Zane Merva

Executive Editor / Publisher - GM-Trucks.com

June 21st, 2019

We recently had a chance to check out the all new Silverado HD. The 2020 Silverado HD has an optional 8 camera system to help aid in towing your trailer. We get a full walk through of the various views and camera angles. 

Interesting how they "blacked out" the bottom line of the grill.  Before this was chrome like the other levels of the grill making it look mean!!!!   I like the previous look.  But there was a lot of on-line negative to that look.  So seems they took action and tried to minimize the aggressiveness to it.  Bummer. 

Ok Zane and Josh, I watched very close to the video. Regardless on the operator and his skills, I'm glad he knew his limits on trailer movements

NOW my questions as I am planning on a 2020 Denali.

1) Do you have a video with a gooseneck trailer (I have a 48 footer). What or how does the camera view change?

2) is there extension cables for the cameras as I understand the cameras are approx 28 feet of cable? 

3) I noted on other videos that the camera has a RCA jack / cable and was plugged into the back of the bumper? What side is it on?

4) The MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION, when viewing on the center stack the rear trailer view, coming to a stop. You place the shift to reverse. WILL the center stack keep the rear trailer view OR will the rear tail gate camera activate causing additional distraction to reset your view out the back of the trailer each time you perform a pull up?

5) I noticed a view while rolling thru a serpentine movement,  I noted the camera view shifts for a better trailer view. I heard clunks was that the trailer hitch assembly or was that audio from the stack video?

Please respond to the above questions. 

Chuck

• Like 1

If you are pulling a trailer and don't "feel" or understand where that trailer is and what it's doing by feeling the truck and using the mirrors.... PARK IT AND DON'T PULL TRAILERS!!!!  All we need is one more screen to distract drivers just that much more.  USE THE MIRRORS! FEEL THE UNIT!  .....Oh....I know... they could put a camera in the fuel tank fill.... so we can watch the (&&^$%^%^%!!!!!!  water run into the tank when we have the truck washed or drive in blowing rain!!!!  Get rid of the )(&*&^&*%^%* !!!!  cameras and just give us a fuel tank cap!!!! 

1 hour ago, Danka said:

If you are pulling a trailer and don't "feel" or understand where that trailer is and what it's doing by feeling the truck and using the mirrors.... PARK IT AND DON'T PULL TRAILERS!!!!  All we need is one more screen to distract drivers just that much more.  USE THE MIRRORS! FEEL THE UNIT!  .....Oh....I know... they could put a camera in the fuel tank fill.... so we can watch the (&&^$%^%^%!!!!!!  water run into the tank when we have the truck washed or drive in blowing rain!!!!  Get rid of the )(&*&^&*%^%* !!!!  cameras and just give us a fuel tank cap!!!! 

Danka, I started pulling trailers 50 years ago! I also towed fighter jets tankers. I have used mirrors that were cracked, shattered and held with scotch tape. I also started using cameras as no matter how big a mirror is , was you STILL can't see the back of the trailer! Back in the day the term was a swamper... today a DW.... the one who whispers to scoot it over 2 feet! I have many miles in foward and a couple 2 to 3 in reverse. You can take ur mirrors and I'll take my cameras. I have about 16 inches clearance to park MY 48 foot trailer on each side. Once you start to swing it you loose ALL visual reference on BOTH sides. Yes there are walls AND a roof eve. So please don't make it that ur a ol timer. Get a 66 chevy 100 with NO power steering and power breaks. Also no trailer brakes. Those were the days. Oh yea 1 more thing hows about no AC in mojave desert in August!

1 hour ago, Gecko50 said:

Danka, I started pulling trailers 50 years ago! I also towed fighter jets tankers. I have used mirrors that were cracked, shattered and held with scotch tape. I also started using cameras as no matter how big a mirror is , was you STILL can't see the back of the trailer! Back in the day the term was a swamper... today a DW.... the one who whispers to scoot it over 2 feet! I have many miles in foward and a couple 2 to 3 in reverse. You can take ur mirrors and I'll take my cameras. I have about 16 inches clearance to park MY 48 foot trailer on each side. Once you start to swing it you loose ALL visual reference on BOTH sides. Yes there are walls AND a roof eve. So please don't make it that ur a ol timer. Get a 66 chevy 100 with NO power steering and power breaks. Also no trailer brakes. Those were the days. Oh yea 1 more thing hows about no AC in mojave desert in August!

Well, I have millions of miles in a semi. I have had one in every state in the USA multiple times. I have backed down allies in New York City to get parked to load / unload swinging beef.... Hauled explosives ot of Rockford Il. , been a few places.... A camera backing up would be fine...but again...going down the road, if you can't feel it, understand it...and deal with it PARK IT. To each his own. 

Lol cameras are a tool and just like any other tool we are all going to use them differently. How they chose to use them doesn’t make them an less qualified to pull a trailer knowing when they’re over their head does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Danka said:

Well, I have millions of miles in a semi. I have had one in every state in the USA multiple times. I have backed down allies in New York City to get parked to load / unload swinging beef.... Hauled explosives ot of Rockford Il. , been a few places.... A camera backing up would be fine...but again...going down the road, if you can't feel it, understand it...and deal with it PARK IT. To each his own. 

I agree and your last sentance says it all.

BUT Danka, you and Inhave seen many that were over their head. I mean a 1/2 or 3/2 ton truck or THAT 4X4 jacked up truck pulling a trailer that dropped the bumper a foot some times more. See them sway over 2 lanes and some how saved it. But someone tells them they are severly overweight, and a single axle. SMH.... they wonder why the mpg sucks at 8 mpg. How about smelling brakes.. then seeing smoke trailing, or shredded tires... 

But to each their own. I like and use my gagets to make me a better driver. Always error to the cautious side. 

Chuck

On 6/22/2019 at 2:59 PM, Danka said:

LOL, so you are saying you are uniquely qualified to handle a trailer with mirrors, and you're holding everyone else to your standard?  Lame.

What about everyone who doesn't have millions of miles in a semi?  Should everyone wanting to tow have to do that first?

-Daver

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, migizi said:

they need one more camera - for the top of the trailer to monitor Clearance ?

Actually to be realistic, when using long trailers it would be really nice to have one about 15 feet from both sides to the rear of the trailer. This would be nice for lane changes, reversing with tight clearances also when pulling into pump islands. A trailer once you start the turning movement you loose total vision of the back corners. 

Chuck

PAE