Does a Range AFM disabler work on a 2017 model?

I have had mine for about two weeks now (2016 GMC Sierra SLT CC with 5.3L and 6 speed)

I love mine too, basically it has calmed the truck down, especially when coasting to a stop while the transmission downshifts. The range device makes me like my truck. I honestly hated the constant clunking and downshifting when going from V4->v8. Now it is a nice clean downshift with no BS.

The range device was worth every penny. And I get to keep my extended warranty.

• 1 month later...

Following for more info on 2017 Compatibility.

I called range, they said it works on the 2017 model. Just important to get the latest updated version. She said if you buy one directly from the range website you will get the latest updated version.

So,I bought one directly from the range website, it came in a box that says version 8.something . I've been using it now on my 2017 6 speed for 2 weeks now, it has been flawless. No codes or messages of any kind and works exactly as advertised.

And honestly it has completely changed the whole driving experience of the truck for the better, just amazing. Get one, you'll be happy you did.

I wanted to just get a Diablo Sport tuner, but on their forums it says it will be a "while" before one is available for the 2017, so I couldn't wait anymore; I hate the V4 crap, so I bought the range; wish I would have bought it sooner.

• Like 1

I called range, they said it works on the 2017 model. Just important to get the latest updated version. She said if you buy one directly from the range website you will get the latest updated version.

So,I bought one directly from the range website, it came in a box that says version 8.something . I've been using it now on my 2017 6 speed for 2 weeks now, it has been flawless. No codes or messages of any kind and works exactly as advertised.

And honestly it has completely changed the whole driving experience of the truck for the better, just amazing. Get one, you'll be happy you did.

I wanted to just get a Diablo Sport tuner, but on their forums it says it will be a "while" before one is available for the 2017, so I couldn't wait anymore; I hate the V4 crap, so I bought the range; wish I would have bought it sooner.

Thank you for the info!!

So, has anyone been successful using the Range with the 8 speed & 5.3?

I used one on my 2013 and it worked great. (I sold both.)

I'm considering buying a new one for my 2017, it has the 8 speed.

I don't think the transmission has any factor on it; it should work just fine with the 8 speed, and you will probably love it as it will help make your shifts smoother and transition faster without the truck having to think fist of switching to V8 the downshift.

Anyways, it's been working great on my 2017 5.3 6 speed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good day all, just a quick update. I got my Range module to finally work yesterday. Not really 100% sure what the problem was. I called Range customer service and spoke to Caitlin about it, she was really helpful. Great customer service so far.

Basically all she had me do was unplug the module, turn all accessories off( radio, heater , etc) plug the module back in. Start the truck, then shut the truck off again and let the module go into sleep mode, ( about 5-10 min) then restart the truck. It was good to go after that and has been working great ever since. I have made numerous stops in the truck and have had to shut down the motor and restarted many times normally without any problems. It's been working every single time now without issue.

I gotta say.... What a huge difference in drivability!! I love this thing!! No more sluggishness and hesitation... and my 6 speed trans seems soooooo much happier, it's not searching for gears anymore and clunking because of the slop in the drivetrain from the hesitation. When I hit the gas, she gets up and goes down the road now. It's running the best it ever has with 11,500 miles on the odometer. I was using M5 when I was able to at lower speeds, but having that 6th gear come in is a game changer. Because of this device I'm finding myself falling in love with my truck all over again. I never really realized just how bad the AFM was hindering my trucks drivability till it was gone.

It's fair to say I can't ever see myself going back to using the AFM ever again, especially at lower speeds. And if for some reason this device should fail, or let me down and not work in my truck for some strange reason, I would probably be more than willing to just get a tune and take a chance on voiding my warranty to delete the AFM that way.... it just drives that much better.

I haven't gotten enough miles on it yet to see how it's gonna effect my gas mileage,( will have to report back on that) but so far it seems about the same as before. In the end I don't really care that much anyway. To me, the trade off for the drivability is more than worth it.

In closing, although it's only been a couple days of using the device for me, and so far no other issues. I would say that if anyone out there is on the fence about trying this device, and you are tired of the sloppy drivability of your newer model truck, and the hesitancy of the transmission looking for a gear because of the AFM . Go for it and give it a try. It really seems to settle my truck down. In my eyes it was money well spent... and I'm glad I went for it, and gave it a try.

I ordered my Range device today. Looking forward to just putting it in D and enjoying the benefits of 6th gear. NOTE: My around the town mileage in M5 is equal or better than what I was getting around town in V4.

I saw another thread about battery drain when leaving Range plugged in after shutting the truck off. Does it drain the battery or is that unrelated/coincidence?

Edited by TedH

I saw another thread about battery drain when leaving Range plugged in after shutting the truck off. Does it drain the battery or is that unrelated/coincidence?

Mine has run my battery down. Took about two days to do it.

Mine has run my battery down. Took about two days to do it.

I'll watch it closely on mine once I install. Longest I normally leave my truck sit is over the weekend (if I don't have anything going on). Battery is now 4 years old (sold new to orig owner late 2013 and I bought in Apr '16) and in FL, that is about due for replacement (sun/heat).

I'll watch it closely on mine once I install. Longest I normally leave my truck sit is over the weekend (if I don't have anything going on). Battery is now 4 years old (sold new to orig owner late 2013 and I bought in Apr '16) and in FL, that is about due for replacement (sun/heat).

My new battery went from friday to sunday and was dead. I bet over the weekend yours is toast too.

I'm running one in my 2017 with no issues so far (350 miles with it plugged in).

Make sure you get the latest software version (8.x) directly from Range.

I tried a 7.8V and it kicked a check engine light.

I really like the way it drives with the AFM disabled. I used one in my 2013 and my wife's 2014 Tahoe prior to this.