Do You Wait For The Oil Change Reminder In Your GM?

Gorehamj

When I sold my 2012 Colorado 4 cylinder 4X4 regular cab on eb*y. I got my asking price.

And interestingly my neighbors and peers told me that I would never get that price for a used Chevrolet truck.

I created a "picture" of the OnStar oil change chart. The one with the green solid columns that showed the percentage of oil time left.

I never went below 85%. That is - I only used less then 15% of oil life. For the time I owned the truck.

One tidbit that made the sale easier and quicker.

Yup...the Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Here's a copy paste for more info.:

APPLICATIONS

AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF is recommended for transmissions and other applications that require any of the following specifications:

Ford MERCON* LV, SP; GM DEXRON* VI, DEXRON* HP; Aisin-Warner AW-1; BMW 83 22 0 142 516, 83 22 2 152 426, Dsih 6p805; Honda DW-1*; Hyundai/Kia SP-IV, SPH-IV, SP-IV-RR, NSW-9638, SP4-M; JASO 1A-LV; JWS 3324; Chrysler Mopar* P/N 68157995A, SP-IV; Mercedes-Benz 236.12, 236.14, 236.15, 236.41; Mitsubishi SP-IV, ATF J3, ATF-PA; Nissan Matic-S, Matic-W; Saab 93 165 147; Shell M-1375.4, M-1375.5, M-1375.6, M-L 12108; Toyota WS; Volkswagen/Audi G 055 005, G 055 162, G 060 162 ,G 052 540; Volvo 31256774, ZF S671 090 255

AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF is backward compatible and replaces DEXRON III fluids in older GM automatic transmissions. (DEXRON VI specification supersedes the obsolete DEXRON III in GM vehicles.)

DEXOS list not DEXRON.

AMSOIL is not on the List of dexos1™ Brands

AMSOIL engine oils, 0w-20, 5w-30 meet/exceed the dexos1™ but they are not on the official GM Licensing list

DEXOS list not DEXRON.

AMSOIL is not on the List of dexos1™ Brands

AMSOIL engine oils, 0w-20, 5w-30 meet/exceed the dexos1™ but they are not on the official GM Licensing list

Ahh...I stand corrected!

Thank you!

Are you an Amsoil dealer?

Yes I am.

I didn't mean to sound harsh, just wanted to make sure everyone was on the correct page.

Nah...not harsh, it would be harsh if you didn't set the record straight. My info was taken from the Amsoil website, but I didn't realize Dexos was not Dexron.

And I was looking at Transmission oil, and not motor oil, so all is cool.

Harsh would also be having the wrong lubricant in your motor.

However, now I'm bummed since I wanted to change over to Amsoil...always used it and will continue to use it...where I can.

Nah...not harsh, it would be harsh if you didn't set the record straight. My info was taken from the Amsoil website, but I didn't realize Dexos was not Dexron.

And I was looking at Transmission oil, and not motor oil, so all is cool.

Harsh would also be having the wrong lubricant in your motor.

However, now I'm bummed since I wanted to change over to Amsoil...always used it and will continue to use it...where I can.

Dexos is a licensing for a specification. Several oil companies have decided to not to buy the license, but their oil still meets that specification. Basically GM is using the license to ensure that they wont have an inferior oil causing warranty issues.

In theory, if you use an oil the meets or exceeds the specification then you should have no issues from oil.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Until a month ago I had a 2000 Yukon that I bought new and put 391k miles on. Towards the end, the oil pump started failing. I changed the oil myself religiously every 3k miles, sometimes as often as once a month depending on how much I was driving. I loved that vehicle and it probably would've kept going if I'd kept it. After considering a new one, I couldn't justify spending 70k-75k for a vehicle I paid less that half that for just 16 years ago. I ended up with a used 2012 Tahoe with 75k miles and I love it. Except for the AFM. I can really notice the difference sometimes. I'm using Mobil 1 full synthetic and changing it every 5k. Also get an oil test done yearly just to see how the engine is wearing. If anyone has a 2000 or so Yukon in decent shape that they want to part with, PM me.

Until a month ago I had a 2000 Yukon that I bought new and put 391k miles on. Towards the end, the oil pump started failing. I changed the oil myself religiously every 3k miles, sometimes as often as once a month depending on how much I was driving. I loved that vehicle and it probably would've kept going if I'd kept it. After considering a new one, I couldn't justify spending 70k-75k for a vehicle I paid less that half that for just 16 years ago. I ended up with a used 2012 Tahoe with 75k miles and I love it. Except for the AFM. I can really notice the difference sometimes. I'm using Mobil 1 full synthetic and changing it every 5k. Also get an oil test done yearly just to see how the engine is wearing. If anyone has a 2000 or so Yukon in decent shape that they want to part with, PM me.

. Too bad about the oil pump.....several threads on here about disabling the AFM. I use a hypertech programmer so I can set it to only come on at high speeds and adjust to my liking. Most programmers and the range device just turn it off 100% of the time. Either way Mobil1 changed at 5000 miles is probably overkill for highway driving on a 2012 GM engine. I am sure that you have your reasons.

• 4 weeks later...

I drive about 9K a year, most of it is less than 30 miles at a time. I go by the DIS and use 5-W30 Quaker State Hi Mileage. Vehicle has 166K+. I also keep an eye on the gauges, oil pressure, coolant temp, battery charge, etc. Gauges will tell you more than the DIS will. I run about 100 miles over this time around had it serviced today. Maybe I should have had it done sooner as I blew a brake line on the way home. Good thing I am not a hard driver. I believe is easy breaking and easy starting. I don't need to listen to any straight pipes to kill the gas mileage. Set of brakes will usually run me close to 35K miles. My daughter tell me "Dad, no body drives like that any more". Wanna bet - I do.

I have decided that on any new vehicles from here forward that i will change the original factory oil at between 500 and 1000 miles. All manufacturing processes including engine assembly will have some foreign particles be it gasket sealer / thread anti seize / metal shavings etc. That would seem to be the most critical thing to do. I agree that the new oils have much different properties from the 60's and should theoretically last for 12000 miles dependent upon driving conditions.. I will probably go by the Oil Life Monitor on mine from the first oil change forward unless I see a black looking oil on the dipstick or find some data that tells me that the GM Engineers are plotting to make us destroy our engines so we have to buy a new truck very few years. I guess that could be considered a form of Job Security....

Ditto on dumping first fill at 1000ish miles, its coming up soon.

then every 5000 from then out

• 2 weeks later...

I just sold my 3rd truck (258,000 miles totaI) that had the OLM. If I was to go by the 3,000 mile rule, I'd be under the truck more than in the cab. I follow the OLM, use Pennzoil synthetic & AC or WIX filters.

I had a '94 K1500 & changed the oil & filter ever 3,000 miles & sold it w/ just over 100,000 miles in 6 years. That's 33 oil changes! I've got better things to do w/ my time.

• 3 weeks later...

I still have my 2003 Silverado with a 5.3, It has gone through a few transformations, some upgrades not listed in my outdated sig, but the Change oil dummy light almost always comes up prior to me changing it. The truck still uses no oil between oil changes at 145k, I use Mobil 1 5w-30 full syn each oil change and change it every 5000 miles, but the dummy light in my older truck that either uses miles or hours as an indicator goes off about 500-1000 miles earlier than I plan on changing it. But, key to start and 3 floored gas pedals remedy's it for me.

Sat through a class given by a Mobile 1 tech where I work. I work in a chemical plant where pumps run 24/7. They lock out and change oil in them once a year. They sit outside in -20 to 100 degrees. I asked the guy about oil change intervals in autos and he said factory recommendations are fine. I will follow his lead. I never did in the past though.

• Like 1