2015 Colorado and Canyon pricing announced

Josh

Here's what gets me.... people whine for small trucks... gm gives a small truck yet wants to be paid for it (and with inflation is in line with S10 pricing, and these trucks are way bigger and nicer with more safety ) and people say "I can buy a fullsize for that" Uh, yeah that's probably why they all quit selling small trucks...........

You can't give somebody less, charge a premium for it, and expect them to be happy ... no matter how dumbed down society is.

What's the point of downsizing when you can get a full size for $3k more?

Ram has a good thing going price wise with the Express.

Generally if the up front price is good, the resale side is horrible.

Then add $10-$12k off of higher end stuff, you may have to drive that Express 'til the wheels fall off.

Back to the Colorado/Canyon market. Read where... GM believes that both Chevy and GMC products will offer an interesting proposition to small-CUV shoppers.

If that is the case, cuv buyers will not be directly comparing full size to mid size trucks.

More at link... http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/29/gm-thinks-colorado-canyon-lure-cuv-buyers/

Personally think both trucks will be a small niche market aimed at meeting or offsetting CAFE standards.

With the latter being important in the equation, success is going to be more complicated to measure given

GM has no problem selling higher end Big V8 heavy trucks/SUV's.

• Like 1

So let me get this straight. These things are so far off a similarly priced Tacoma it isn't even funny? Well, a limited Tacoma is 36.4k with no options. A SLT canyon is 37.8k with maybe no options or might be loaded? A TRD sport is 33.7k, a Z71 is 34.9 k, so a little more than a grand more than a 10 year old truck with not nearly the amount of features or options, better mpg's, power and performance. Complain complain, they won't even deal on tacoma's either...

Comparing them to a full size an SLT Sierra starts at 46k (and it has a bench seat, no buckets at that...), almost 8 grand more and there are a ton of options left to get. You can sticker one of those up above 50k easy. Doesn't sound like they are stepping on much of the toe of the full sizers.

Oh but rebates, you don't think you can't widdle down a mid sizer off of the MSRP? Remember, dealing with percentages of price you need more money off the fullsize to get the same percentage off a midsize. Some of you are comparing a truck new 5 years ago, that isn't an apples to apples comparison. The new trucks have gone up in price a descent amount. The same truck 5 years ago at 40k MSRP (CC, Z71, cloth buckets) is now almost 5k more. That is an unfair comparison. How about we compare a truck from the 80's then?

This is about right, I would have loved to see them a little cheaper but they are a much better truck with more tech/features and are a little more than a comparable Tacoma and still 6-10k less than a comparable optioned full size at msrp. Compare the correct features, colorado Z71 to the LT Z71, SLT to SLT. Don't say oh the SLE 4x4 is only 3k more after rebates when compared to the SLT Canyon. That isn't a direct comparison.

Some of ya'lls remarks and comparisons are just laughable...

Tyler

• Like 2

We're talking about midsize trucks here. Not the tundra.

Starting price on the Tacoma is $18,125.

Starting on the Tundra is $26,200.

My typo, Tacoma, and yes the regular cab is $18,125 but the Colorado won't come in a regular cab. I'm comparing apples to apples here, and the same cab configuration is priced similar.

As stated, the MSRP isn't the deciding factor. Incentives will make all the difference. I really like the looks of the new Colorado, but a Silverado for the same money (or just a couple grand more) is a no-brainer. The MSRP is inflated on all GM trucks (in my opinion) so a good incentive/rebate program might make these trucks worth looking at. Otherwise, I'll buy a HD gasser and have a whole lot more truck for the money.

Not every one needs or wants a BIG truck. Small is just fine, and saving money on that idea is not bad either. More is not always better. Not understanding that is not something to crow about...

If your buying a truck to haul stuff, why in the hell would anyone go small??? :confused:

Not every one needs or wants a BIG truck. Small is just fine, and saving money on that idea is not bad either. More is not always better. Not understanding that is not something to crow about...

He never said everyone needs or wants a big truck, he said he personally would rather pay for an HD then a small truck.. Never said anything leading to believe he dosent understand that..

• Like 2

He never said everyone needs or wants a big truck, he said he personally would rather pay for an HD then a small truck.. Never said anything leading to believe he dosent understand that..

Exactly. I understand that a small truck will suit some people just fine, and if they can save a few grand in the process, that's even better. I was just sharing my personal opinion (doesn't make it right or wrong) that I would rather pay a few thousand more and have a more capable truck. I've always liked larger trucks, and I actually use my truck as a truck (towing and hauling)...so for me, more is better. Other people may have different wants/needs, and that's just fine.

• Like 1

Here's a look some preliminary fuel efficient projections for various vehicle makes and models:

Segment Make & Model 2012 mpg goal 2017 mpg goal 2021 mpg goal 2025 mpg goal

2012 2017 2021 2025

Subcompact Car Kia Soul 34.6 41.7 48.6 58.4

Midrange Sport Car Chevrolet Corvette 33.4 40.0 46.6 56.0

Compact Car Chevrolet Cruze 33.4 40.0 46.6 56.0

Midsize Car Toyota Camry 32.3 38.4 44.8 53.8

Premium Luxury Car BMW 7 Series 28.0 32.7 38.0 45.6

Compact Crossover SUV Ford Escape 29.0 34.9 40.2 48.4

Compact Truck Toyota Tacoma 27.2 31.8 36.6 44.1

Midsize Traditional SUV Ford Explorer 25.9 29.9 34.2 41.2

Minivan Toyota Sienna 24.8 28.3 32.1 38.6

Large Truck Ford F-150 22.3 25.1 25.3 30.2

Source: Edmunds.com

And if they can't meet those goals ...... fines from the EPA?

Nothing good will come from the government mandating what vehicles "SHOULD" get for mileage. That sort of thing will make today's reliability issues seem like a walk in the park compared to what will come ...

I'll believe a 30 mpg F-150 when I see it. How? Plastic frame? 1/2 quart of oil in the engine? 35 horsepower/ 50 ft. lbs. of torque? 22 speed transmission? Nothing good .....

Seems to me that the pricing is similar to the Toyota & Nissan both of which are old platforms that need refreshed to catch my eye. I test drove a couple Nissan Frontiers before getting my Sierra and they we're OK but, I don't like how choppy the ride was.

I've not driven a Taco but, the interior styling doesn't do much for me and when I sat in one it was pretty cramped inside.

Its not necessary always a matter of bigger is better but, I doubt that one of these mid sized trucks will get me out of a full size GMC and into a Canyon but, I'd drive a 2500HD with a duramax if I could afford it. With that said if my job were to find me parking in the big city a lot I'd probably be looking at a Canyon.

These small trucks have their own market... They are not meant to sway people from buying full size trucks or 3/4 ton trucks, they are meant to fulfill the needs of the small truck market. Fortunately there are very few options out there.

I think an MSRP of ~$37k loaded doesn't seem too far off the mark. I got my 14 Sierra 4x4 Z71 with a sticker of 43k for 35k, but it was an SLE. I'd imagine the loaded Canyon will drop to low 30's with rebates and such. That's loaded. The meat of the market will be mid-high 20's with nice options. Not too bad. I'm curious to see what the diesel will be.