On 9/18/2019 at 2:46 PM, neimadpc said:

I've been following this thread for a long time, and thought I would share my experiences as well.

2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab - 35k miles

22" Wheels with Bridgestone Dueler AT's

I purchased this vehicle with 8k miles in 2017. I didn't notice the shaking/shimmy on my test drive. With my truck, it was only noticeable on smooth, long stretches. A lot of the highways around the dealership are pretty bumpy, and driving on them doesn't let the shimmy really set in. I could feel it at 40mph, on really SMOOTH roads. It was also bad around 70-80ish.

After about a week of driving it, i really started to notice the shake. I took it in 3 separate times and was told that the tech didn't notice anything unusual, and nothing wrong with it. I finally got really fed up with it and demanded a tech ride with me. I got one, and I took him to a section of roadway where I knew it would shake - he agreed something was wrong... Back to the garage.

I'll skip the rest and just tell you what they all did, over a period of time.

3 of the 4 tires were in the mid 30's for roadforce - I got 4 new ones (same Bridgestone Dueler AT's) - Still shook after that.

They found lateral runout on the rear axle - replaced left and right inner axle shafts - Still shook after that.

They found play in steering gear bushing - replaced steering rack - Still shook after that.

They replaced all shocks/struts - Still shook after that.

They replaced drive shaft - Still shook after that.

I drove it until my next oil change and when I brought it in, I asked if they had roadforce balanced the new tires when they mounted them, they did not. SO, I said do it on these new ones. 2 of the 4 new ones were in the low 30's again. Other two were 13 and 10.

Two more new tires, rf balanced at 9 and 11 - and its ALMOST completely gone. At this point I am going to just accept it as its almost non-existent and I'm so sick of dealing with it.

I had my Bridgestone tires fall out out of RF specs about 4-5 times. I then got new Michelin tires and right away my steering wheel vibrations were nearly eliminated (I will accept the rest of road condition vibrations) bumps are A LOT softer. I truly feel the Bridgestones are not meant for our vehicles or rims

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 4:18 PM, Rick Murphy said:

I have been dealing with the vibration issue for several months now.I have a 2018 Silverado 5.3- 6 speed trans 2 wheel drive and I have 22,000 miles Mine is mostly felt in the steering wheel from 50 to 70 mph. The dealer started by changing the torque converter with no success. The next visit they changed my motor mounts and had no luck. The next visit they did the trans fluid flush and the road force balancing of the wheels and this last time in the shop they took the wheels off a brand new truck on the lot and did a lot of pico scope tests and they had my truck for two weeks They also road force balanced my wheels again. The service manager told me when I picked it up that all the pico scope readings were within spec and that there hands were tied from any further repairs This morning I got the number for GM and called them and they are connecting me with a senior service advisor to get my issue fixed By the way my truck vibrates exactly the same as when I first took it to the dealer

I took my truck to another dealer on 9/27 /19 to have the vibration analyzed and they blew me off big time They changed the oil and did a multi point inspection and printed out an advisory sheet from GM stating that some trucks may feel a vibration going into v4 mode and this is normal I took it home and got on the web and found one more dealer close to me  and gave them a call and explained my problem They told me to bring it right in.The service manager took it for a ride in the drivers seat and when we got to 52 mph he said oh yea I feel exactly what your talking about and told me he would do everything he could to get my issue fixed I have an appointment for 10/7/19 and a loaner will be supplied

Well, after the dealer told me my hesitation/vibration issue is "just the nature of the beast". I sent an email to GM. I thought I was getting a "senior service advisor" but seems it was just a guy that was verifying my complaint. He then told me he would get the information on to GMC and I should be hearing from the dealer or someone from GMC. He couldn't tell me when that would happen. I was a little disgruntled. Mine is a 2017 Chev Silverado with only 5200 miles. I am confident it is a fluid issue in the TC because after the first 5 or 10 minutes of driving it, you don't feel the hesitation/vibration anymore.

Created an account just to vent....

I purchased a used 2015 Silverado LT with the 4.3 V6(I know). I liked the truck and the price. Anyways, it had 56k and what appeared to be the original Wrangler tires on it. I noticed during the test drive a little shake when brakes were applied and when at highway speeds. I thought nothing of it and figured a set of brakes and tires and I'd be good to go.

First thing I do in the first 2 weeks after buying is replace the front brakes. This fixed the shake in the pedal 100%. A month later I decided to replace the tires. As it's coming into winter here in Michigan I decided to get some A/T winter tires. My tire guy recommended Mastercraft Courser ATX as a great tire for the money. I go ahead and get the tires. Oddly the vibrations and center console shake is still there. I have the shop road force balance the tires, but to no avail. I take it to my local GM service center and tell them my issue. Immediately they say it's those cheap Mastercraft tires. I leave it with them for a few days and when I pick it up they say two tires are bad and they failed RF balance.

Ok, bummer. I go back to tire shop and they re balance the tires and said they are good. Still have a issue. I go back to GM and they say new tires will fix the problem. Even though I just spent over $700 on the Mastercrafts I thought if this solves my issue I'll return the MC as defective. I drop over $1k on GY Duratracs, as they were recommended by the rep. Guess what? The shake is still there!

Now I'm pissed as I have almost $2k wrapped up in tires and still rides like crap. I ask for my old tires to be reinstalled and my money back for the Wranglers. They refuse and say it drives as it should. Now I'm fuming mad! 

I decide to look online regarding my shake/vibration issues and wow! Did I make a mistake buying this turd. I gather up some information to bring up to my service rep regarding the problem I am facing. They don't want to hear anything and assure me my truck is operating within spec.

I then take the truck to a local drivetrain specialty shop and they take it for a test drive they and say somethings wrong. No sh#@! Now I plan on having them take a look at it to try to find the problem. The mechanic who test drove it said first thing he'll do is drop the driveshaft and check it for run out and balance. 

Thanks for reading and letting me vent. I'll update with additional information when available. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I purchased a used 2015 Silverado LT with the 4.3 V6(I know). I liked the truck and the price. Anyways, it had 56k and what appeared to be the original Wrangler tires on it. I noticed during the test drive a little shake when brakes were applied and when at highway speeds. I thought nothing of it and figured a set of brakes and tires and I'd be good to go.

First thing I do in the first 2 weeks after buying is replace the front brakes. This fixed the shake in the pedal 100%. A month later I decided to replace the tires. As it's coming into winter here in Michigan I decided to get some A/T winter tires. My tire guy recommended Mastercraft Courser ATX as a great tire for the money. I go ahead and get the tires. Oddly the vibrations and center console shake is still there. I have the shop road force balance the tires, but to no avail. I take it to my local GM service center and tell them my issue. Immediately they say it's those cheap Mastercraft tires. I leave it with them for a few days and when I pick it up they say two tires are bad and they failed RF balance.

Ok, bummer. I go back to tire shop and they re balance the tires and said they are good. Still have a issue. I go back to GM and they say new tires will fix the problem. Even though I just spent over $700 on the Mastercrafts I thought if this solves my issue I'll return the MC as defective. I drop over $1k on GY Duratracs, as they were recommended by the rep. Guess what? The shake is still there!

Now I'm pissed as I have almost $2k wrapped up in tires and still rides like crap. I ask for my old tires to be reinstalled and my money back for the Wranglers. They refuse and say it drives as it should. Now I'm fuming mad! 

I decide to look online regarding my shake/vibration issues and wow! Did I make a mistake buying this turd. I gather up some information to bring up to my service rep regarding the problem I am facing. They don't want to hear anything and assure me my truck is operating within spec.

I then take the truck to a local drivetrain specialty shop and they take it for a test drive they and say somethings wrong. No sh#@! Now I plan on having them take a look at it to try to find the problem. The mechanic who test drove it said first thing he'll do is drop the driveshaft and check it for run out and balance. 

Thanks for reading and letting me vent. I'll update with additional information when available. 

The dealer just called and said my truck was ready. This is the second trip. The first visit was a new torque converter and basically a trans rebuild. Dealer said it was fixed. Drove it for 2k miles and still the same. Second set of tires and also new brakes. This time I told them I have a third set of factory 20s with 11k miles on them if they want to try another set of wheels and tires. I’m not letting them off the hook so easy.

If I can’t get any action from GM my next stop will be a driveline shop also. All I can say is good luck! Lol

On the plus side the did give me a 2019 to drive as a loaner.

9f9f808c7c752a7aaed6469792239425.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last update I took my truck in for the recall and asked them to check into the fluid flush TSB for me too.  They called me up and said that it did qualify for it and they did the fluid swap in the trans for me.  18 NA 355 if my memory serves me well.  I have noticed that it does shift better.  Especially on the 1-2 from a stop at light throttle.  Otherwise it runs fine.  I still have a bit of vibration in the 75-85 mph range but it's not overbearing and I think I'm super sensitive to it also.  No one that rides with me now complains.  I still think the tires are bad.  They are Hankook AT's and they are about done for tread life.  I'll replace them soon with a good quality tire and update again after that.

12 hours ago, 2016DenaliGuy said:

Since my last update I took my truck in for the recall and asked them to check into the fluid flush TSB for me too.  They called me up and said that it did qualify for it and they did the fluid swap in the trans for me.  18 NA 355 if my memory serves me well.  I have noticed that it does shift better.  Especially on the 1-2 from a stop at light throttle.  Otherwise it runs fine.  I still have a bit of vibration in the 75-85 mph range but it's not overbearing and I think I'm super sensitive to it also.  No one that rides with me now complains.  I still think the tires are bad.  They are Hankook AT's and they are about done for tread life.  I'll replace them soon with a good quality tire and update again after that.

Do you have the 8 speed?

On 10/1/2019 at 8:28 PM, Drivinfast247 said:

Same story here.  Saving up for drive shaft swap. 

SOLVED FOR ME: I have a 2014 Silverado 5.3L LTZ and I have the stupid shake issue like so many of you. Oddly enough, I also have weird shifting like clonks which the US class action lawsuit only mentions 8 speeds when i have a 6. I road forced balanced the wheels\Tires and I have 3 sets of wheels so I know the vibration was not caused by one set. I tried tightening the leaf springs and it reduced the vibration but made the ride stiffer at lower speed. 

The solution for me was adding a AFM disabler from Range technology. The vibration is gone and the transmission shifting is now smooth. It's only been one day and I am so happy, that I wanted to share.

I do love the GMC Sierra AT4 with a 10sp but don't need the 6.2L so the rumors that 2020 Sierra\Silverado 5.3L will come with the 10sp is great.
The Range modules really do work wonders on these trucks. I love mine.

Mine wasn't shaking, but it's soooooo smooth on shifts with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

On 10/15/2019 at 7:10 AM, Gofas said:

I had Michelin's mounted, to no avail, shakes are still there. I feel like the vibes are coming from the front axles, or intermediate shaft not the main drive shaft. The vibration "pulses" like it is running up and down a sine curve..  trading this shaker soon!

On 10/15/2019 at 8:10 AM, Gofas said:

Don't count on that, I did it and had to take it back off because it made it worse. I did send it back to see if the driveshaft was still balanced and the performance driveline has been great so maybe it was damaged in shipping. What helped mine the most was having a dealer do the torque converter flush. It was the third time for mine but I recently switched dealers because the dealer where I purchased my truck is a joke on the maintenance side. I think the people performing the work are the key ingredient to finding the peoblem.  

Hey guys, just checking in after a good 8 or 10 months or so since my last update. My truck (2018 Silverado Z71 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L 6 speed 3.42 gears with 18” wheels) now has approximately 16,000 miles and is close to vibration free. Back in January, I had the dealer retorque the entire front end among with a switch to Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires and that got rid of ALL of my steering wheel vibration. I now ride smooth as glass from 1-80mph. Between 81 and 83, I get some resonance that vibrates my bench seat center console that I can feel just a little in the drivers seat that comes and goes and seems to phase around corners, but that’s it - speed related only and is not affected by acceleration or RPMs. It also completely disappears in warm weather (75 degrees and higher or so). I’m going to have a road force balance done at my next rotation in approximately 2,000 miles to see if I can take care of that. Otherwise, the truck has been good. I am frustrated that it still seems so sensitive to RFV, but I suppose it might just be the nature of the beast. After scrounging the Internet over the past year and a half, I’ve found every make and model of trucks with posts about vibrations. I bought my truck In May of 2018.

GM and my dealer eventually told me nothing was wrong with my truck, all was operating within spec, and that vibrations at 80+ mph aren’t something they can diagnose, flat out telling me they’d expect some at that speed due to smooth road shake and natural resonance (though they did work with my regarding the steering vibes up to 75 when my steering wheel was still shaking, since I argued Michigan has freeways with that as their posted speeds). I went so far as to have my private mechanic who I have used for 5+ years look it over and he confirmed all was tight, fit, and in good shape after a suspension/driveline inspection (he and his brother own the shop and both drive 2017/2018 Silverados).

In short, my steering wheel is firm, solid, and not shaking anymore since January 2019. I’ve got no shakes or vibes up to 80mph, and I’m willing to bet at this point the remaining shake at 80+ is either tires (I didn’t have seat vibes with the factory Goodyear SRAs, but they vibed the shit out of my steering wheel) or inherent in the design and smooth road shake (I should mention asphalt is WAY more susceptible to set it off than concrete). Time will tell, but the vibration is so slight in the seat that I’m to the point I doubt I’ll do much more. None of my passengers have ever felt it in their seats, even after I’ve asked (though my wife admits she sees the center console Shake a little when I’m at 80+, notably when I’ve got a big water bottle or something in it), so maybe I’m just looking for it at this point.

Anyway, hope you all have good luck with your trucks. I can’t say I’m 100% satisfied at this point, but I’m close. I rarely drive over 80mph, so the fact I get some vibes there rarely affects me, but does still bother me deep down. Every vehicle I’ve ever owned has had nuances I’ve disliked, this is just the first NEW vehicle I’ve ever had in my 32 years of life, so it’s disappointing to say the least.

Edited by Olvim