Zane

RUMOR MILL: Is GM Cooking Up A High Performance LT4 Equipped Escalade & Silverado?

LT4_Crate_Engine.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor / Publisher, GM-Trucks.com

February 12th, 2019

An exciting but anything-but-confirmed rumor has started to swirl around the GM performance community recently. Here's two completely independent reports I read in the last 24 hours. 

So I heard that late 2019 to 2020 there’s supposed to be a new ss Silverado release and only in arrival blue, birch, red and blk. Let’s hope and see.

Escalade V is apparently actually happening..with an LT4

With the sheer number of white collar jobs currently being "resized" at GM, it's no surprise that anyone working on future product development might feel a little salty and inclined to chat about the projects they were working on. Does this mean these products are in development? MAYBE. We see three likely options. 

Option 1- The Rumors Are True: That means the next generation Escalade will get a V-Series variant with the 650-horsepower Supercharged 6.2L LT4.  If that platform was packaged for the Escalade, slapping it into a Silverado and calling it an SS would be child's play and the most likely next move. GM has been criticized for lacking a true performance truck for a long time and this could make up for the absence.

Option 2- The Rumors Were True: But not anymore. In this scenario, the leakers who knew about the projects were let go because the projects were canceled. This is also a likely option. 

Option 3- The Rumors Are Not True: The whole thing was made up and taken out of context by hopeful GM Performance Enthusiasts (myself included). It was wishful thinking anyways...

Stay tuned to find out exactly which option it was. Maybe it's option #4?

Regardless of truth or fact, it is exciting to discuss no matter what!

I wish this engine were available in a Trail Boss or AT4 or similar package to a Raptor or RAM Rebel Hellcat. Why not GM?????

Hopefully the "SS" truck will be better than that of the 2003 and up GMT 800 SS.

• Thanks 1

If they really build a Silverado with this motor it will probably only be available in a High Country and will cost $75,000+.

I'm sure there are plenty of buyers for this setup though. They should build this truck. 

The Escalade will probably be North of $100,000.🙄

$100K pickups and SUVs

Ryan B.

• Sad 1

They'd **** it up and only put it in a crew cab. Rather than make fun and offer it in a RCSB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They'd **** it up and only put it in a crew cab. Rather than make fun and offer it in a RCSB. 

I can guarantee it will not be available in the reg cab especially when the 6.2 isn’t and that’s what the LT4 is

Ryan B.
  • Like 1

Sure that makes sense. Put your most powerful motor in your largest school buss want'-a-be and load it with so much crap you might as well buy a RCSB with 4.3 and supercharge it. Be just about as many takers. 

Hear there building a new Motel 6 east of town for all these rumors too! Tom Bodett is actually going to be running it. 

We'll keep the lights on for either rumor.  :lurk:

6.2 fits in the regular cab, a **** up is still a **** up. Leave it to GM to waste the LT4's potential by putting it in the heaviest half tons and SUV's. GM wasted potential isn't even surprising anymore. 

Edited by Daly
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

If they really build a Silverado with this motor it will probably only be available in a High Country and will cost $75,000+.

I'm sure there are plenty of buyers for this setup though. They should build this truck. 

The Escalade will probably be North of $100,000.🙄

Escalades are already currently "North" of 100k

Example:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/761180229/overview/

• Like 1

Or they will screw it up by making it AWD like the last SS! Well with Mary in charge I guess we just need to be thankful it would not be electric! They would be called a SPARKY SPORT instead of a Super Sport!

• Haha 1

I can live with awd, 4wd would be better. Nice for traction and smokey burnouts. The Typhoon and syclone were awd and nice little street beasts. A RCSB 4wd LT4, with a factory drop would be nice. And do it like the trail boss, an upscaled LT or a basic Custom option. Bring back the cheap performance options. I don't need all the bells and whistles with my performance. I'm good with just pw,pl,cruise, A/C and about 500-550hp. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daly said:

I can live with awd, 4wd would be better. Nice for traction and smokey burnouts. The Typhoon and syclone were awd and nice little street beasts. A RCSB 4wd LT4, with a factory drop would be nice. And do it like the trail boss, an upscaled LT or a basic Custom option. Bring back the cheap performance options. I don't need all the bells and whistles with my performance. I'm good with just pw,pl,cruise, A/C and about 500-550hp. 

My first car was a Typhoon... :thumbs:

I still have my Maggie Supercharged Quadrasteer Denali.  It's got similar power to the L86/L87 '19, but a lot less interesting to drive.  A double-edged sword.  The main reason I'd rather it had 4WD though is the 9mpg city, 13mpg highway.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Zane
      Now that owners are taking delivery of the new 2019 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra, I thought a quick reference guide to common routine maintenance items would be beneficial to us all. If you have information that you'd like suggest be added to this topic, just post below and I'll update this first post with any and all new/updated information. 

2019 Chevy Silverado & 2019 GMC Sierra Routine Maintenance Quick Reference Guide
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digital Owners Manuals
      2019 Chevrolet Silverado: 2019_Chevy_Silverado_Owners_Manual.pdf
      2019 GMC Sierra: 2019_GMC_Sierra_Owners_Manual.pdf

Oil Changes
      2.7L(L3B)
      Capacity: 6.0 Quarts AC Delco Oil Filter: PF66 / 55495105 Drain Plug Size: TBD  
      5.3L(L84) & 6.2L(L87)
      Capacity: 8.0 Quarts AC Delco Oil Filter: PF63E / 19330000 Drain Plug Size: 15MM or XX Torx  
      Engine Air Filters
      With High Capacity Air Cleaner: A3244C / 84121219 Without High Capacity Air Cleaner: A3246C / 84121217  
      Interior Filters
      Passenger Compartment Air Filter: CF185  
      Wiper Blades
      Drivers & Passenger Sides: 55cm / 21.7 Inches - GM Part Number 23417074  
      Spark Plugs
      2.7L L4: 12688094 / 41-106-IP 4.3L V6: 12622441 / 41-114 5.3L V8 & 6.2L V8: 12622441 / 41-114  
      Fuel Tank Sizes
      Standard / Short Box (Gas & 4WD Duramax): 24 Gallons Standard & Short Box (2WD Duramax): 22 Gallons  
      Automatic Transmission Fluid
      6-Speed: DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid 8-Speed: DEXRON-HP Automatic Transmission Fluid 10-Speed: DEXRON ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid (GM Part Number 19352619/Canada 19352620)  
      Transfer Case Fluid
      All Models: 1.6 Quarts DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid  
      Wheel Lug Nut Torque
      All Models: 140 lb-ft / 190 N-m
    • By VictorLin0725
      Curious to know who in this forum has the highest mileage truck. Just took delievery of my new 2018 truck with the 5.3 V8 and 6 speed tranny and wondering how long I should expect it to last? Coming from a Toyota with about 350k kms I have set the bar pretty high haha. Feel free to post the year of your truck with the # of miles and what repairs/replacements you have done to date. Trying to get a little thread going about mileage and what people have been able to get. Since this is a 2014 forum I'm not expecting massive numbers, but I know some of my friends with Rams that have had engines and transmissions break down at 50k-80k kms (moment of silence for Ram owners) Ford seems to be doing a bit better in terms of major issues. If there's already a thread regarding this issue please redirect me to that one 
    • By Zane

Zane & Josh Merva
      The Merva Brothers - Co/Founders, GM-Trucks.com

GM-Trucks.com is always trying to stay on the bleeding edge of General Motors vehicles and the aftermarket accessories that owners install on them. That’s why we occasionally purchase long term pickups to better understand the ownership experience of these extremely popular vehicles. Our last truck, a 2011 GMC Sierra All Terrain, continues to serve us well all these years later, but became outdated in 2014 when the K2 generation of trucks was produced. We never had a chance to purchase a 2014-2018 Silverado but had a half dozen close friends who let us work on theirs.  

So when GM announced that the 2019 model year Silverado and Sierra would be brand spankin' new, we knew we had to have one. Thus, a year long effort was set into motion during the Winter of 2017-2018. Internally, GM-Trucks.com declared war on the 2019 Silverado. We could cover it, we would own it, we would be THE place for owners of the T1XX generation to call home. To do that, we had to have one ourselves. 

We saw the surprise unveiling, followed trim level news, ordering information, factory startup, placed an order the first day we could, then waited (not so) patiently for it to arrive. In September 2018 we took delivery of our new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ. Here it is a few seconds after the first time we saw it.

What’s the plan?
      We’re going to make our new Silverado work for us and you. Over the next few years we plan on transforming our truck, installing loads of aftermarket parts, and reviewing everything in the process.

Our thought process behind this Project Truck is simple. We originally wanted to buy a Silverado Trail Boss but found that Chevy wouldn’t let us get it with the all new 6.2L V8. That engine and the brand new 10-speed transmission was reserved for those who purchased an LTZ or High Country. With the 6.2L being more important, we acquiesced and ordered a more expensive LTZ instead.  Thus, our mission to replicate the Trail Boss’s off-road stance and beefed up attitude but with a legendary 6.2L engine and a more luxurious take on things was born. We've decided to call it….

Project Trail Beast

More than just a name, Project Trail Beast is a set of core vehicle modification goals that we’d like to accomplish with our 2019 Silverado LTZ. The ultimate goal is to create the truck that Chevy should have made… a Trail Boss with a 6.2L engine.  Thankfully, we’re not bound by factory parts anymore, so we can go a little more hardcore than Chevy would have. 

Our goals include:
      Suspension Lift: We’ll take our Silverado and raise it a modest 2-4 inches. More aggressive tires are a requirement and aftermarket rims are being considered to complement the higher stance without sacrificing driveability.  Beefed Up Performance: 420-horsepower stock isn’t bad…. but isn’t nearly enough. We’ll explore adding a supercharger to our 6.2L and work with leading brands to install performance intake and exhaust systems. We’ll also check in on the custom tuning scene and how the 2019 models can be modified on the inside.  Updated Lighting: Even though most of our Silverado has high tech LED lighting, there are still some conventional bulbs. We’ll replacement all with the latest LED tech and add additional illumination around our truck. Expect us to talk about and review industry players such as Sylvania and Baja Lights soon.  Utility Accessories: We'll explore bed covers, floor mats, security products, custom keyed locks, ceramic coatings, and a wide range of other accessories that any truck owner may use or need on their vehicle. From Adams Polishes to Husky Liners, we’ll look at what works and what does not.  GM Official Accessories: GM is upping their game and offering lots of performance and visual accessories right from the dealership. We opened up a parts account and immediately started buying. How do these products perform? Are they worth the price? We'll let you know  

Help Us Out! What Do You Want?
      Do you want a particular product reviewed? Can't decide on a truck safe? Or confused about Ceramic Coatings? Let us know! We’ll do our best to review anything we can on Project Trail Beast. Do you work for a company who has a product you’d like us to look at? We can do that too. 

What’s next?
      It's time to get installing. We have a fat pile of accessories we've already started to work on. Each product, each experience, we'll share with you. Stay tuned for more updates on Project Trail Beast. 

• By VictorLin0725
      Took delievery of my new GMC Yukok XL earlier today and had an odd question about the second row windows. Anyone know why the "whole" glass doesn't go down? There's that 3 inch vertial piece at the back that is fixed in place. Only reason I ask is because my buddy's Silverado doesn't have that piece and since they are built similarly why would the Yukon have that obtrusive piece there that takes away from the clean side profile? Love some insight on this, is it merely structural?

Cheers,
      Victor
    • By JediHauler
      I currently have a 2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 Diesel Crew Cab, short bed.  It's my perfect truck, it's exactly what I want, it's exactly what I need.  I have equity in it and I decided to refinance... It has 152K miles.  Bank said, you qualify for the loan but your truck doesn't : - (  Truck has to be under 125K miles.  It can be an older truck but not high miles.

So I'm in the market for basically the same thing but lower miles.  I'm wanting to keep my price down, cash in on some equity and keep my payments the same or lower.  If A truck at $20K gets my payments lower.  $25K my payments are the same.  $30K my payments go up.  I don't want to go over $30K unless there's a compelling reason to do so.

My truck gets used 4 to 6 times per month on average.  Either to haul hay or haul horses.  I'm leaning towards more of a ranch vehicle right now.  At the same time, I've got a 2011 and I'm not super excited about downgrading either.  I'd just keep mine but I need to take my equity and pay off some higher interest loans.

I'd appreciate some suggestions...

Here's what I've been looking at:
      A 2005 Silverado 3500 HD fully loaded for $20K with 123K miles on it.  The only thing it doesn't have is the exhaust brake which I can add.  Are the 2005's a good way to go?  This one is local.

Next one up is a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500 Extended Cab 116K miles for $25K

I'm looking at two 2013's -- a Sierra 3500 ext. cab for $30K with 120K miles (local) and a Silverado crew cab with 115K miles for $28K (8 hours away)

I drove a 2012 with 80K miles that I can probably get for around $34K  It's over my budget but what a nice truck!  This one is local

The best deal I've found is 3 hours away on a 2015 Silverado 2500LT for 30K with low miles.  If that one is still available I might have to go for it just because it's a great deal!

Only three of the trucks on this list are close by.  The best deals on this list I'd have to travel a couple hundred miles to get to 'em.

What are some other great years to consider?  Should I consider anything older than 2011?  The 2011 has all the factory built in towing features that I love.  But that 2005 is a really good deal on a nice truck too. 

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.