Would you buy an electric Chevy today? What about an electric GMC?

Are you ready to buy an electric truck?  

1,054 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can you imagine all the new power plants that would have to be built if everyone goes to electric cars?  Can you imagine all the battery graveyards taking up acres of ground?  Can you imagine all the fires caused by the highly combustible lithium batteries?  Can you imagine all the pollution still generated by backwards countries like China and India and many, many others?  You know, the ones who create all the pollution now?  Because it sure isn't the US!  That is, unless we keep the clean air and water-hating Republicans/Russians in charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The big question is "where is all that Lithium to come from". China controls most of the supply and we would probably have to rape the amazon rain forests to increase the supply needed to produce all these batteries.

I like gasoline or diesel engines. Today's engines are not only durable, but also very dependable. If you use a truck for things that trucks are designed for, you will at some point either be waiting for many hours somewhere unplanned, sitting on the side of the road stranded, or forced to realize that your electric truck is unable to perform as needed. I see no need for electric trucks and I would be seriously surprised if they truly are greener, stem to stern with MFG costs, charging station infrastructure, and the fact that most of the electricity is co.inf from somewhere. Solar electricity isn't very sustainable in my opinion, at least in the Southeast, as they put up the solar farms in actual arable land/farms. The panels are taking food production away and polluting the land with heavy metals, concrete, and cables.

Everything has a cost.

Sent via Morse code

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I’m assuming this thread is so gm can obtain feedback on the consumer interest in an electric truck.

Yes GM, everybody wants an electric truck. The only people that don’t are people who haven’t driven a tesla. The truck is the perfect platform for electric.

Advantages

-low end torque, I don’t need to explain this one. 
-battery weight is a huge downside to normal vehicles, a truck is already very heavy, some extra weight makes little difference in everything except fuel consumption

-said battery weight can basically be placed whereever, which means much lower center of gravity
-electric vehicles have the ability to regen using their mass, which means more weight does not effect fuel economy as much
-a motor on each axle, amazing traction, perfect for off-roading and no transfer case to break. Much simpler than a traditional awd/4wd system

-gas efficiency has a lot to do with the weight. Which is why my 6.2 gets 10mpg in an urban environment and 24-25mpg on the highway. Acceleration and deceleration is what costs us so much in fuel, yet is where electric vehicles shine. Add towing a trailer to that and you just compound that

-an electric vehicle can act as basically a huge power station for contractors to operate tools or for someone camping

-fast, the truck would be a riot to drive

downsides-

-the highway and wind resistance is where electric does not shine. A full size truck towing a big trailer would surely not fair well compared to gas considering it does not involve deceleration. You’d need a huge battery and that battery would take a long time to charge.

-cost, you’ll need a big battery, and that’s a big expense, can you make the truck at a viable price point

cliffs- as a gm truck owner, and someone that primarily drives in urban/suburban areas, I will be buying the tesla truck as soon as it comes out. A lot of people will if it isn’t hideous. Better jump on it soon because other than long range towing, the electric truck will be better at nearly everything.

Electric trucks may be great for city owners that haul groceries and the odd matress. They will never work for what I do. Out moose hunting, 700km and 3 days on a trip before I see a plug-in. I am not lugging around a gas generator to power my battery powered truck. Batteries suck in the cold, take your iPhone out in -30c and tell me they are good. 100 miles in between towns. Work in the bush as well, not going to bet my life on electric's reliability. Electricity already costs me $2500/month with my home and business, we have some of the highest electricity rates in North America in Ontario, don't need to add on to that either. I pull up, fill up and am gone in ten minutes,  I don't have 2 hours to sit around and charge my truck at the "electricity station" when on road trips. Have anyone seen videos of a Tesla after a crash that broke open a battery? The fires are 10 times as intense as a gasoline fire, many have been burned to death in these cars already as the doors crumple and you cant get out. Lithium production and disposal is more harmful to the environment that drilling for oil. Electrics/Autonomous could never replace a Class 8 truck and driver for what my business does. Call me when a Tesla transport can drive itself down an icy logging road that we just built, load and chain down its load of logs and deliver them to the mill, impossible without human interference. Oil will be primary for another 100 years like it or not. In 1909 we had electric cars that would do 100 miles on a charge, we are barely beyond that 110 years later. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well, after watching this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWaVmmO7LZo

...I have to say , that the Rivian is the more appealing E-truck so far. Geez, it looks even better than the F150.
Although, I wish that the designers of the Rivian go out for a beer and discuss the front end design again.

I was a little surprised about the cost of ownership. I expected a lower number, given that an electric vehicle has way less moving parts, lubricants and are build in the 21st century.
Anyway, I think that the comment of one of the YouTube users sums up what I think of the design of the Cybertruck.

This is the end result of a Delorean dry humping the leg of a Hummer.

so long
j-ten-ner

On 11/19/2019 at 2:00 PM, truckguy82 said:

-an electric vehicle can act as basically a huge power station for contractors to operate tools or for someone camping

Hey Boss, why you still here?

-My truck is out of juice! No charge, which is weird, cause I charged it all last night. Gotta wait for roadside assistance. 

Did you do anything with it today?

-Yeah, had my radio and power tools charging off it all day. Why?

*Snorts* No reason. See you later!

4 hours ago, CadillacLuke24 said:

Hey Boss, why you still here?

-My truck is out of juice! No charge, which is weird, cause I charged it all last night. Gotta wait for roadside assistance. 

Did you do anything with it today?

-Yeah, had my radio and power tools charging off it all day. Why?

*Snorts* No reason. See you later!

I know you’re just messing around, but a tool battery is probably like  0.1kwh, and the smallest Truck battery is probably about 90kwh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seems my concerns are shared here....   and it comes down to battery performance.  At least for me and relative to my car/truck only.  My harley needs to remain gas fired, because.... well, I'm old school that way and it wouldn't be a harley without that potato potato potato sound at idle....

Anyway, my truck... when the automotive industry has a power supply that will provide full operation for 1000 to 1500 miles (not kilometers), with either a 15 minute recharge or quick swap to a second battery ~ then I'm in.   Until then, the range for the current battery systems is just inadequate; for both cars and motorcycles.....   I travel. I go coast to coast, on my bike each year, and in my truck.....  I think that says it all.

• 2 weeks later...