Seat Movement Issues

There is 946 posts, trying to be spared reading through 946 posts

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

look under your seat from the driver side footwell... put a piece of rubber (mine cut from rubber hose) and a hose clamp TIGHT to each side where the white "dodad gadget" is...

seat fixed!!!

2exms8h.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, lets do this.

First, acquire the retainer part. I got mine for $5.08 to the door.

attachicon.gif20170616_104234.jpg

For 2014-2015, just pop the retainer on the seat bar and put a zip tie around it like the last picture in the PIT5542 doc posted above (post #910).

For 2016+:

Use some painters tape to outline where you will cut to make the retainer look like the modded one from the GM doc:

attachicon.gif20170616_104939.jpg

You'll see the molded seam mentioned in the doc.

Clamp it lightly into a vice or hold it with vice grips. Either way, be sure that it is stable so you don't F yourself up. I used a towel around a small vice so as not to damage the retainer when clamping it:

attachicon.gif20170616_105149.jpg

Use a grinder or cutting tool or even a sharp pair of dykes or razor knife (Without cutting yourself. always cut away from your body). I used a small cutter wheel attachment in a drill:

attachicon.gif20170616_110010.jpg

At first, I wasn't sure if I was to cut only one side until I tried to put it on. The "welded" bracket tabs mentioned in the PIT5542 will most contact the rear of the retainer. Cut both sides the same way and trim away the slag.

attachicon.gif20170616_115002.jpg

I had to trim mine back a little bit after the initial cut as the retainer wouldn't sit flush. You'll know what looks right and what doesn't when you go to fit it on. Trim back little by little until it fits nice. Move your seat up or down until the retainer sits even with the white guide block (you'll know it when you see it).

attachicon.gif20170616_120205.jpg

Install a zip tie (I used two since they fit) and trim the tail(s).

That's all there is to it. I haven't had time to test it out yet, but that's the full GM dealer fix right there so if this doesn't work then we'll have to figure something else out. For me it was worth the five bucks and doing it myself so as not to waste time and have a dealer monkey crawl around my truck or have them tell me "couldn't replicate problem".

Cheers.

thanks for the post made it really simple quick fix parts from the dealer 3.23 finally fixed !!

Drop my 2016 off at the dealer for the second seat frame replacement in 18k miles.

UPDATE:

I dropped off the truck, dealer called me a few hours later giving a strange conflicting story about how the tech who replaced my original seat base "forgot to put the bolts back on, which is why it was rocking back and forth. We replaced the bolts and that tightened it right up". That makes absolutely no sense to me because after the original seat base was replaced, I had complete rock solid zero movement for a couple thousand miles. The forward rocking was a progressive sensation that got worse over time. The service writer also that tech was no longer employed there. Then, in a stumbling confused explanation he said the new tech on this job wasn't heavy enough to reproduce the 'complaint' so a heaver tech had to road test my truck. He said they drove a brand new truck off the lot and mine back to back and the seat rocking is normal expected movement from the power seat base. Wait....whaaaaat? The movement that I initially brought the truck in for, is unchanged from when I dropped it off. And when I initially brought up the second seat base movement issue during a regular service appointment, the service writer and tech both agreed the seat base was broken and needed to be replaced.

My service invoice says "TORE DRIVERS SEAT APART AND FOUND NO VISUAL EVIDENCE OF ANY CAUSE FOR CONCERN. TEST DROVE SEVERAL TIMES AND HAD SHOP FOREMAN RIDE IN TRUCK. COMPARED TRUCK TO ANOTHER NEW TRUCK ON OUR LOTAND BELIEVE THE MOVEMENT IN THE CUSTOMERS SEAT IS COMPARABLE TO ANOTHER TRUCK WITH AN AUTOMATIC SEAT. DO NOT FEEL AT THIS TIME TEHRE IS ANY REPAIRS TO BE MADE."

No mention of the missing bolts.

I also asked them to check my transmission. I am having frequent very hard downshifts with loud clunks. It downshifts so hard it throws you forward. I am also having hard up shifts with a harsh bang and lunge sensation. The service invoice was noted "CUSTOMER STATES THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTS HARD - ALMOST AS IF IT BANGS INTO GEAR - ANY UPDATES AVALABLE? - CHECK AND ADVISE"

"TEST DROVE SEVERAL TIMES AND BELIEVE THAT THE NOISES RELATED TO THE SHIFTING ARE NORMAL DRIVE LINE CLUNK. DID NOT FEEL THE TRUCK BANGED INTO ANY GEARS AND IT SHIFTER RATHER SMOOTH. COMPARED TO ANOTHER TRUCK ON THE LOT AND FELT THEY WERE DRIVING THE SAME. CHECKED AND THE TRANSMISSION HAD THE LATEST CALIBRATION AND THERE WERE NO TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETINS. RELATED TO CUSTOMER'S CONCERN"

So there goes that. I am at the point where I feel it is time to start shopping for a different brand of truck.

• 3 weeks later...

***2nd update***

Seat movement has progressively gotten worse and I've had enough. So today I went to the dealer and without explaining why I was there, I got a sales consultant to show me a brand new Silverado. He seemed somewhat confused as to why I was only intrested in the driver seat so I explained why I was there. I drove the new truck and try to reproduce the seat movement. I asked him to watch the seat back for movement, it did not move. Then we went to my  I asked him to drive my truck, he opened the driver's door, grabbed the seat and moved it back and forth and said in in disbelief said "I don't even need to drive your truck this is not right and we're gonna make it right today." He went straight to the service manager and brought him out to the truck and show him what I was referring to by seat movement. 

I drop my truck off next Tuesday they promised to have it fixed.

• Like 1

I didn't go back and read all of this thread, but there are updated parts available from GM to correct issues of seat moving side to side during slow speed turns.  

There is also a bulletin on the issue. 

Maybe this has been posted before.

#PIT5542 - Front Seat Lateral Movement

An updated seat frame design  that incorporates welded bracket  to the seat frame pivot bar on each side of the white block.  This helps reduce the excessive lateral seat movement. 

Mine was doing the side-to-side movement everyday.

Since the PIT was applied  about 4 month ago the the problem has not recurred. 

2016 1500 Silverado LT2 with 15,000miles equipped with leather power seat(s). Drivers seat bottom shifts side to side and makes noise when turning and also the back part of seat doesn't tilt up and down evenly. when i try to adjust the back (tilt forward or back) the rightside will tilt further forward or back until i tilt it all the way forward or upright than i have to tilt it backwards. it also seems where the back meets the bottom of seat the gap isn't even. i.e. ether the bottom part of seat is shifted or the back shifted.  

before i go to the dealer and they tell me "we cant replicate the problem" or its normal (just like my shake @ idle- learned to deal with that one) i would like to know if i should be push for new seat or ask for a specific fix? i really dont care what they do as long as they can make it right. 

any help appreciated. i tried to find the PSA but had no luck. 

Edited by Maritime1

They most likely won't replace the entire seat, they replace the frame or install the replacement parts as stated in previous posts. I guess it depends on what the find or admit to finding. 

My fix with the new P/N clip back on page 62 worked good for a few thousand miles, but started loosening up again like some predicted. I bought a #20 1 3/4'' hose clamp from Home Depot and put it around the GM clip and synched it down. Much tighter than the two plastic zip ties I had holding it in place before.

I'd have to image a GM clip and a hose clamp combo is the ultimate fix here apart from a redesigned seat frame.