Mobil 1 Truck & SUV

2 hours ago, qwank said:

I'm a GM tech for 19 years, Shop foreman at my current dealership.  Of the hundreds of engines I've seen replaced, GM has NEVER once asked for proof of oil change receipts or documentation of what oil was used.  And I've replaced some really sludged up engines  that had no business being warrantied. Oil is oil, get it changed in 3-5k miles and don't hypermile your oil changes out to 10-15K and you'll never have a problem.   

Aftermarket 3rd party warranties will sometimes ask for proof of maintenance. Very rarely though.   

We all wish we could use your service department I’m sure :thumbs:

1 minute ago, SS502 said:

We all wish we could use your service department I’m sure :thumbs:

If a dealership is asking for this stuff it's because THEY don't want to help you out and are looking for ways to deny service to you.  Just call the GM customer care hotline and they will make sure your vehicle gets fixed, Or bring it to another dealership  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, qwank said:

If a dealership is asking for this stuff it's because THEY don't want to help you out and are looking for ways to deny service to you.  Just call the GM customer care hotline and they will make sure your vehicle gets fixed, Or bring it to another dealership  

Thank you, always nice to have real world experience chiming in :thumbs:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, qwank said:

here's a 4.3L in a 2015 silverado that the customer was really proud of his extended oil change intervals and couldn't understand why his engine was making noise. 

Do you have any more details on this such as miles between oil changes or oil type? Curious how it got that bad.

When I worked at Mercedes as a tech, Mercedes said 15k intervals on oil changes (Mobil 1 synthetic). But if you bought it new from my dealer, they’d pay for you to come in every 7500 miles and get a “free” oil change. 

I always found that pretty strange. The German guys said 15k, but my dealer said let’s cut that in half at our expense. So I can only assume they knew 7500 was a much safer bet and would keep the engines running better for longer and ensuring the customer was happy. That and they’d just try to upsell some other service at the 7500 mile change. 

Why are so many people in this thread just taking random stabs at when to change their oil?  Do an oil analysis and actually know. 

Example.  My BMW is a twin turbo, DI motor running 2x stock boost.  I always run Mobil 1 synthetic. I run the hell out of that car.  I did an oil analysis on a little over 6000 miles and about a year.  Mixed city/highway driving.  No extended trips that oil change. 

Result - I could have safely went longer.  Viscosity was spot on.  Oil was still clean enough to safely go another 1500-2000 miles before actually being due. No fuel dilution. 

15k is bad. But 7500 isn't a big deal at all. 

Why are so many people in this thread just taking random stabs at when to change their oil?  Do an oil analysis and actually know. 

Example.  My BMW is a twin turbo, DI motor running 2x stock boost.  I always run Mobil 1 synthetic. I run the hell out of that car.  I did an oil analysis on a little over 6000 miles and about a year.  Mixed city/highway driving.  No extended trips that oil change. 

Result - I could have safely went longer.  Viscosity was spot on.  Oil was still clean enough to safely go another 1500-2000 miles before actually being due. No fuel dilution. 

15k is bad. But 7500 isn't a big deal at all. 

Probably because companies like Mobil 1 and others say you can go 10-15K or longer. And car manufacturers are all over the place. Then you have people with pictures of sludge in engines from extended oil changes. Then you fine out some of the wording on the oil containers are disingenuous. Most people don’t have the time for oil analysis. And 5K miles is a reasonable amount for synthetic. Most of us remember 3K on reg oil was the norm. That’s probably why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Analysis doesn't tell the whole story. While I've only had it done once on my personal truck it was routine in my industry under my management. I can tell you that if you send the same samples to three different labs...you get three different answers and three different opinions. Close granted but different and when you are talking about fractions of a centistoke on a pass/fail.....  You can google analysis and find a template they all use for additive and wear levels and the likely causes for elevated this or that. What you can't get is an accurate reference point. Levels of tin, lead, copper, for instance are all unique to a particular bearing composition. Wear rates are subject to load levels, not just the oils wear add pack. Fuel used and even sample methods affect results. While you can get a report on a single sample advice on a single same is useless and at over a hundred a pop for the service the oil change is cheaper than the analysis even if it doubles  your OCI. So the point is?????? Just change your oil and keep her in tune. 

You might not get this especially if your younger but us old farts actually have enough experience, have changed enough oil, have used enough products and opened enough motors of sufficient mileage to actually know what works and what doesn't despite the industries propensity to lie though their teeth. 

1 minute ago, KARNUT said:

Probably because companies like Mobil 1 and others say you can go 10-15K or longer. And car manufacturers are all over the place. Then you have people with pictures of sludge in engines from extended oil changes. Then you fine out some of the wording on the oil containers are disingenuous. Most people don’t have the time for oil analysis. And 5K miles is a reasonable amount for synthetic. Most of remember 3K on regular oil was the norm. That’s probably why.

And then there is that. Not something only oil companies do. Lying seems to be a business plan these days. 

I’m a firm believer in oil analysis. Not every time of course, or hell, really just once. 

I did 3 at once on my truck, my bike and wife’s car. All at the regular change interval with our version of normal driving. Each one came back with what I needed to adjust my maintenance schedule. 

I needed to do an oil change earlier on my old truck, I could stretch her car and the bike out further. Now you could keep fine tuning that by doing more samples, but for $99 I got a good base line strategy that further emphasized what I figured it would say, but wasn’t sure. 

On my old truck, it was mostly short trips and no highway. With Mobil 1, I needed to change it every 1800 miles. 

Wifes car with same oil, We could go 7000 miles, she didn’t do highway much but 28 miles to work and back, so engine had plenty of time to warm up. 

On my bike, Mobil 1 with 1800 miles and 18 months in the bike, they said it still looked brand new. But that bike was strictly a highway bike. 

Once we get into a normal routine with the new truck (we drive it much more on weekends than we did old truck) I plan on doing an analysis on it and her car since she doesn’t drive that far to work now. I feel like I know what it will say from past experience, but for $70 I’ll know for sure. 

Did anyone perform oil analysis back in the 70's 80's or 90's ????

Growing up my Dad worked at GM and owned a several GM trucks and cars during those three decades.

His preferred Oil of choice was Quaker State. Why? I have no idea and never asked as a youngster growing up watching and helping him

change oil in our cars, trucks, small engines and tractors on the farm.

Not dogging on those of you so Oil specific these days and to each their own. But some of this Analysis talk seems overrated in some instances.

Todays Oils are Far Superior than those of yesterday's conventional.

I personally see no great benefit in spending thousands of dollars more over the life of a vehicle to Premium oils when off the shelf products should

work fine as directed by recommended maintenance intervals. 

Of course one's driving style and climate/geography can play a huge part in these intervals.

I have been using Mobil 1 products for two decades now with no Ill effects.

Some even swear by Amazon Basics Premium Synthetic for $20 a jug.

Did anyone perform oil analysis back in the 70's 80's or 90's ????
Growing up my Dad worked at GM and owned a several GM trucks and cars during those three decades.
His preferred Oil of choice was Quaker State. Why? I have no idea and never asked as a youngster growing up watching and helping him
change oil in our cars, trucks, small engines and tractors on the farm.
Not dogging on those of you so Oil specific these days and to each their own. But some of this Analysis talk seems overrated in some instances.
Todays Oils are Far Superior than those of yesterday's conventional.
I personally see no great benefit in spending thousands of dollars more over the life of a vehicle to Premium oils when off the shelf products should
work fine as directed by recommended maintenance intervals. 
Of course one's driving style and climate/geography can play a huge part in these intervals.
I have been using Mobil 1 products for two decades now with no Ill effects.
Some even swear by Amazon Basics Premium Synthetic for $20 a jug.

Yes Quaker State. In Jersey in the 60s and 70s every 3K miles. All the way till the 90s then Amsoil. I almost forgot slick 50 and STP was a big deal, use slick 50 a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk