Must have upgrades for towing RVs

Hey guys its been a while since I have been on the forum but I need some help.

As the tittle states I need some help upgrading my truck for towing. I am NOT looking to increase its tow rating to get a bigger trailer, I am looking on mods to make it easier on my truck. I am getting a travel trailer to live in full time due to moving all the time for work, it is more economical for me to pay for an RV spot and the trailer over leasing apartments/houses for short term and then having to cancel contracts and move all my stuff. The trailer I am looking at is a solid 7500lbs GVWR at 32'ft bumper pull.

I have a 2016 GMC Sierra crew cab short box 5.3L with 3.42gears and the "standard" tow package without the brake controller.

Big note that I do have a 4" BDS lift with blocks in the rear and 35x12.5x20 toyo R/Ts

I am already looking at fitting tow mirrors and an after market brake controller, but aside from re gearing the truck what are some good options? Things that come to mind are like an auxiliary transmission cooler to help since I do have 35s, helper bags in the rear to cope with the droop.....what else could be added to just make the truck tow "easier"...............and no superchargers..wifey would NOT be happy

thanks guys :D

• Like 1

Buy the right truck next time? Don't lift them and put bigger tires? Those 3.42 gears and those 35"s sound like a power killer.

Trailer is 7500lbs gross and the trucks tow rating is 9100lbs... I say it is just the right truck with room to spare.

Get rid of the 35's, drop it down 2" and put on a set of Load Range E tires in 32-33" height. Rear air bags and load leveler hitch. You'll be fine.

35s are definitely NOT coming off amd neither is it coming down.... To be honest it's probably going up. Thats what drop hitches are for.

Rear bags and a weight distribution hitch were at the top of my list after a bit of research.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

There is plenty of tq for your current set up (albeit there are better). Rear sway bar, wdh, and airbags make a 1500 truck more comfortable to tow a TT that size. If you haven't bought the trailer yet make sure you get a 4 or 3 season one. Unless you can travel in the lowest states. I've considered doing similar as a traveling assignment surgical assistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is plenty of tq for your current set up (albeit there are better). Rear sway bar, wdh, and airbags make a 1500 truck more comfortable to tow a TT that size. If you haven't bought the trailer yet make sure you get a 4 or 3 season one. Unless you can travel in the lowest states. I've considered doing similar as a traveling assignment surgical assistant.

It is setup for 4 season as right now i am in the panhandle of Texas and it gets a little chilly here but not like North Dakota where i was a few years ago.

What is a good rear sway bar? Just anyone that fits or what do i look for?

• Like 1

It is setup for 4 season as right now i am in the panhandle of Texas and it gets a little chilly here but not like North Dakota where i was a few years ago.

What is a good rear sway bar? Just anyone that fits or what do i look for?

Hell wig is the most common I've heard of for our trucks. My TT is 2 season I guess since I don't have heat in all rooms just in that common area. Lines under the trailer aren't insulated.

I drove my friends truck with a rear sway and the truck/trailer felt more planted than before.

I have a 2016 Double Cab LT Z71 with 3.42 gears. 2.5" level kit and 34" tires. I have a 33' TT weighs 6800 pounds without anything in it. It's probably just about all I'd want to pull in the truck. It pulls it just fine, but it doesn't like it too much. I have a weight distribution hitch with sway control and an aftermarket brake controller. I also had tow mirrors installed. I would like to do the backup camera and maybe some SumoSprings but that's about it.

I have a 2016 Double Cab LT Z71 with 3.42 gears. 2.5" level kit and 34" tires. I have a 33' TT weighs 6800 pounds without anything in it. It's probably just about all I'd want to pull in the truck. It pulls it just fine, but it doesn't like it too much. I have a weight distribution hitch with sway control and an aftermarket brake controller. I also had tow mirrors installed. I would like to do the backup camera and maybe some SumoSprings but that's about it.

We are pretty similar in setups. I have 2" level, 34" tires 2016 CC SHort bed and My trailer is 7500lbs wet. Best comfort thing I did was some airbags in the back. Even with a WDH I still was getting some bounce from the soft rear suspension. The bags firmed it up without getting too harsh... also keeps the saggy bed syndrome.

Back up camera is awesome for the hookup. I would suggest to think about a rear sway bar. It's my next investment.

I have the Equalizer hitch and it seems to do pretty well with the bouncing. I like the SumoSpring conecept because when the truck isn't loaded it's just like stock, I would hate to have to air up and air down though with a digital gauge you could do that from the truck.

How far do you typically tow? What's the furthest you've towed?

• Like 1

I have the Equalizer hitch and it seems to do pretty well with the bouncing. I like the SumoSpring conecept because when the truck isn't loaded it's just like stock, I would hate to have to air up and air down though with a digital gauge you could do that from the truck.

How far do you typically tow? What's the furthest you've towed?

I don't use a digital gauge. I have a nicer analog gauge from my circuit days. I typically tow 120-160 each way... once or twice a month. As long as you have the bags on a "t" then they will always be balanced. To be honest, the first time you load it up and play with psi after the second or third time you just know to inflate to 15-20 psi and roll out.

I don't use a digital gauge. I have a nicer analog gauge from my circuit days. I typically tow 120-160 each way... once or twice a month. As long as you have the bags on a "t" then they will always be balanced. To be honest, the first time you load it up and play with psi after the second or third time you just know to inflate to 15-20 psi and roll out.

Oh ok I see, sounds like a much more straightforward setup once you get it tuned in and used to the PSI's

Upgrades to consider:

Tekonsha P3 brake controller (make sure to mount where easily accessible)

Weight distribution hitch

Tow mirrors

Rear air bags or air shocks if on a budget

Perhaps consider a smaller trailer or upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck. Towing a 7500 pound trailer and adding in cargo, water in tanks and other gear put you at or over the max recommended tow weight. I towed a Scion +-350 miles with my truck and had no issues. However I borrowed a friends Duramax to tow an H2 Hummer the same distance. Did not feel my truck could safely pull it or stop in an emergency. Stay safe and let us know what you decide.

Edited by Lgetz