The official ordering, production & delivery thread - 2019 Silverado / Sierra

With the announcement over a month ago from the GM executives that “help is on the way”, I expected there to be a lot more movement.  My dealer and my order have seen none.  The only thing working in my favor at this point is the deal I negotiated on the truck back in January when I ordered it.  I would much rather have the truck though.  

Never thought I’d see the end of July without seeing the truck.   GM must be ok with absorbing the cost of building it and letting it sit with 6 months.  

I guess I'm the newest member of this not so desirable club!  Looked at a 1500 LT that was listed as, "in Transit," to a local dealer for several days and then I put a deposit on a purchase order for this vehicle on July 2.  I figured that if it was, "in transit," then it should be here in a week or so, right? 

After two weeks I inquired of the dealer who said he had no information and could not get any.  I chatted on Chevrolet.com and they said, " as of July 9, 2021 your vehicle is bade in distribution center in Baltimore Maryland waiting for the carrier to pick up the vehicle for dispatch."  They said they would call me on Monday. I said fine.  Here is how that went : "I received a call on Monday from a lady with a very strong accent that was hard to understand. She said she was calling for Jeff. She said there was good news that my car was shipped. She said it was in Ohio shipping by rail to Florida. I said this made no sense because I was told on this messaging service on Friday that it was in Baltimore, MD, which is about 130 miles from the dealer in Ashland, VA.  Ohio is about 500 miles from the dealer and Florida is about 800 miles from the dealer. She talked about distribution centers and vehicle inspections and said my car was in shipment. I asked her when it would be at the dealer. She said I should call the dealer. I told her the dealer had no information. I told her this was not acceptable and totally useless information. I asked her where she was calling from and she replied, " The Philippines."

I chatted at Chevrolet.com the next day and, after a long delay, they said the truck was in Baltimore, event description 4000, awaiting inspection and shipment, and advised checking with the dealer.  Of course, the dealer knows nothing! So, here I am in limbo along with the rest of you!

GM doesn’t care!  They tell you to call the dealer like they’re the ones building it.  Meanwhile it sits in the parking lot beside the factory and GM tells you they can’t talk to anyone who works at the factory to find out when it’ll be completed.

Can someone point me to the answer to my production questions?

I ordered a 2022 Sierra 3500HS LTE double cab, long bed.  They gave me a set of pages listing the build that looked like a variant off the GM web site format.  A few days later I made a couple changes and they sent back pages in a different format that I believe is the output from the dealer's ordering group entry into the GM production database (I am calling it the GM database..it is probably called something different).  Looking over this second set of pages I found many missing options.

After another session at the dealer, it appears that when the order is entered in the GM database, the components to a package that will actually be included at that time are chosen by GM.  For example, Driver Alert I or 2, may only have some of the components you believe will be included from their sales literature.  In my case such items as Rear Cross Traffic Alert (UFG), Lane Departure Warning (UFL) and many more are not included.  WOW!  The cost of a package is less because components are missing but still that does not help me meet my requirements.

Is it a weekly crap shoot to have the dealer review the order every week to see if it can be locked in when all the components are offered for a package?  What should be expected these days ordering a truck?

Thanks,

Pat

Edited by mobilelists

On 7/11/2021 at 10:25 PM, dascenc said:

I just traded in my 2020 RST 4x4 Z71 with 17K miles and they gave me 50K for it. Used ones are currently going for 52+ in my area. Mid 40s is where I bought it last year before everything took a nosedive. 

Well, after shopping around for the past few weeks, I was able to purchase a '21 Cherry Red Crew cab RST with the Z71 pkg.  I just picked it up today. 

Edited by mrbflat

15 hours ago, mrbflat said:

Well, after shopping around for the past few weeks, I was able to purchase a '21 Cherry Red Crew cab RST with the Z71 pkg.  I just picked it up today. 

Love that color!  We need some pics when you get the time. 👍

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mrbflat said:

We had a pretty big thunderstorm last night, so I really couldn't get any pics. This is a quick shot I took this morning.  I didn't even realize they changed from the Cajun Red to this Cherry Red for '21. 

20210728_064852.jpg

• Like 1

My dealer doesn't even pretend anyone can help me anymore. He says their reps have no information or options. I'm standing by my order just because the same truck will cost me $7000 more if I start over. They have got 30 trucks in this month. Not one is mine. One truck load from Mexico and the rest from Fort Wayne where my truck is. 

On 7/22/2021 at 10:54 AM, SLTBlue said:

With the announcement over a month ago from the GM executives that “help is on the way”, I expected there to be a lot more movement.  My dealer and my order have seen none.  The only thing working in my favor at this point is the deal I negotiated on the truck back in January when I ordered it.  I would much rather have the truck though.  

Never thought I’d see the end of July without seeing the truck.   GM must be ok with absorbing the cost of building it and letting it sit with 6 months.  

My guess is it is actually favorable to their P&L to incur the storage costs if it allows manufacturing to continue.  If they are manufacturing, the costs to build the truck (labor, utilities, etc.) can be capitalized to inventory.  More importantly it also allows them to capitalize the costs of related building and machinery/equipment depreciation as well.  If the factory is idle, those costs may have to go directly to P&L.  For sure it uses more cash in the short term that goes on the balance sheet as inventory, but that is favorable to short term expense.  Either way, any profit margin is deferred until the product is actual sold.

In normal years, the concern is whether the inventory can be sold at a profit.  Seems this year that shouldn't be an issue, but time will tell.

Edited by GullLakeMi

14 hours ago, SLTBlue said:

Same exact situation here, so at least you’re in good company.  

What has your dealer done to “escalate” it? 

GM Rep has made calls to try and get it and also the Zone Manager. Clearly there is no orderly fashion at the plants/storage area.  Chip was put in back in June.  At that point you would think send it to the Rail.  

5 hours ago, GMCFAN21 said:

GM Rep has made calls to try and get it and also the Zone Manager. Clearly there is no orderly fashion at the plants/storage area.  Chip was put in back in June.  At that point you would think send it to the Rail.  

A Chevy chat rep told me a couple of weeks ago that there was an update as of 6/28 that said it was released from quality control. At the time I thought it meant the chip had been installed and I got happy. A month later still no shipment, but if you also heard something similar maybe it really is just waiting for shipment. Not sure if I should be hopeful or even more pissed at that hah.