Well that was a short lived system! The Alpine headunit just didn't have enough processing to do what I wanted to do and I never really used all the other features so I am going back to the stock headunit with a dsp or possibly an amp/dsp combo. Nasty sent me a set of the Mercury components he's using to try out along with the a pillar tweeter pods so Ill he giving those a try next.

IMG_3012.thumb.JPG.2302d54779db0ee07141c90195dd493b.JPG

• Like 2

Pods fit the pillars perfectly however I cannot get the pillars back in due to the lower portion hitting the dash so I'm gonna have to trim where the tape is as well as the bottom edge for them to work (I'm just using smaller chambered tweeters so it should be fine however I'm not sure how well these will work with mini mids)

image.thumb.jpg.866b85e446e376c6b93db240db924574.jpg

After trimming the pods I was able get the pillar back in however another issue arose. The pod is stated to be aimed 6" in front of the headunit at center and slightly upward which I found from my previous experimenting would work fine however they are actually aimed right at the top center of headunit and slightly downward which is definitely not going to work. My guess is something goofed in production (these are made on a 3D printer) and I brought it to the attention of the maker several days ago however the only reply was they may have been a pre production design so I'll withhold judgement on these until or if the issue is resolved. 

IMG_3030.thumb.JPG.5887886c651e3f894bc4428e67b11844.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sprayed my a-pillars black using SEM Bumper Coater as recommended by the automotive paint shop owner since it did not need adhesion promoter and is more durable. 

IMG_3149.thumb.PNG.e9d9702ed41ac59d1506bdf86b5a8739.PNG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to post this is what I used on the a pillars per the recommendation of the paint shop owner. As simple as scuff, wash off/dry and spray several light coats. Also, if you get fiber snags from a cheap micro fiber cloth as I did you can knock them off easily with the scuff pad and spray another light coat. 

image.thumb.jpg.44dd60d757283720789e4edeaf5ec4b5.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Marv, I can't adequately express how similar our tastes are.  I didn't look at all 29 pages of this yet... I smiled as you blacked out your front badge... nearly spit out my drink when I saw you got a bed rug.  By the end of the summer, I'll be adding a bed rug too.

I'm next to positive someone must have asked you this already but being that I'm amazed you not only got a tire that wide to fit, but did so on a dropped truck... how does it NOT rub something?  With as good as it looks I wouldn't even care about rub...  I want to eventually take out my 2 inch front level and drop the back.

Thanks man, Matt

--------EDIT-------   FOUND MY ANSWER ON YOUR WHEELS....  can't hardly believe it, but I love it!

Edited by ShortyMatt
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 12:25 PM, ShortyMatt said:

Marv, I can't adequately express how similar our tastes are.  I didn't look at all 29 pages of this yet... I smiled as you blacked out your front badge... nearly spit out my drink when I saw you got a bed rug.  By the end of the summer, I'll be adding a bed rug too.

I'm next to positive someone must have asked you this already but being that I'm amazed you not only got a tire that wide to fit, but did so on a dropped truck... how does it NOT rub something?  With as good as it looks I wouldn't even care about rub...  I want to eventually take out my 2 inch front level and drop the back.

Thanks man, Matt

--------EDIT-------   FOUND MY ANSWER ON YOUR WHEELS....  can't hardly believe it, but I love it!

305 is fine on these trucks. And marv only has 2 inch drop shackles in the back.  

There is a few guys here with the same size tire on a 4/6 drop. Youll hit the bump stops before anything 

A little Fathers Day gift from my daughter who knows I'm an old school chrome kinda guy but wasn't willing to pay the ridiculous 600 bucks for a plastic chrome LTZ grill. I prefer to make my mods look like they could have been done at the factory and I think this fits since it is an exact duplicate of the factory grill  in a chrome overlay as opposed to a "custom" look like the mesh ones etc. I think it will look better once I have the new front bumper color matched (I found a ready to paint steel bumper for not much more than those paintable covers they make) and I'll most likely leave the rear bumper chrome to kinda mimic the'73 Corvette  look. 

IMG_3328.thumb.JPG.faaaa02996d776b73c2d9abe4c3c6db0.JPG

IMG_3326.thumb.JPG.5ca665ba260ea5351d15031d4e2e971b.JPG

• Like 1

Getting started on the new system. I decided to keep the factory headunit  to use with a JL Audio TwK 88 signal processor and will keep the JL 13tw5 as well as xd700/5v2 5 channel amp. Fully active front stage will be my Japanese version Alpine DLX-F30T ring radiator tweeters and most likely my ScanSpeak Revelator mids. I found the TwK 88 will in fact allow me to manipulate the inputs to provide a Left minus Right signal as well as has 20+ milliseconds of delay and bandpass crossover for "proper" rear fill so I'll be setting that up using the factory speakers with an Alpine compact amplifier. 

IMG_3059.thumb.JPG.f8e5e0b16ae6b745528d584811962210.JPG

IMG_3339.thumb.PNG.297d259133caf64f5baf3094f817126a.PNG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, qwank said:

That JL stuff is great, I didn't use the TWK , but my JL amp does everything else that it does besides the signal correction.  

It's not in the manual for the twk or vxi however I called JL and found you can in fact manipulate the software to perform that function like on the Mosconi dsp's. I'll post the process if you like when I get it done. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marv88 said:

It's not in the manual for the twk or vxi however I called JL and found you can in fact manipulate the software to perform that function like on the Mosconi dsp's. I'll post the process if you like when I get it done. 

Its been 4 hours.  Update? :)

4 hours ago, Nasty said:

Its been 4 hours.  Update? :)

Lol! I haven't had a chance to install it yet but I should this week. 

• Like 1