I just picked up my 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation that came with the uber lame manual dimming mirror without universal garage door opener controls. I've been looking into this and there is a mirror listed as a direct replacement that has the universal garage door opener but still has manual dimming. If the auto dimming mirror plugs right in to the harness that's there, why won't the auto dimming mirror with garage door opener plug right in? Here's a link to it. I know I can buy the Gentex mirror with the same features and do some splicing, but I'd prefer a plug and play option. 

https://accessories.gmc.com/product/garage-door-opener-package-(for-vehicles-equipped-with-auto-dimming-rearview-mirrors)-84350235?vin=3GTU9CED3LG175119

Has anyone tried this?? 

Thanks,

Jeremy

On 1/25/2020 at 11:07 AM, jeremyp said:

I just picked up my 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation that came with the uber lame manual dimming mirror without universal garage door opener controls. I've been looking into this and there is a mirror listed as a direct replacement that has the universal garage door opener but still has manual dimming. If the auto dimming mirror plugs right in to the harness that's there, why won't the auto dimming mirror with garage door opener plug right in? Here's a link to it. I know I can buy the Gentex mirror with the same features and do some splicing, but I'd prefer a plug and play option. 

https://accessories.gmc.com/product/garage-door-opener-package-(for-vehicles-equipped-with-auto-dimming-rearview-mirrors)-84350235?vin=3GTU9CED3LG175119

Has anyone tried this?? 

Thanks,

Jeremy

I'm wondering the same thing as I want to do a plug and play and not worry about splicing with the Gentex.

Just for clarification, does the 13581082 come with the wire connector?

I'm wondering the same thing as I want to do a plug and play and not worry about splicing with the Gentex.

Just for clarification, does the 13581082 come with the wire connector?

Yes it comes with the wire connector and it’s plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 11:07 AM, jeremyp said:

Has anyone tried this?? 

Thanks,

Jeremys

So I've been on a mission to track down installs of this mirror (84350225) before pulling the trigger. A number of folks on the Volt forum (mirror is compatible with a number of chevy vehicles), folks have been disappointed that the garage door opener is detachable and battery operated. The big plus is that the mirror is frameless. That to me isn't enough to spend the extra $60-90 and pull the trigger, so I'm going the route of buying and installing 13581082 and just use my old school garage remote clipped onto my visor.

Thanks to all who helped pull this tutorial together.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

THe auto dim mirror can be acquired at https://www.gmpartspros.net/oem-parts/gm-mirror-inside-13581082?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9Z2xhc3Mtd2luZHNoaWVsZCZsPTEwJm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9Y2hldnJvbGV0Jm89c2lsdmVyYWRvLTE1MDAmeT0yMDE5JnQ9bHQmZT01LTNsLXY4LWdhcw%3D%3D for $116.05, part can be found under as Mirror Inside - GM (13581082) under the Glass- Windshield section.

First, a big thank you to the individual who located the connector in the roof console.  Second, thanks to all that have shared their input in this thread.  I too was initially disappointed that my 2020 LT Trail Boss didn’t have an auto dimming mirror when my 2011 LT Avalanche had one, so after reading all the posts, I decided to follow through.  

It took about an hour, but I’m sure I could do it in 30 minutes now.  It was a fairly painless process, and I was fortunate to only have a small dab of glue on the connector.  I even pulled it loose with my fingers.  Most importantly, thank you to all who have contributed on this thread.

A5805A04-BA36-4ECF-8DBA-F28493BB7A9C.jpeg.0e487a4b4429ab277ee77f8ff039a6cf.jpegA5F98F78-B367-4AC5-A115-4ACAE85FBFF2.jpeg.915084b7ad7fde05c2a814479f17f01d.jpeg5E273E38-13F4-4BDF-8C6F-676EA379FF8A.jpeg.3549dffc930111df5dbd2398ec974acd.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to know what the pricing is for the autodim mirror upgrade as well. And part #. :)

My RST came with a crappy manual mirror as well. Would love to upgrade it to 'at least' an auto dim feature. 

So after hours and hours I found out that the positive is going to be purple with the white stripe and your negative is going to be black with a white stripe; you can do this if you are hard wiring with those amazon kits that come with negative and positive. 

Violet , white. 12v source.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Do you if this is constant power or is it only activated with the truck on? Wanted to splice this for a dash cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mirror powers up when the truck is turned on. I verified this buy when I first hooked up the new mirror, nothing happened until I started the truck....only then could see the mirror dim.   I can't 100% confirm though that one of the pins isn't all time hot though...I just know the mirror doesn't power on until the truck is started.

• Like 1

Hi there,

I installed a dash cam and tapped off the mirror power wires. I can confirm purple/white 12v switched on and black/white is ground. The mirror power wire is only powered when the ignition is turned on or accessory power. Camera powers off when truck is switched off. I plan to do a how-to write-up for the dash cam install but just haven't gotten to it and still haven't purchased my auto-dim mirror. Pics of some of the install below.

wire taps.jpg

IMG_5519.JPG

mirror power.jpg

7 minutes ago, Stug said:

Hi there,

I installed a dash cam and tapped off the mirror power wires. I can confirm purple/white 12v switched on and black/white is ground. The mirror power wire is only powered when the ignition is turned on or accessory power. Camera powers off when truck is switched off. I plan to do a how-to write-up for the dash cam install but just haven't gotten to it and still haven't purchased my auto-dim mirror. Pics of some of the install below.

wire taps.jpg

IMG_5519.JPG

mirror power.jpg

Which mount is that you used on your camera ? looks like a new Blendmount type

It's the blend mount from my camaro that I traded in for my truck.  It works but really isn't the correct blend mount for the silverado but, right now don't really want to spend another $100 for a new mount when this one works just fine. Love their mounts for the clean install look.

That camera install is pretty amazing!  unfortunately, I'll never be able to take that plug out again due to the bad shape it's in from it being unnecessarily glued to the roof of the cab.