Seat Movement Issues

Same issue on a 2016 with 4600 miles. Physically showed the tech after he couldn't hear/feel anything. Hour went by and they concluded they couldn't reproduce the results...

It's literally bad enough to move the seat with your hands pushing left and right at the base. I mentioned the PIT5542 document and he said that wasn't the correct format for their TSB.

He's going to research it and let me know if he finds anything...

Let me know what you find, as I am going to be going in for the same issue as all of you. Is this something GM is covering outside of bumper to bumper warranty?

They just did the clamp/zip tie on mine and I'm doubting it will work, I have 750 miles on my 2014, yes you read that right 750, got so disgusted I parked it in my garage and left it sit. Going back this morning to have the B pillar trim panel replaced because it got scratched taking the seat out of the truck. Seriously tired of all the recalls over the years and I used to work at Delphi in Engineering so I had to answer the quality issues then from manufacturing but that is apparently a dead art. GM is turning a deaf ear to this stuff, I'm ready to buy a Honda Ridgeline. I have purchased 6 new trucks off of GM and I think this will be my last. No excuse for this problem to be all the way into the 2016 trucks and the fix I watched happen on my truck is a joke.If GM is reading this how about you offer to take this truck back?

The mechanic I have is excellent, dealership incredible, they all are trying very hard, GM is not and the only surveys I get are about the dealership which has nothing to do with design flaws. You have 6 sigma and Shanin red X experts on your staff perform a root cause analysis, look at your DFMEA and PFMEA and fix things!

I traded my 14 LTZ in due to all of the recalls and the quality of their fix for the seatbelt recall, they used a knife to cut out around the cable they needed to install where attached by the door. Then I got another recall for the airbag, I didn't have enough confidence in their repair methods to allow them to execute the recall so I traded it in with 32000 miles on it. I did not enjoy opening the door and looking at the hack job given to me as a fix and I've never traded in a truck still under the factory warranty before. Kind of sad when you spend 50K on a truck and get the type of treatment I experienced. Research showed mine was made in Mexico and I wonder if that may have been part of the problem along with it being a first year of a new product. Hopefully I won't experience that again.

• 3 weeks later...

I traded my 14 LTZ in due to all of the recalls and the quality of their fix for the seatbelt recall, they used a knife to cut out around the cable they needed to install where attached by the door. Then I got another recall for the airbag, I didn't have enough confidence in their repair methods to allow them to execute the recall so I traded it in with 32000 miles on it. I did not enjoy opening the door and looking at the hack job given to me as a fix and I've never traded in a truck still under the factory warranty before. Kind of sad when you spend 50K on a truck and get the type of treatment I experienced. Research showed mine was made in Mexico and I wonder if that may have been part of the problem along with it being a first year of a new product. Hopefully I won't experience that again.

The root cause of most of issues that you have experienced is insufficient quality control, both at parts manufacturing phase and during the vehicle assembly phase. Manufacturing vehicles in other countries often makes it more difficult to enforce adequate quality control, even if it is in place.

• 1 month later...

I'm about to go out to the garage and crawl around the problem and see what I can determine. Hoping to conjure up a fix. 2016 with 12,000 miles. 3 position cloth bench with no cooling/heating...etc. Been doing it since probably 5,000. If they redesigned the seat to fix this as mentioned in this thread, then they didn't do a good job or I got a leftover 2015 seat since my truck was built November 2015.

Doesn't seem like a lot of internet info about 2016+ fixes.

Edited by Epsilon Plus

Its really tough to get an idea of whats going on down there. Lots of rivet style attachments which could mean if any of them weren't done perfectly tight they could have a little play with no ability to use a driver or socket to tighten. The seat cover looks like it grips the assembly with press fit style slip over clamps. Looks easy to change out the seat cover if needed, but I noticed a slight popping play in the right side on one that could be causing the issue.

The hard part is that you can generally rock and beat the crap out of it with your hands while parked and the whole thing seems solid. Hop in and take one turn and CLICK you slide to one side. Another hard part to nail down is that if I move the seat controls around and find a different position it usually gives a temp. fix to the whole thing but always shows back up. Again, looking under the seat and grabing and shaking the crap out of everything, it all feels really solid. They way it pops and slides when I'm sitting in it would make you think and obvious loose point would be easy to find.

All of this is likely why dealers have such a hard time trying to fix it. The techs are trained in auto repair and such but they are just regular Joe's like us so expecting them to be power driver seat track fitment experts is a stretch.

I'll keep messing with it and try to get to the bottom of it. I'd rather not dock my truck in some long wait line at the dealer just to have it looked at and just to have them say they can't fix it. That's a last resort if I can't manage to fix it.

Took it out for a drive after all that hand massaging I gave it and its rock solid still. I know it won't last forever, but man it's making it hard to track down. The only thing I can think of is it is the entire seat track assembly and the rivets used to fasten it. I can foresee GM having to replace my assembly in order to cure it. They might have had a bad batch of seat frame fitment QC go through or something. Difficult all around to track down. If I ever fix it or get it fixed, I'll update.

This looks like a GM doc dealing with the issue and lists all years of K2XX up to current (2017).

Its a locked doc (cant copy/paste) but describes that for 14-15, retainers were designed to stop the movement. For 16-17, a new welded bar was added that was supposed to stop it. It goes on to say that regardless of year, they couldn't get their shit together and developed a hokey way to fix it by trimming the seat pan and installing another retainer part. It's all in the doc, pics and all. Print it out and take it to your dealer.

Attached.

PIT5542.pdf

PIT5542.pdf

PIT5542.pdf

PIT5542.pdf

Edited by Epsilon Plus
  • Like 1

My 3 year warranty expires on Friday. I am experiencing this seat shift issue with my 2014 silverado. Should I just install the hose clamps or should I take it to the dealer for their fix? The hose clamps look fairly fool proof.

Thoughts?

Take it to the dealer and have them do the PIT listed above.

It involves trimming the seat pan and installing a GM part.

If you miss the warranty, try the clamps.

My seat is currently behaving so I haven't brought it in yet. I expect they will turn me away if it isn't in obvious mode. If I can't get them to bite, I will do the full procedure myself and buy the part from my favrite GM part supplier. Who knows, I may just do that anyway. I'm not fond of anyone except me touching my vehicles in any fashion.

Take it to the dealer and have them do the PIT listed above.

It involves trimming the seat pan and installing a GM part.

If you miss the warranty, try the clamps.

My seat is currently behaving so I haven't brought it in yet. I expect they will turn me away if it isn't in obvious mode. If I can't get them to bite, I will do the full procedure myself and buy the part from my favrite GM part supplier. Who knows, I may just do that anyway. I'm not fond of anyone except me touching my vehicles in any fashion.

I just put the hose clamps on at lunch hour yesterday. Working well so far. Knock on wood.

^^^^^^

Good luck with the fix. Hope it works.

After looking at the picture and reading the PIT again, it looks like the trimming is done on the retainer part they use, not the seat pan. Looks fairly easy to modify and install.

I'll end up doing this one myself and posting pics here. Ordering the part today. $2.24 part.

Edited by Epsilon Plus