anyone who is going to be able to afford the $75K or more for the trucks (about what the Rivian is going to cost) are more than likely only driving around town like most people with trucks. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will never buy electric, especially after that psycho Swedish Greta ****** traveled across north america claiming we are ruining her life.  She better suck it up because the internal combustion engine is what runs the world. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Likarok said:

...because the internal combustion engine is what runs the world. 

Probably, as long as oil is available and affordable.

IMO it's inevitable that the electric vehicles take over.

The manufactures are at their limit. The combustion engines are more efficient than ever and it's getting harder and harder to squeeze out one more mile/gallon.

All the features like lane departure warning, adaptive cruise, cameras etc are maxed out. They can't get more money out of us for this.

(I'd be happy to pay a little extra for self levelling headlights though...)

The next step would be autonomous vehicles. But they're not there yet and the development is probably too expensive (for now).

What does it leave to the car builders?

Exactly. A new era of vehicles which are now somewhat cheap to build and can be sold for top Dollars. Because John Doe and the Millennials are mind-blown by all the new technology and are willing to pay.

I don't mind EV's. I think it could be fun.

so long

j-ten-ner

Well I just read that the new updated Colorado/Canyon in 2022 is dropping the 2.8 Duramax and the 3.6 v6, in favor of a 4cylinder turbo. Sounds like GM is preparing us for gutless fuel saving. Maybe Mary is getting advise from Gretta.

The current generation of Silverado/Sierra will probably be the same way. So it is sounding like I will have one more new Truck in my future with a 6.2 and then I will keep it for the rest of my life, Just to piss off all the millennial do gooders!  Maybe then I will have to buy a old Dodge Cummins diesel and get it tuned so it smokes like a freight train. lol

Oh and just so you know, for earth day I turned on every light in my house! 

2 hours ago, Claire Buenavides said:

The Hummer EV will debut this month and go on sale by next year. Charging a car is cheaper than fueling it with gas or diesel. Electric cars are getting popular nowadays but I don't think that it is time for me to change my 2012 truck. 

Not with the current gas prices. Although I don't expect the prices to stay this low forever, the price of gas will continue drop as the demand for oil diminishes. 

I drive a Cadillac ELR which is a plug in Hybrid.  Essentially it has a 40 mile all electric range and then switches to a typical gas hybrid. When the price of a gallon of gas drops below $2.50g, it's cheaper to run the car as a hybrid than to charge it using electricity at 13c per kWh. 

GM should revisit the Via Motors experiment. 

On 5/3/2020 at 6:11 PM, Claire Buenavides said:

The Hummer EV will debut this month and go on sale by next year. Charging a car is cheaper than fueling it with gas or diesel. Electric cars are getting popular nowadays but I don't think that it is time for me to change my 2012 truck. 

yeah i'm not sure about this statement when the whole country is running ev's... demand for power will drive up the cost to homeowners, and cities will have to upgrade power stations to keep up.. $$$ then if you live in a cold climate the lithium cells dont work unless they are at an optimal temp, like 65 degree F. this means you must consume energy to warm the battery pack.  and long distance trips will mean a 2 -5 hr charge time between stops to fill up the battery. hmmm. seems it aint as hot a ticket as we think.. then how are cities gonna tax you to drive the roads if we're all on EV power, same issue, more $$$ for electrons, then you  need to spend $60,000 on a solar panel for the house, lol just to off set the cost. the BS never ends.  

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my .02.....didn't ask for it but you got it. We are energy independent with enough hydrocarbon energy to supply out great great grandchildren and their children.....air is clean....water is drinkable.....so what's the beef with replacing gasoline.

Instead of pi$$ing away money on battery research they should use the bucks to reduce cost of their existing vehicles.

May be they failed at Physics, but matter and energy can neither be created nor destroyed....only transformed from one state to another state. And the juice need to charge the batteries or capacitors comes from power plants that burn a greater amount of energy in coal, oil or nat gas to produce a given amount of electricity. Oh yeah, forgot about solar and those huge Windmills made of alloys and resins that contaminate the environment not to mention the amount of lubricants necessary top keep them running and all the fuel and man hours necessary to service them. Now they discover that these avian Cuisinarts with fragile resin blades all need servicing because of the destructive nature of the winds otherwise they go out of balance when a blade breaks and collapse or turn into 200' high Roman candles when the motors seize or break loose and overspin the turbines during a hurricane. And they ignore the most clean and efficient.....Nuclear.

Should take a lesson from the old New Englander's and go with flowing water energy and devoting their resources to projects similar to Niagara or the Hoover dam and go tidal, and not those stupid bouncing bouys either. Coastal areas do not have the advantage of fast flowing water, but the do have Moon energy in the form of rising and lowering tides with unlimited ability to trap water from the daily high tide, store in a holding lake and metering it out through electric turbines at low tide....unlike the wind or the Sun the Moon is 100% dependable, day or night, for moving enough water to make it feasible. So how come there's no interest......probably because the beachfront property is to valuable to those who have money or political control to proovide a cheap and relatively clean source of cheap energy to those who drive Chevys instead of those chauffeured in Mercedes 500s.

Fantastic -  lithium batteries.....much better than lead or zinc because they are much more reactive elements on the Periodic table and can provide much more energy in the same sized battery. And of course everyone WILL recycle these, not, recycling itself proses environmental hazards  So what when lithium finds it's way into the environment...same element used in many psychoactive compounds to really mellow one out and produce a sedate society....or maybe that is the ultimate goal? Maybe some challenged teenaged Swede with a cool accent should provide a meaningful solution instead of being used as as a shill for environmental extremists.

1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

Here's my .02.....didn't ask for it but you got it. We are energy independent with enough hydrocarbon energy to supply out great great grandchildren and their children.....air is clean....water is drinkable.....so what's the beef with replacing gasoline.

Instead of pi$$ing away money on battery research they should use the bucks to reduce cost of their existing vehicles.

May be they failed at Physics, but matter and energy can neither be created nor destroyed....only transformed from one state to another state. And the juice need to charge the batteries or capacitors comes from power plants that burn a greater amount of energy in coal, oil or nat gas to produce a given amount of electricity. Oh yeah, forgot about solar and those huge Windmills made of alloys and resins that contaminate the environment not to mention the amount of lubricants necessary top keep them running and all the fuel and man hours necessary to service them. Now they discover that these avian Cuisinarts with fragile resin blades all need servicing because of the destructive nature of the winds otherwise they go out of balance when a blade breaks and collapse or turn into 200' high Roman candles when the motors seize or break loose and overspin the turbines during a hurricane. And they ignore the most clean and efficient.....Nuclear.

Should take a lesson from the old New Englander's and go with flowing water energy and devoting their resources to projects similar to Niagara or the Hoover dam and go tidal, and not those stupid bouncing bouys either. Coastal areas do not have the advantage of fast flowing water, but the do have Moon energy in the form of rising and lowering tides with unlimited ability to trap water from the daily high tide, store in a holding lake and metering it out through electric turbines at low tide....unlike the wind or the Sun the Moon is 100% dependable, day or night, for moving enough water to make it feasible. So how come there's no interest......probably because the beachfront property is to valuable to those who have money or political control to proovide a cheap and relatively clean source of cheap energy to those who drive Chevys instead of those chauffeured in Mercedes 500s.

Fantastic -  lithium batteries.....much better than lead or zinc because they are much more reactive elements on the Periodic table and can provide much more energy in the same sized battery. And of course everyone WILL recycle these, not, recycling itself proses environmental hazards  So what when lithium finds it's way into the environment...same element used in many psychoactive compounds to really mellow one out and produce a sedate society....or maybe that is the ultimate goal? Maybe some challenged teenaged Swede with a cool accent should provide a meaningful solution instead of being used as as a shill for environmental extremists.

Amen brother! You are so right on many accounts. 

Someone has to be making money on solar and wind energy. It's always about money. 

Look at the recent hydrochloriquine controversy. This drug is super cheap so they are against the use of it. They're not profiting on it, so they advocate against it.

A lot of these ignorant people think electricity for charging their (electric) cars just comes out of thin air. 

How about the effects on the environment due to the manufacturing  and disposal of those massive battery packs? How long do they last? How much does it cost to replace them? 

You are right on about using hydro-electric, tidal and nuclear. But why aren't we taking advantage of those? Must not be as profitable...it's always about the money.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm quite interested in the hummer EV. But not sure if I want to jump in on an early reservation, or do the smart thing and wait it out a bit. Hah. That would give them a couple years to work out issues, improvements, and most certainly add discounts once the hype dies down a bit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't read through all the comments but did skim them.

While I do think that electric is the future of vehicles, and actually I think that from a strictly performance sense, I will never own a completely electric vehicle until the infrastructure can properly support it, as many have pointed out.

-Dave
2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Double Cab PBM

I don't exactly care for electric vehicles at the moment, but my opinion could be changed if they become more advanced. If I had the choice of an electric vehicle with at least 400 mile range and great reliability, I would take that over a small 3 or 4 cylinder engine with a turbo.

Edited by Daryl Z71