Huge GM Truck Brake Recall Announced by NHTSA - Is Yours On The List?

Gorehamj

silverado 18 bowtie.jpeg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9-11-2019

General Motors has announced that NHTSA is mandating a safety recall for the following vehicles:

• 2014-2018 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Pickups (1500 / 2500 / 3500)
  • 2015-2018 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe, GMC Yukon vehicles 
  • 2015-2017 Cadillac Escalade

NHTSA reports that the amount of vacuum created by the vacuum pump may decrease over time. The group says that as the vacuum level drops, the brake assist decreases, and that this increasing braking effort, extending the distance required to stop the vehicle, thereby increasing the risk of a crash. This new recall covers 3.4 million vehicles

The Problem: The brake pump uses engine oil to lubricate itself. If the pump becomes clogged with engine oil sludge the units ability to create vaccum is diminished over time. As a result, braking force and ability also drops. The issue is usually accompanied by a "Service Brake Assist" warning message in the dash. 

The Fix: GM will reprogram the computer that controls the secondary brake assist pump. The secondary pump will now activate at lower speeds and different situations quicker to compensate for any lost output from the main pump. Since the pumps are not failing, GM has decided not to replace them.

GM's number for this recall is N192268490. In compliance with federal law, GM will notify owners, typically by snail mail. GM says that its dealers will reprogram the Electronic Brake Control Module. However, GM has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-630-2438, Cadillac customer service at 1-800-458-8006 or GMC customer service at 1-800-462-8782.

If you own one of these vehicles and wish to check to see if your vehicle is included (or not) you can do so at this link immediately.

As with every safety recall, customers will not be charged by GM for the needed repairs or modifications. 

NHTSA's public information on this issue indicates that many accidents have been reported to NHTSA including some with injuries. This recall is the result of a NHTSA investigation that lasted nearly a year. In its investigation report, NHTSA noted the following details about the problem:

These conditions are attributed to deterioration of the engine-driven brake assist vacuum pump. Nine of these incidents included vehicles incurring damage as a result colliding with another vehicle or fixed object at low speeds. The brake assist vacuum pump is driven by an accessory belt on the engine and serves as the source of power brake vacuum in the subject vehicles. Over time, the pump's capacity to generate vacuum may deteriorate. The subject vehicles receive supplemental hydraulic brake assist from the ABS system, albeit at lower levels than the vacuum-powered primary system. If the brake assist vacuum pump fails to operate as intended, the amount of brake power assist supplied to the driver can be significantly reduced, extending the subject vehicle stopping distance.

• Like 1

Looks like enough people complained to NHTSA about their sudden rock hard brake pedal and GM was forced to issue recall. 

I can set the service brake assist off just by pumping brake pedal a few times idling at a stoplight. My 2018 has the revised pump. Aka 2 piece pump (black cover on back) vs the early 1 piece cast pump. 

Edited by 2018GMC

11 minutes ago, NoProblem said:

Well shoot! It doesn't look like they'll foot the bill for new brakes, which at about 64k miles I think I need because they are starting to pulsate when I brake now.

Why would they pay for new rotors and pads? Booster is the issue. What you have is normal wear. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, econometrics said:

I'm all the more happy now that I did NOT buy a leftover new 2018 1500 back in March, but went with at 2019 T1 instead. 

What a huge recall, though. Wow. 

Hope I am wrong but just give ya 19 some time......

Yotaman

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, econometrics said:

I'm all the more happy now that I did NOT buy a leftover new 2018 1500 back in March, but went with at 2019 T1 instead. 

What a huge recall, though. Wow. 

It looks like some are having issues with their 2019.

Who knows if it's the same problem though but for knowledge and what not.

The fix by gm is a joke. All there doing is some programming. Just a band aid fix. I didn't even know we had a secondary pump. On my 2018 Sierra with only 6000 miles when i stop at a stop sign and i pump the brakes they get very hard. I have never had a problem with normal braking.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BillthePainter said:

153000 miles and no issues.  Strange, I didn't even know it had a vacuum pump. Just the good old fashioned brake booster.

I wonder if the issues are related to deferred maintenance.  Not changing the oil often enough.

I thought the same thing... coming up on 80,000 on mine, and still the best feeling brake system I've ever had underneath me.