The heck with all that. Bought a Gentex auto dim w/compass off eBay for $65. Fed the wire into the headliner and down the RT windshield pillar to the fuse block. Literally took 25 minutes. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323872754730

7A0E6425-E5F8-429E-AFA7-4159B820D7CE.jpeg

I just installed the new plug and play auto dimming mirror.... Ugh...that was not a 20 minute install. My biggest issue was the amount of glue used to hold the hidden harness plug.  Wow, that sucker was stuck and glue was actually in the pin holes.  90 minutes, a couple of cuts on my hands, and some divine intervention (blind luck) at the end carried me through the project... 

My tips....

1. To take the large panel off of the mirror base, just grab it, squeeze and pull.  It pops right off.    You can remove the mirror screw and the mirror at that point and get it out of your way....and then detach the small panel.   NOTE that attaching the new mirror/panel is NOT the reverse order of removal.   More on that later.
  2. I have no idea how to separate the small and large panels without severely disfiguring the tabs....
  3. The screws that hold the onstar/light panel are T10 and T15. (not T9)  I didn't need any special hot glue or magnetic driver.  That part was easy in my opinion.
  4. The tough part was the connector glued down.  I cut around the glue as much as I could with a small screw driver.  I tried to use and exacto blade but it was too flimsy and one slip could cut wires.  I used the above member's method of cutting the glue back and grabbing the connector with a pair of pliers.  Well, I first cracked the connector slighty.  I tried again to remove more glue and tried again...after the 3rd try I was finally able to detach the connector.  Unfortunately one side of the connector remained attached and now the connector was broken.?  So BE CAREFUL grabbing the connector with a pair of pliers to break it free.
  5. There was one female terminal on the outside that was now not being held in well.  The white part fell off and I took that opportunity to clean the glue out of holes.  That part crumbled into 3 pieces easily so now there was nothing to hold the outer terminal or nothing to snap the connector in place.  Somehow, someway, I was able to insert the two white pieces and press the free terminal in enough and plug it all in!!  I honestly didn't think that last terminal would plug in, but it did....and I'm so lucky.
  6. NOTE:  The small and large panels around the NEW mirror need to assembled AFTER the mirror is plugged in and the mirror screw is torqued.  It can't be pre-assembled like when you removed it due to the mirror mount difference.   Mount the mirror and then reassemble the small and large panel around the mirror shaft and snap them together. 

Some fun pictures for you all.  May you not have as much glue as I did and then maybe this would be an easy 20 min job.

IMG_2565.JPG.d59904285bca832289da66435c1be574.JPGIMG_2567.JPG.753d446bb24d9ab54913a1dd6e4205e2.JPGIMG_2568.JPG.318ad9fdb84a90e6525bfaae83534389.JPG

Edited by Codeman00
  • Like 2

Yikes. This is exactly why I went the route I did. Sorry you had such a hard time.

Those considering this mod, may want to consider a Gentex universal unit from eBay. It includes everything you need (except fuse tap) and literally takes about 30 minutes (if that).

I just installed the new plug and play auto dimming mirror.... Ugh...that was not a 20 minute install. My biggest issue was the amount of glue used to hold the hidden harness plug.  Wow, that sucker was stuck and glue was actually in the pin holes.  90 minutes, a couple of cuts on my hands, and some divine intervention (blind luck) at the end carried me through the project... 
My tips....
  1. To take the large panel off of the mirror base, just grab it, squeeze and pull.  It pops right off.    You can remove the mirror screw and the mirror at that point and get it out of your way....and then detach the small panel.   NOTE that attaching the new mirror/panel is NOT the reverse order of removal.   More on that later.
  2. I have no idea how to separate the small and large panels without severely disfiguring the tabs....
  3. The screws that hold the onstar/light panel are T10 and T15. (not T9)  I didn't need any special hot glue or magnetic driver.  That part was easy in my opinion.
  4. The tough part was the connector glued down.  I cut around the glue as much as I could with a small screw driver.  I tried to use and exacto blade but it was too flimsy and one slip could cut wires.  I used the above member's method of cutting the glue back and grabbing the connector with a pair of pliers.  Well, I first cracked the connector slighty.  I tried again to remove more glue and tried again...after the 3rd try I was finally able to detach the connector.  Unfortunately one side of the connector remained attached and now the connector was broken.[emoji35]  So BE CAREFUL grabbing the connector with a pair of pliers to break it free.
  5. There was one female terminal on the outside that was now not being held in well.  The white part fell off and I took that opportunity to clean the glue out of holes.  That part crumbled into 3 pieces easily so now there was nothing to hold the outer terminal or nothing to snap the connector in place.  Somehow, someway, I was able to insert the two white pieces and press the free terminal in enough and plug it all in!!  I honestly didn't think that last terminal would plug in, but it did....and I'm so lucky.
  6. NOTE:  The small and large panels around the NEW mirror need to assembled AFTER the mirror is plugged in and the mirror screw is torqued.  It can't be pre-assembled like when you removed it due to the mirror mount difference.   Mount the mirror and then reassemble the small and large panel around the mirror shaft and snap them together. 

Some fun pictures for you all.  May you not have as much glue as I did and then maybe this would be an easy 20 min job.  I was lucky.

I will have to say I'm loving the auto dimming mirror.  It's just like my 2013 Silverado...   I didn't appreciate getting blinded and then flipping the tab only to not be able to see anything. 

I'm happy I made the mod even though it was hell.   (I wonder if heating up the glue/connector with a hair dryer would have helped?)

• Like 1

I will have to say I'm loving the auto dimming mirror.  It's just like my 2013 Silverado...   I didn't appreciate getting blinded and then flipping the tab only to not be able to see anything. 

I'm happy I made the mod even though it was hell.   (I wonder if heating up the glue/connector with a hair dryer would have helped?)

Dang, you had more glue than I did. I was worried about breaking the connector pulling on it with pliers but i did not have a better option. Glad it worked out in the long run.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Hey everyone,

I’ve read over and over that you just “gently squeeze and pull” the black plastic cover over the mirror and that this only takes “about 10min in total.” Guys, I’ve seriously been yanking on this black cover for 10 minutes and it’s not breaking loose. I feel like I’m missing something. Can anyone add more insight other than “gently pulling?” Does the small piece need to come off before the large piece? Can this safely be pried off with a plastic tool? I feel like I’m missing something. 

Hey everyone,

I’ve read over and over that you just “gently squeeze and pull” the black plastic cover over the mirror and that this only takes “about 10min in total.” Guys, I’ve seriously been yanking on this black cover for 10 minutes and it’s not breaking loose. I feel like I’m missing something. Can anyone add more insight other than “gently pulling?” Does the small piece need to come off before the large piece? Can this safely be pried off with a plastic tool? I feel like I’m missing something. 

There was nothing gentle about the squeeze. I grabbed it and squeezed it firmly, rocked it back and forth to remove it. It took some force.

Do not try to remove the small piece...remove it as a set.

I personally would detach the on star panel and make sure you can free the plug /harness before you remove the mirror. Just to make sure you don’t run into the excess glue problem like I did. Try heating with a hair dryer and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/1/2020 at 9:01 PM, Codeman00 said:

I destroyed my connector as well...there was an excessive amount of glue used to hold it in place on the headliner.

But, it still worked when plugged in.  Just all the locking features of the connector are not there anymore.  I may have zip tied it together...can't remember now.

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

I was able to use a plastic pry tool to pop the skinny piece in the middle off then the rest slides off

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok all

13 hours ago, Codeman00 said:

There was nothing gentle about the squeeze. I grabbed it and squeezed it firmly, rocked it back and forth to remove it. It took some force.

Do not try to remove the small piece...remove it as a set.

I personally would detach the on star panel and make sure you can free the plug /harness before you remove the mirror. Just to make sure you don’t run into the excess glue problem like I did. Try heating with a hair dryer and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help. I was able to get this done in about 30 min. The previous explanations of how to perform this repair were excellent help. I'll add a few things. 

- Prying off the black cover - I ended up using a screwdriver with a towel to prevent damage. A nylon pry tool would have been the right thing for the job. Start on one side to pry as you pull, it will break loose and work around. Gently pulling as others described did not work for me. 
- Removing the mirror - it has two ball joints. As I was trying to rotate the black cover out of the way I hadn’t realized it has two ball joints, one at the mount and one at the mirror. I was able to flex both down and move the cover to access the covet to access the torx. 

- Separating these two pieces after removal of the mirror - I should have taken a pic, but I was able to use a small screwdriver blade and push the locking part of the plastic tab back out of the way of the catch. I pulled these apart no problem after that, no damage. 

- Prying the "L" pieces off the onstar / light unit. Start at the part near the lights and gently work around. No problems here. 

- Now for the glued connector. I used a small flat blade screwdriver and poked around the exposed edges of the connector and gently pried. This took a lot of finesse and patience. I don't think you could have directed heat on the glue enough to do anything with a hairdryer, but saving this for when its sat in the sun during the summer might have helped. Be patient, and keep working the edge. One caution is towards the end, I didn't realize there were holes in the plastic headliner backer, one of which was under the connector where it was glued. I almost poked the screwdriver through the headliner cloth on accident. In the end, the connector only had a small dab of glue to peel off, and clicked in to the new mirror just fine. Dang that is some tacky stuff. 

- Re - assembly - Connect mirror, mount it and set screw, large plastic cover, small cover, then the torn screws in the on star unit. Some people explained difficultly here with the larger recessed screws. Magnetize your driver, and keeping poking at it until you line up. Had both done quickly. 

Thanks to all on the forum, this is pretty easy, but only because of the steps others have posted. I hope this additional info is helpful. 
Glad my 2019 now has auto dim like my 2007 did, although my 2007 had the temp in the mirror which was an added continence. 

Edited by bobboberton1
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 1:06 PM, Semedar said:

If y’all need the part number or info on that rear view wire cover for the 2019 Chevy Silverado, here’s the info for it. It’s only about $10.

According to my receipt, I believe the part number is 84049173. And it’s called SL-N-Cover (16067-CT).

It’s a special order from the dealer and would probably take a week until they receive it.

01DE54FD-7279-451E-A11A-F1B45364BC04.jpeg

Did this work for you ? Did you have to buy other parts as well?

Reading all the comments here, I’ve come to the conclusion that GM didn’t land this hidden connector to land this upgrade easy. I think they landed this connector to cut down on headliner harness part #s. The glueing down seems like the route they took so no rattling would be heard. They should should have used a clip slot retention instead of hot glue to secure the connector.