How many engine hours on your truck?

Hey guys,

I just purchased a 2015 Silverado Crew Z71 4x4 at a large dealer in Orlando FL. It only has 8,500 miles on it. The truck looks brand new. I crawled under it checking for excessive off road use and it's immaculate. All the service was done at the same dealer it was sold- 2 oil changes basically. To me it was the perfect used truck to buy. As I was going through the user menu- I noticed the engine hours was unchecked to display, so I checked it and it has 460 hours! I'm very concerned with this as it seems extremely high for a truck with 8500 miles. Not sure if the dealer knew this and intentionally unchecked the engine hours to appear or if they come that way but would anyone be kind enough to share how many hours/miles are on their truck?

I"m concerned as I bought this truck hoping to keep for years and years and now I'm wondering with so many idle hours if the engine, coolant system, etc. will be short lived?

Thank you very much for your help,

Brendon

That's a little high, but nothing to worry about...

Divide the the two and that will tell you the miles per hour average. In a former life, a batch of us (former) Dodge guys did this with our Cummins trucks, most of us were in the mid 20mph range, with me as a high with 32mph (I drove cross country quite a bit). It just means your truck idled a little more than normal (probably sitting in traffic being from Orlando or just idling with the AC running), but 460 hours is nothing really.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

460 hours is not bad. 18 mph average. Gotta remember these things are idling more thanks to remote start and people wanting their vehicle warm or cold before they get in it. Isn't like 20 minutes you can get out of remote start? Times at least twice per day maybe........ times how many days per week

Quit having a heart attack

Edited by txab
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

The way I see it, most often those trucks that have low miles and high hours are the ones that have had rougher lives. I.E. less highway, more offroad, more sitting idling on "jobsites" and simlar.

The 2005 K1500 that I inherited from my Dad a couple of years ago has always had a wonky hour meter, it never has seemed right, a couple of months ago it reset itself to 0 hours on it's own, driver can not do that, but oh well that era of Silvy's was well known for inaccurate hour meters. That said I would like to see a feature for engine hours , 2 settings,  one for total hours that the driver/owner could not change much like the odometer, the other one could be reset to keep track of service intervals like oil changes and such, but that's just the old farm boy in me.

I've seen diesel trucks from Labrador with meters pinned to 9999.9 and they still run nicely.  The last one I did was from Churchill Falls with way over a milllon kilometers.

• Like 1

My 15 has 31,500 miles and 905 on the hour meter.  That works out to an average speed of 34.8 mph.  Seems a bit low for most of the driving I do.  Average will probably climb the longer I own it.  I just got it a couple months ago.

Mine was reset at some point in the past, otherwise it's average speed works out to 76 mph!  At last fill up it had used 8,298 gallons.  Fuel economy has gone down since bringing it to Florida, no more Appalachian hills to coast down; it was 15.4 mpg when I got it.

• 1 year later...