2014+ Engine & Transmission Tuning

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody, I'm new here, but soon to have plenty of questions.  First off, however: my 2016 6L80 tranny just turned 70,000 km's (43,000 miles) - I have every intention of putting a Sonnax Zip Kit to boost shift pressure etc.  Keeping in mind I run my truck offroad on 32.5"'s regularly, and I'd like it to survive as long as possible, including future 35's.

My powertrain warranty is up in two years, which will likely mean about 100,000kms/60,000 miles; I intend to install the sonnax kit in parallel with an i3 tuner (hard shift setting) and 4.56 gears, which should all help the tranny in the long run.

In my experience...learned mostly the hard way...such kits are only beneficial if used while the transmission is healthy.  The question is: is 100,000km too late to put a zip kit in, or is it worth the risk to have it put in ASAP?

Short term risk-long term reward considerations here.

• 3 weeks later...

hand held canned tunes wont make much power... because they cant touch the PE tables otherwise the FEDs will be on their ass, shutting them down for emmissions violations!  they may add some timing,  disable TQMnmnt, disable cyclinder deactivation, tighten the line pressure in the trans, thats about it.

the power is in the PE table

• 4 weeks later...

I will say this after you receive a Tune run a Data Log after running the New Tune for 200 miles. Then have them check it mainly in the area of RPM Idle and Transmission Shifting/Performance.

I have noticed with the 2014 5.3 L83 and my nephews 2017 5.3 L83 after tuning the need to bump the Idle RPM's, very small adjustments. The 6L80 6speed Trans can produce nice results when tuned but it may take the extra Data Log to update the Tune for optimal performance and longevity. 

• 3 months later...

I'm editing my original post.

2019 LD old body is the same access for tuning as 2018.  4 credits through HP Tuners, same E92A ECM.  My tuner got in no issue.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've had my 2014 6.2L for a few years now and I'm planning a tune.  The only reservation I have is, on the last page of my owner's manual, someone stuck an HPTuners sticker on it AND I've hit 130mph with no problem before...If someone removed the speed limiter, what are the chances my ECM would be locked and I couldn't tune with Blackbear? Can you just remove a speed limiter with HP Tuner?

23 hours ago, modernmetal said:

I've had my 2014 6.2L for a few years now and I'm planning a tune.  The only reservation I have is, on the last page of my owner's manual, someone stuck an HPTuners sticker on it AND I've hit 130mph with no problem before...If someone removed the speed limiter, what are the chances my ECM would be locked and I couldn't tune with Blackbear? Can you just remove a speed limiter with HP Tuner?

So just buy HPTuners then :)  - shouldn't be a problem though - HPTuners doesn't lock anyone out of doing anything. Worst case scenario the previous tuner locked the tune and then Justin just has to dig into his own tune repository for a stock file that would match your truck. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2020 at 4:46 AM, RET. NCO said:

I have noticed with the 2014 5.3 L83 and my nephews 2017 5.3 L83 after tuning the need to bump the Idle RPM's, very small adjustments. The 6L80 6speed Trans can produce nice results when tuned but it may take the extra Data Log to update the Tune for optimal performance and longevity. 

i would focus on the trans tune first, remove the lock up converter settings,  lock up should only occur in 5th and 6th gear, less wear and tear on the weak clutch.  reduce TM by 18-25%.  get your trans temps down to 120-130F street driving.  do the Fast trans relearn after any updates..

this should improve longevity up to 180,000 miles

there are a dozen more adjustments that need to be made, but start with the basics before going advanced

Edited by flyingfool

My first custom tune was a Diablew tune on my 2013 Black Diamond Avalanche with a used diablo tuner off flea bay; cost me about $350 total and it was well worth it; had greatly improved drivability that was most apparent when I took off the tune to drive it in for the trade - I couldn't believe how bad the stock slurped. The trade is a 2018 Suburban LT 4x4 5.3, and though I want to try a BB tune, they have crept up to around $700 these days. I'm sure they are great, but there is only so much a tune can do, and 7 hundy is most of what my new Corsa cost (it alone is fantastic). Instead, I opted for the diablosport tuner to again let Lew tune after I got my new exhaust installed, and flea bay has tuners. Much to my chagrin, I picked up a refurb factory diablosport for cheap, and put on the "Jammer CAI" tune that was on the tuner. Apparently, its a 91 tune specifically for that brand CAI, but since I have a Airaid Jr and a new Corsa sport, I figured an increased airflow tune would apply until I got a few tanks of 93 through the truck. I added 11% throttle increase plus AFM off to that tune and kept everything else the same. Its sweet. I'm not sure if I got lucky or what, but this thing breaks loose. Could be the Corsa effect (which is, BTW, the best exhaust I have ever owned), but man I am one happy mofo right now...

Update. Lost about 3mpg with that no afm 91 tune. Went to 93 diablo tune with afm, and got it all back, plus it seems to run a little bit better...

• 9 months later...
On 10/19/2021 at 8:21 AM, sage55 said:

I'd like to get my new Jasper 6speed transmission in my 2016 Silverado tuned. Anyone have any recommendations for someone in the Kentucky or Ohio area?

I bought the Flashpaq F5 and did some tuning myself - 91 Octane tune, AFM delete, tire size reset.
It does allow a tune for shift points.
To be fair, that's not something I'm interested in, but it can be done.
Oh, I did change the the speed tor the CC lock-up, so that can be done, as well.

https://superchips.com/shop/f5-flashpaq-for-2017-2020-gm-vehicles

2016:

https://superchips.com/shop/f5-gm-flashpaq

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

I bought the Flashpaq F5 and did some tuning myself - 91 Octane tune, AFM delete, tire size reset.
It does allow a tune for shift points.
To be fair, that's not something I'm interested in, but it can be done.
Oh, I did change the the speed tor the CC lock-up, so that can be done, as well.

https://superchips.com/shop/f5-flashpaq-for-2017-2020-gm-vehicles

2016:

https://superchips.com/shop/f5-gm-flashpaq

Looks like a pretty neat device, but to be honest I wouldn't have a clue how to use it or how to even program my transmission.

I'd love to find a local or semi-local guy that has done this and know what they are doing. Haha.

Otherwise I'm making the 12+ hour drive up to see @CamGTP :D 😉

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 8:21 AM, sage55 said:

I'd like to get my new Jasper 6speed transmission in my 2016 Silverado tuned. Anyone have any recommendations for someone in the Kentucky or Ohio area?

Dkgoodrich.com in Frankfort KY. He does HP tuners and really knows his stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2021 at 7:09 PM, sage55 said:

Frankfort is just around the corner from me. I'll be calling them tomorrow! Thank you so much!

No problem, its easier to talk with him through text. If you want to go the handheld route I have a Hypertech Max Energy 2.0 that Im going to be selling soon. Let me know either way. 

• Like 1