A independent mechanic drove my truck and felt the shimmy shake!

Monday they going to check drive shaft and go from there. I remember Gm truck member RT’s words. “It’s the drive-shaft”!

we will see, I would be so happy if this is the case for my truck. Will post with results. 

One thing i did come across when i was fixing my truck was a shop called TCS transmissions . 

One guy that worked there had a 2016 sierra 1500 same as mine and had the "shake" . 

He said there were a couple parts in the transmission (6l80e) that were garbage and that they caused the vibration .

He reportedly replaced said parts rebuilt his trans and put in some upgraded parts and there was 0 shake after . 

Update on my vibratio, shimmy shaker.

Drive shaft out and u joints are spent. Spin balance tomorrow. The mechanic thinks my issue could be  faulty seizing u joints. But will balance anyway.

Test drive tomorrow.

*success* 

spin balance driveshaft

new ujoints

alignment! 
Such a relief!

large.01DA6C0C-D530-417D-BE02-13BA261200DA.jpeg.fb77fd1bb8b1dce67653bec6a1db54ef.jpeglarge.586AD5F9-3592-47DB-BE5A-0688DCB0A858.jpeg.a67c5633e04a69ecd8c192aa8ed59b7f.jpeg

Edited by Gofas
Edit photo

Update on my vibratio, shimmy shaker.

Drive shaft out and u joints are spent. Spin balance tomorrow. The mechanic thinks my issue could be  faulty seizing u joints. But will balance anyway.

Test drive tomorrow. 

Hope that leads to a solution to your vibes.  Maybe it will, maybe not.  So many guys here have spent their hard earned cash on their new to almost new trucks, replacing so many parts on these fk'n trucks for only a slight improvement or most often no improvement/solution at all.  There doesn't seem to be a fix, at least that we know of.  Although a few I believe did win LOL.  The fk'rs at GM know what the fix is, but they ain't say'n.  Sure am glad we bailed them out.

I have been complaining bout my truck for most of it life and it’s vibes and shake at hi speed. Sick of no help from you know who I finally brought it to a independent mechanic and they figured it out in one quick test drive on the hwy. 
and in my case it was faulty Ujoints on either side of the drive shaft. I have 70k on my truck now.

this is a cheap and easy parts swap so why not try it.  Several dealers the last years had no clue. no clue!  Notice cup of liquid in the video, that was my case as well. The faster I went the road the more it was evident.  I had lots of drive shaft clunk which I was told by dealer that it was normal.

Taking drive-shaft off to spin balance we found the joints to be bad.

I shared this info with local dealer. He pointed my before after alignment specs where in range in that paper.  But even tho, it took shake out at 72 on up. And driveshaft was the vibe that got worse 65 or so and up.  I am getting great  mpg’s Even with how I am driving fast all time! 
* update it still drives good!*

Edited by Gofas
The rage!
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 2017 Silverado LTZ Z71 with 17,500 miles.  I recently started experiencing very similar rumble strip type vibration at freeway speeds.  It happens intermittently when going up a slight grade and/or gently depressing the accelerator.   I was driving up a steep grade recently and it shook violently - like somebody was rocking the vehicle side to side.  I checked 2X2 position, downshifted to M3, and still rocked - although slightly less violently.  It also seemed to lose power.   

Does anybody experience rumble strips type vibration in the steering wheel at highway speed AND when driven it up a steep grade experience a violent rocking of the vehicle?

Was it resolved and if so how?    

First time the dealer did a wheel balance - I had not yet experienced the issue with steep grade which obviously would not be a balance issue.  They said most of the issue was mostly resolved and to drive it for a while.  It was not any better.  Since then, I experienced the steep grade  violent shaking experience.  Something is seriously wrong.  I cannot trust the vehicle to drive over a hill much less tow something uphill.  Now it is back at the shop as I write this.  They called saying no problem could be found.  After explaining again and pleading my case, they asked me to authorized an extensive test drive overnight.  They say GM has nothing on this type of issue.   

The first step will be getting the dealer to admit there is an issue.  

Thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction.

Edited by docjsb

On 1/14/2020 at 4:50 PM, docjsb said:

I have a 2017 Silverado LTZ Z71 with 17,500 miles.  I recently started experiencing very similar rumble strip type vibration at freeway speeds.  It happens intermittently when going up a slight grade and/or gently depressing the accelerator.   I was driving up a steep grade recently and it shook violently - like somebody was rocking the vehicle side to side.  I checked 2X2 position, downshifted to M3, and still rocked - although slightly less violently.  It also seemed to lose power.   

Does anybody experience rumble strips type vibration in the steering wheel at highway speed AND when driven it up a steep grade experience a violent rocking of the vehicle?

First time the dealer did a wheel balance - I had not yet experienced the issue with steep grade which obviously would not be a balance issue.  They said most of the issue was mostly resolved and to drive it for a while.  It was not any better.  Since then, I experienced the steep grade  violent shaking experience.  Something is seriously wrong.  I cannot trust the vehicle to drive over a hill much less tow something uphill.  Now it is back at the shop as I write this.  They called saying no problem could be found.  After explaining again and pleading my case, they asked me to authorized an extensive test drive overnight.  They say GM has nothing on this type of issue.   

Mine just started... There is a GM Service Bulletin on how the dealers are suppose diagnose/trouble shoot the issues.  Several fixes, just depends on what vibration is occurring.  I did do a search on "rumble" on the thread and some lucky persons corrected the issue with transmission flush.  Still doing research...

It appears GMC Service Bulletin 16-NA-175 for the transmission shake / shimmy / rumble / shudder is only for the 8 speed transmissions. I have the 6-speed.

Does anyone have experience with the 6-speed?  Does the tranny flush help?

• 2 weeks later...

Took my 2016 Silverado Double-Cab 4x4 (65K miles) in this morning for the infamous "shake".  Driving home from taking my daughter to college on Sunday it got so bad I had to stop to make sure I didn't have a loose tire or something.  Long story short, dealer said the Torque Converter has failed, it needs to be replace along with several other parts (know issue with a TSB).  Issue is they have another truck with the same issue that has been waiting several weeks for parts.  My dealer has been great, providing a loaner, etc.  My frustration is with GM, they have a known problem and parts are on an extended back order.  Dealer said its covered under my Certified Pre-Owned 100K powertrain warranty, however I won't have "my truck" for several weeks.  Filed a complaint with GM they said a Senior Advisor will get back to me and my dealership if they are able to help.  I have been a Dodge guy all my life, bought the Silverado in June of 17 with 18K miles, based on this experience guess I will have to look at other brands for my next truck.  Sorry to vent.

• Like 1

Took my 2016 Silverado Double-Cab 4x4 (65K miles) in this morning for the infamous "shake".  Driving home from taking my daughter to college on Sunday it got so bad I had to stop to make sure I didn't have a loose tire or something.  Long story short, dealer said the Torque Converter has failed, it needs to be replace along with several other parts (know issue with a TSB).  Issue is they have another truck with the same issue that has been waiting several weeks for parts.  My dealer has been great, providing a loaner, etc.  My frustration is with GM, they have a known problem and parts are on an extended back order.  Dealer said its covered under my Certified Pre-Owned 100K powertrain warranty, however I won't have "my truck" for several weeks.  Filed a complaint with GM they said a Senior Advisor will get back to me and my dealership if they are able to help.  I have been a Dodge guy all my life, bought the Silverado in June of 17 with 18K miles, based on this experience guess I will have to look at other brands for my next truck.  Sorry to vent.

Don’t be sorry about venting, all of us have been there. I have owned 4 gm trucks in the last 10 years and 3 of the 4 have had major problems. Just bought a 19 after having a shaking 14 and my 19 has been in the shop for two weeks with 700 miles on it for other problems. Not sure why I’ve stayed loyal but definitely going to a different brand with the next truck, and most likely will be trading my new one in within the next few months. Don’t know how gm keeps putting out garbage and still has customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/14/2020 at 3:50 PM, docjsb said:

For some reason mine started only after the brake recall fix. If you are calling rumble strip the same thing as the lines on the shoulder to let you know you're veering out of your lane then yes. With 87K on my 2017 Sierra I am wondering why it only started recently. Other than that the only issue with my truck is the same as everyone else POS 8-speed .

On 1/30/2020 at 2:06 PM, hotrodz37 said:

Don’t be sorry about venting, all of us have been there. I have owned 4 gm trucks in the last 10 years and 3 of the 4 have had major problems. Just bought a 19 after having a shaking 14 and my 19 has been in the shop for two weeks with 700 miles on it for other problems. Not sure why I’ve stayed loyal but definitely going to a different brand with the next truck, and most likely will be trading my new one in within the next few months. Don’t know how gm keeps putting out garbage and still has customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn the 19 has issues too? Not a good sign at all. Although I'm dissapointed with my current 8 speed, I was hoping the 10 speed would be fine and have had my eyes on an AT4; however, based on the F-150 class action lawsuit on the 10-speed and the fact that GM and Ford collaborated on that, it's just a matter of time before GM owners start experiencing the same clunky shifting, hesitation that apparently is plaguing the new F-150.

Guess after this its time for my 3rd Nissan Titan.....lowest selling truck, but now that they're making a sunroof again I'll be ok with them. 

• 2 weeks later...

'16 Sierra Denali 6.2 8 spd, shook from day 1 brand new. I accounted it to the 22in wheel and tires. Shook between 40-60 mph on the freeway.

Got a new '20 Sierra Denali 6.2 10 spd w/22in wheels and tires and it rides SO much smoother. Have not experienced the shaking. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2020 at 4:50 PM, docjsb said:

Well, I too have a similar situation with mine...2018, 47,000 miles, owned since new, 6 speed. It doesn’t like hills on the highway; if I hit a hill going slow it’ll stutter and shudder it’s way up that hill. I now have to hit hills just right, with some speed and heavy throttle, otherwise I’ll get a shudder from the tranny. I did get a check engine light once - cylinder five misfire - but everything checked out and it quickly went out. 

I have done two transmission services to this truck since new. Truck has been babied since day one...all highway miles. Not sure if it’s the torque converter or what...starting to think I made a mistake buying this thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2012 gmc sierra 1500 sle... took it to the mechanic for vibration issues at idle no matter what gear its in. He replaced the plugs and wires, maf sensor, fuel pump and hanger for the fuel tank. He also said the ac belt needed to be replaced and have the original gm gas cap put on which I'll do myself. The vibration is still there so my question is, will the ac belt cause vibration if its getting worn out since it's on the crankshaft?